HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
LOPSIDED

Question Mastectomy----not Having Reconstruction

IS ANYONE ELSE NOT HAVING RECONSTRUCTION AFTER MASTECTOMY? I JUST CAN'T BEAR THE THOUGHT OF SURGERY. I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF RADIATION AND WILL HAVE TO DO 1 YEAR OF HERCEPTIN WKLY TREATMENTS. I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE LEAVE TIME AT WORK. I WAS JUST OFF FOR 3 MONTHS (FMLA) WHILE I FINISHED UP WITH CHEMO (12 TAXOTERE WKLY TREATMENTS) AND STARTED RADIATION. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I AM THE ONLY ONE NOT DOING RECONSTRUCTION.
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Yorkiegirl

I didn't have reconstruction. I had a Mod. Rad Mas on the right side last April.

This past January I had a simple Mastecomy done on my left side due increased
microcalfications.

I also didn't want to thru any more surgery and for me this is the best.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
dogladybarks

I had a right, radical mastectomy this past July. Reconstruction wasn't offered, and I was not interested. In my opinion, there's too much risk for additional problems with this procedure. There are worse things in life, than being lopsided.

Sue
dogladybarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
CLTann

Add my name to the list of those without reconstruction. We have more important things to deal with. All matters is your own state of mind.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Alice

Smile

I had a right mast in oct 05 with radiation ending in feb 06. I know the options for reconstruction after rad. are a little different than without rads.I'm with you in the feeling right now that I just can't bear the thought of another surgery. I know with some of the proceedures it takes more than one. I also don't like the option of loosing some of my back muscles as the stomach proceedure is not an option for me. I guess for now I will just be lopsided It's not that bad all things considered. I may feel different in a couple of years.

Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Lisa

No reconstruction here. I have occasionally wished I'd had both removed for "equality" sake. But I have no regrets. Reconstruction is not a simple surgery. I chose no.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Monica

I had a mastectomy on my right side over two years ago. I spoke to a couple of plastic surgeons about options, but in the end I decided I simply wasn't up to having more surgery. My body had been through enough and then some. After I made the decision, I felt incredibly relieved. Now, two years later, I am actually planning to see one of the plastic surgeons this week - mainly because I want to wear whatever I feel like during the summer. I'm only interested in the least invasive surgery - implants - which has the fewest complications and fastest recovery. We'll see how I feel this coming week after talking to the surgeon - I may decide I want to wait longer. The bottom line is you'll know when and if you're ready.
Best,
Monica
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
sassy

plenty of time....

I had left modified mast Feb 05 and have not had recon. The option is still open to me and my insurance will pay for it for up to three years after the initial surgery. So I do not feel pressured to make that decision right now. I know there are other women who have had recon many years after mast. Don't feel like you have to work under anyone's time frame except your own.

Sassy
________
Web Shows

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:44 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Lolly

I had a left mrm at primary diagnosis with no reconstruction, then 2 & 1/2 years when NED a right simple mast due to increased micro calcifications, still no reconstruction. I'm flatter than a fritter and don't mind it at all.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
jener8er

I just got my recon surgery date this week - had left Mod Rad Mast 10/04. Wish I'd done both, then I probably wouldn't bother with the recon. I'm having prophylactic mast with bilateral DIEP recon (that sounds SO technical!) June 21st. Vowed not to consider it until this year, but I hate being lopsided. Would rather have nothing at all. Hope that I feel more "even" after this major surgery, then I'll be done and won't have to worry about the "good" side every 6 months. This is a personal decision and you will do what's right for YOU. Good luck!
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
fourboysmom

Thumbs up

Hi, I sound alot like you. Chemo and mastectomy was plenty to deal with. Then 36 rads and now herceptin for a year. Sometimes I get discouraged with my body image, but I can't handle, physically or financially, reconstruction yet. I just ordered online a mastectomy swimsuit and its so pretty. You are not alone!!! Love, Janet in CT
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Sue2001

I'm with you

I had a right mastectomy in 2001 and have been happy being lopsided for the past 5 years. My doctor really pushed me to get a reconstruction and was surprised when I decided not to have it done. If you decide not to have the reconstruction now then you can always change your mind down the road. The main thing is that you should do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

My best to you, Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
suzan w

Add me to the list of no reconstruction...bilateral mastectomy June '05
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Johanna Johannsdottir

Had mastectomy in januar 2002 and no reconstruction. I thought it over and my conclusion was that I have never got a job because of my breasts (or don't think so, but one never knows???)
My thoughts and feelings iare not in this breast but in my brain and heart. Also I breastfeaded my healthy 8 year old son for nine months.

I asked around and found out the compication was more than benifit for me. NB this is a decission you alone can take. I was 44 when the surgery was done but younger mabe, I donĀ“t know.

I go to swimming-pools and gym without any complications and walk amoung other women and don't care what they think. Hopefully they think that they will take care and try to avoid this situation, specially the younger ones. I use specially designed bras and swimsuits. The only proplem is that I have to wear a jacket or something looose over a tight sweater.

With or without a breast I'm the same person as before, even better!!!
Johanna Johannsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
jhandley

Amazon

I am not interested in reconstruction...have plenty of other more important things to worry about..like staying in remission.
Cheers
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote