HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2003, 08:39 AM   #1
Heather Neal

My oncologist wants me to switch from weekly to 3 weekly treatments of herceptin as there seems to be no sign of any mets after herceptin/navelbine combination last year. I'm understandably a little anxious about this as I feel certain my weekly shot is what has kept BC(round 2) at bay for the last 18 months. What is everyone else doing and what is working for them? I'm concerned I'm being asked to switch because it's more convenient for everyone (me included!) and that I haven't been given any medically proven reason why the switch should be made.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Christine

Heather,
I have been on the 3 week protocol for the last 6 months after being on it weekly the previous 4 years.

This has been accepted as almost the standard treatment here in the U.S. outside of clinical trials. This is made possible due to the limited side effects of Herceptin.

Convienience is certainly an issue, I know of several women in the midwest who must travel over 5 hours each way to their infusion center.

It also allows a measure of flexibility. If you are on vacation (holiday), you can skip a week without any harm. Certain physicians also feel that the initial concentration of Herceptin may be beneficial.

Hugs
Christine

Old 12-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Lolly

Heather,
I went from weekly to 3 weekly in April of '02, and still NED (Herceptin/Navelbine weekly from Jan. '01 to Aug.'01 then Herceptin weekly till April '02). I think the side effects have also lessened over time, whether that's due to 3 weekly I don't know, but it is definitely more convenient. I was fairly nervous also, and still watch every little change, but am starting to relax a little!
hugs,
Lolly
Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
lolam

once every 3 weeks works for me. I do not have a love affair with the cancer center as you all know.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #5
jessica

hi heather-
I tried to switch from weekly herceptin to the triple dose once every 3 week.i had a hard time with side effects after the triple dose-like a really bad flu, and then really deep muscle pain for the following week.i decided to go back to weekly b/c, I'd rather go to the clinic once a week and feel good, than go once every 3 weeks and feel crappy!
i would love the flexibility of tx once every 3 weeks, but I may have to wait it out a little longer.
Take good care,
Jessica