HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
DLL

Oophorectomy v. Lupron/Zoladex

Hello, I'd appreciate any information in helping me make a decision. I am pre-menopausal (though still in chemopause.) My oncologist has always said that because I am HIGHLY ER+, I should have my ovaries removed if there is ever another reason to "go in there." (I am BRAC 1 & 2 negative.)

Now my gynecologist, taking into account my oncologist's statement about the ovaries, recommends removing the ovaries to shut off the estrogen, which is causing benign ovarian cysts, thick endometrial lining and polyps in the uterus. This would be a laproscopic day surgery -- three small incisions in the abdomen.

Even though it is just a day surgery, I'm a little nervous about going under general anesthesia -- I had tachycardia and extreme vomiting during my lumpectomy/SNB -- plus facing the other risks of a surgery. So I am thinking about whether I should push for chemical ovarian ablation instead (e.g., Lupron, Zoladex). I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who have weighed this decision or have information that might shed light on the best route. What are the pros and cons of oopherectomy v. Lupron / Zoladex? (Note that I am 48 so permanent loss of fertility is of no concern to me.)

P.S. I have just started tamox, but would switch to an AI after the estrogen is shut off either surgically or chemically.

Thank you!!!!
Lumpectomy & SNB August 2008
Stage 1b: 1.1 cm; clear margins; 0 nodes
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
TCH 6 cycles 9-08 to 1-09
Herceptin continuing to 9-09
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

DLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Becky

Hi

I don't know the pros and cons of an ooph versus chemical ablation because I just went ahead and got the ooph. I was 46 at the time and the operation is almost 4 yrs behind me. I was in chemopause when I made the decision but by the time I got the operation 6 wks later, I got my period back (twice and very regular). I was not concerned with fertility anymore either and, like you, I had a thickened uterine lining. Secondly, I was only moderately ER+ and PR neg so Tamoxifen usually doen't work very well with a pathology like that but an AI tends to work better (and they do work better than Tamoxifen in general). I really wanted to take an AI to give myself the best chance so I went ahead with it. It is a simple procedure and doesn't cause very much discomfort at all. Recuperation is a breeze.

Since you know you feel nausea afterwards (as I did) just make sure you tell the doctor and the nurses. I "came too" and felt alittle sick and they immediately put something in my IV drip and it was gone instantaneously. Someone else will be able to give you good information on Lupron or Zoladex. I didn't even want to consider the option since I also wanted the ovaries out because my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer and I didn't want to take any chances with getting that next

I had the ooph the way you described (laproscopically - and there is absolutely no telltail signs outwardly that I did).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Shobha

DLL - Thanks for starting this thread. Becky, thanks for the info on your experience with the surgery.

I too am considering ooph since I have developed a cyst in my ovaries. They tell me it is a simple cyst and will go away on its own but now the worry has set in. There will be another ultrasound in two months to review the cyst.

I am weakly ER+ (~10%), and so I was never given Tamoxifen. I have been regular with my periods within two months of the chemopause.

Did you or anyone here experience any crazy (literally ) side effects of ooph...

love,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
DLL

Thank you, Becky! Very helpful.

Shobha, I do wonder if you can ease into menopause a tad more gradually (and easily??) with the drugs by slowly increasing the dosage, vs the suddenness of the oophorectomy? OR since I am now in chemopause, maybe I won't experience many/any additional symptoms after the ovaries are shut down??
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

Old 04-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Like Becky, I also decided on the ooph without considering any meds to shut down the ovaries. I ahd taken tamox for eight weeks but the potential serious side effects bothered me and as I was highly hormone pos it was an easy decision.
The surgery was the easiest I ever had and recovery was quick also.
I've been fortunate in having none of the side effects normally feared with menopause, the first couple of months after the ooph hot flashes were a problem but these diminished with time.
I had the ooph in '06 and have no regrets and have been taking arimidex ever since.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Cannon

Same here - I insisted on the ooph same day as my double mast. I had had a hysterectomoy for large fibroid tumors 8 months before by bc dx - and had them leave in my ovaries. I was also brca negative, but wanted to be as aggresive as possible (stage 3 at dx) - and that meant no ovaries, and onto an aromatase inhibitor. I was in chemopause already - and sudden menopause sucked - but not as bad as cancer.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Jackie07

I talked to a gynecologist within my HMO Tuesday and he said they only do hysterectomy and oophorectomy for women who had the onset of breast cancer before 40. He said it will cost $5000.00 to do the testing to see if I am still .... (Can't really remember what he said, my brain automatically shut down when I heard the cost involved.)

