HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
MaryAnn-CA

No recent follow-up data from BCIRG006?

Hello everyone, I just completed treatment for Her2 positive cancer in my right breast. I chose to have a lumpectomy, followed by TCH chemotherapy (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin), and radiation. For me, the difficult choice was whether to use the TCH chemo regimen or the more well-proven ACTH. I chose TCH to hopefully avoid the potential heart problems associated with Adriamycin. I expected that by now there would be additional follow-up data released on the BCIRG006 study which supported the use of TCH. But no more follow-up data has been released since the 2006 data. What does this mean? I am curious to know how BCIRG006 participants are doing after two more years have passed. Mary Ann
MaryAnn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
bonnie

I was in the BCIRG006 study, stage 2A, 3.8 cm tumor, no positive nodes. I had a lumpectomy followed by TCH chemotherapy, and radiation. I just had my 5-year oncology follow-up and there is still no evidence of disease! So far so good!

Bonnie
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Debbie L.

no news is good (or boring) news?

Hi MaryAnn,

I too have been wondering why no news on any of the adjuvant studies that began reporting in 2005. Nothing at SABCS this year, for example.

Yesterday I was listening to a bcupdate podcast (always interesting - I like to hear the experts chatter among themselves, and disagree - again a reminder of so much we don't know). Anyway - someone made the same comment about no further reports about adjuvant Herceptin and the response was that when studies take longer than expected to report results, it's almost always because nothing much is happening - iow there are no huge differences between the treatments being studied, no safety cautions, etc.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

The follow up period is usually stated in the trial design. If the design only called for a 2 year follow up, don't expect any further information.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
MaryAnn-CA

Thank you Bonnie, Debbie and Joe for your responses. Bonnie, I am thrilled to hear that you are doing so well 5 years out! Thank you so much for posting. Debbie and Joe, I appreciate your insights into why we may not be seeing further results. Debbie, I take the comment you heard to mean good news, i.e., that the study data results are holding up. Joe, I will see if I can determine what the study design was. Thanks again!
MaryAnn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Debbie L.

more to come

Hi again. I don't think that BCIRG 006 is done yet. The 3-year report was an interim analysis, for one thing. On their website they say that "BCIRG continues to closely monitor patients for long-term efficacy and safety analyses."

I'm in the control group of another big adjuvant Herceptin study - NSABP B-31. They told me they would be following me "forever" which seems rather a long time (smile) but they do still check on my status yearly (I enrolled in 2001).

I'm curious to see more results not so much to see more efficacy information about Herceptin itself as to see what they find about recurrence rates (and locations) over time, related to HER2, ERPR, Herceptin, etc. And to see what we learn about anthracyclines. And of course duration of Herceptin - that's an important question.

Although I guess by the time we have all the info that we want, much of it will be moot. They'll be saying "well it's interesting to know that about Herceptin but since we now know that "brand Z" offers better survival advantage and has less toxicity, information about Herceptin is no longer relevant". Just imagine.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
KymAustralia

Bcirg006

Hi Mary ann,

I too was enrolled in this trial and was randomised into the AC -> TH arm of the trial after being dx'd Stage 2 HER2+++ breast cancer in November 2002 at the age of 44.
Still going strong and NED and of the ladies I have kept in touch with who were also on the trial I don't know of any recurrances!

The trial is ongoing as far as I know. I know the trial nurse still organises my routine check ups

Love and Light

Kym
Her2 +++ Er pos
1 x Pos Node of 14
Entered BCIRG 006 Trial Jan '03
4 x AC 4 x Taxotere 30 Rads
1 year Herceptin
5 years Arimadex
Total hysterectomy (came out of chemopause) March '04
2012 - Still NED
KymAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
VIVIANE

Question percentage of recurrence rates Of Her2+ breast cancer after one year of Herceptin

Hello everyone, I completed treatment for Her2 positive cancer 4 years ago . I have a lumpectomy, followed by chemotherapy , Herceptin, and radiation. I expected that by now there would be additional follow-up data released on the HERA trial . But no more follow-up data has been released since the 2007 .

I'm curious to see more results not so much to see more efficacy information about Herceptin itself as to see the percentage of recurrence rates , related to HER2, ER+PR+,ER+PR-, ER-PR+,ER-PR- and that's an important question.

Thank you