HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
dberg

2 years of Herceptin

At my last visit I asked my onc about getting my port out when I finish up my "late" herceptin in June. He said I should hold on to it because they "really don't know" how long to give it and he wouldn't be opposed to another year, like the 2 year arm of the HERA trial. Has anybody else been offered another year?
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Tami

I asked my onc and together we decided one year was enough. I sat with our decision for a couple of weeks before I felt it was the right decision. Dx'd 4/03, 1.4 cm, sentinel node pos. rest neg., er-pr-, her2+++. There wasn't any hera data available and I knew there wouldn't be for months. I had originally thought I would stay on it forever but grew tired of the port, mugas every 3 months and IVs every 3 weeks. We did a brain MRI, bone scan and CT/pet scan before I had the port removed....wanted to be sure nothing had slipped past the lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and herceptin. So far so good. I think it is a very personal decision and wish you the best with your decision.

best,
tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Michelle

I have been offered the two yrs. of herceptin. My original dx was 1.9cm, node neg. , er+/pr+, her2+++. My muga'a started out low at 56, but have held so far. Im not really sure what ki67 is - mine was high.I have deciced to go with the two yrs, as the biggest inconveince for me is finding a sitter for my 2 yr. old. I will continue with this as long as my muga's allow. Best wishes to you.
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
jener8er

I too am doing 2 years - my tumor was small, 1cm, but my underarm lymph nodes were huge at 4cm. My onc has said this was a very aggressive tumor that REALLY wanted to spread. But so far, so good. I have more scans coming up next week so will be holding my breath until then, but hopefully the Herceptin will keep things in check. I just hope there's no rogue cells wandering around that will decide to grow once I stop the Herceptin. You have to decide how much of an inconvenience it is in your life. For me, I like being followed closely by a doc every 3 weeks.
Take care
Jen
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
Monique M

I am in my second year of herceptin. (Dx in 08/30/2004, 4.1 cm, ER/P Neg, HER2+++, 2 lymph nodes with microscopic involvement). I am fortunate to run my own business and have no problem with taking a day off (I drive 8 hours round trip to my oncologist's office) to get my herceptin. My MUGA has actually improved over the last 14 months! While I realize no one understands the full effect of Herceptin-- the good and the bad, we felt the second year was the right thing to do for my situation.

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote