HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
joyce lutz

Decadron Wean

For those of you who have weaned off of this steroid or who have tried to do so can you please tell me what side effects you experienced while doing the process? My daughter had a craniotomy 11/8 and waas put on 24mg of decadron for 8 days and has now been weaned down to 5 mg/day and gets easily aggitated, angry, has trouble thinking of words and cries often over little things and we are wondering if this is from the wean-down or if something else is going on in the brain. Thanks and my best to you
joyce lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Decadron Wean

Hello Joyce -
Your daughter is having normal weaning side effects. At least those were the ones I had when I had to take and then come off that dreaded drug.

Having to take the drug every 8 hours is like putting your body on a roller coaster. You are UP and then DOWN. And it is all messing with your normal inner workings.

You may notice she gets very talkative and excitable after about 4 hours. Then she wants to crash, but just when you get to where you can sleep the drug kicks in again.

She may experience pains in her legs or elsewhere if she weans too fast. I had acute pain in my legs and had to step back up a bit for a couple of days and try to go down again, which worked that second time.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Survivor2be

That was a lot of steroids for her to be on, especially of she's only on 8 now. She probably needs to up the dose a little, then wean more slowly, like 2 mg every week-10 days. Talk to ur doc!!
Tissue expanders and fill
Radiation to breast and axilla

Breast recurrence on radiation: 9/2011 now HER2 +
This time HER2 positive, started herceptin

Brain metastasis: 10/2011
Surgery to remove lesion 11/2011

All cancer gone 11/17/2011

Confident I will outlive my oncologist!!!
Survivor2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
joyce lutz

Hi gals - Yes we have spoken to her docs to NO avail. They can put you on this crap but don't know how to get you off of it! I have also read that these side effects are from long term use of decadron too so which is it - long term use or weaning off of it!!?? We are just so upset and confused and no one, including the docs have any answers! Anyone else please chime in. My best to you all
joyce
Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
joyce lutz

Steph - my daughter takes 3mg in the a.m. and 2 in the pm around 4 or 5:00. She doesn't take it every 8 hours. She never has in fact. It's always been a dose in the a.m. and another in the p.m. ALWAYS the docs want her to wean off of it quicker than she can tolerate it and so she sets her own wean schedule slower than the doc's. She didn't have any of these issues until she began to wean down from the 24 mg she was given for 8 days in the hospital before the surgery. Then about day 14 she had them and they have steadily gotten worse which is why I thought it was from the wean down but then I saw many others who have been on it long term (she's been on it 1.5 years) and they exhibit these symptoms too. We are just so confused.