Since I've had two full-round of chemo in the past 6 years, I am hoping that everything is indeed shut down.

5-19 rev. : I told my oncologist about the [genetic] testing fee and he ordered the test for me so I won't get charged for it.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-02-2010 at 10:04 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Lien

I'm on Zoladex and have been since the end of 2004. It's a drag, but I tolerate the shots well. Had a strong period for two weeks and then it stopped. I did get hot flashes and I feel my ability to multitask and concentrate has diminished. My skin is ageing, but it probably would have anyway. My biggest complaint is, that I have no libido left. That's putting a strain on my marriage, even though we decided on doing this together. Also, the lining of the vagina is getting thin, which causes discomfort. All these things may happen with an Ooph as well, but I don't know about that. The Zoladex have to be repeated every three months, and they can be painful. Not big deal painful, but the needle is big and you need a doc who knows how to do it. I had to teach mine, and now the shots are not so bad.

I am hesitant to take biphosphonates because I already have trouble with my jaw, but you need to check for osteoporosis. I'd make sure they do a baseline Dexa scan before deciding on either solution. An AI might make your bones weaker as well. My boneloss seems to have gone very fast during the first two years, and has tapered off now. I'm borderline osteopenic. I try to exercise to keep my bones in good shape.

Some docs prescribe the once a month shots of Zoladex. That's a real hassle. I'm glad I'm on a 3 month schedule.

Hope this helps

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
DLL

Thanks, Jacqueline! I followed your advice, and I am going in for a baseline bone density DexaScan today. I met with my oncologist yesterday to discuss the ooph vs. Lupron routes, and she encouraged the ooph route, particularly with the (laparoscopic) ooph being just a quick day surgery and given that I have no need for my ovaries. She thought the side effects from stopping estrogen via the ooph are a bit easier to control than the side effects of Lupron.

Did any of you who had an oophorectomy (but left the uterus) have any irregular bleeding after you recovered? I have a friend who is a gyno surgeon (who practices in a different part of the country, so I can't use her) who mentioned that irregular bleading can be a consequence of having the ovaries out without also taking the uterus or at least doing endometrial ablation. My gyn surgeon is willing to take out the uterus, also, which would double the recovery time from 3/4 days to a week. But I've got a disabled child to take care of, so I like the shorter recovery time (and, yes, less extensive surgery.) Advice appreciated!!

(PS, I went to the hystersister site to research this, but got scared away by all the horror stories. I'm hoping that all those who had good experiences with oophs or hysts just don't have any need to post there...)
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Becky

I had no ooph problems but I had vaginal bleeding only because I had a simultaneous D&C. The D&C was so the gyne could do a full biopsy since I had the thickened uterine lining (which I mentioned before).

I have had no vaginal bleeding since about 3-4 days after the ooph (which was only due to the D&C)

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
DLL

Thank you, Becky!!! I am having a D&C also for the same reason. Glad to hear you had no bleeding problems from the ooph. Best to you!! Deb
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
tricia keegan

I had no bleeding whatsoever although did'nt need the D&C either.
I've been fortunate in terms of side effects and hope you will be too
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Marily

HI, I remained pre- menopausal after my chemo. We tried Lupron and it just did not work..(once they gave me a double dose ouch) We finally did the oophorectomy and it was easy and with no problems after. We did discuss removing everything and My surgeon said he would do a good look and if the uterus was ok the removal would continue with the scope. If there looked to be a problem then he would switch to abdominal Hysterectomy He feels one should not cut up things if there is a question of cancer and therefor would have to change to abdominal lap. to remove the uterus intact. We continue bone scans and so far I have been fine with replacements with vitamin D and Calcitrate twice daily. I too am on the watch for severe bone loss. I also was on tamox. and was told to get off it, by a Dr at an ASCO convention. So with surgical menopause I went on Aromasin. Do have some ot flashes and have noticed loss of sexual feelings. I am highly estrogen and progesterone pos so this was essential for me. Good luck in your choices... You are considering the right way and asking good questions.

hugs
Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #14
DLL

Hi, all. Thanks for advice and comments. For those checking this thread later and wondering about the operation itself, I want to report that the laparoscopic oophorectomy was an easy day surgery, no complications, minimal pain (tenderness, not sharp) for a couple of days that was easily controlled, QUICK recovery. Back at work 4 days later. NO REGRETS!!
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Becky

Great news DLL. It's an easy operation.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
Cannon

So glad it went well!
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote