HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Chelee

Anyone use pepcid, Nexium, etc?

This isn't quite the most important question of the day. lol But I was curious since I am new to chemo if your oncologist gave most or you something for your stomach. Not just anti-nausea meds...but medication for that super bad heartburn and indigestion you get after chemo?

My first session of chemo I went an entire month in PAIN. I could hardly drink water without that burning in my throat...let alone eat anthing. I played heck eating food.

Well this second full session of chemo I changed oncologist and I asked her IF there was anything I could take for the heartburn and indigestion...that it was killing me. I told her I can't eat cottage cheese and apple sauce without pain. She looked up at me and said loudly, "You mean you have NOTHING for this....absolutely nothing?" I told her "No". I said the other oncologist gave me not a thing for it. She really sincerely seemed shocked. She said I had to have something for that...she could not believe I went that first row of chemo with nothing.

She imediately wrote me two prescriptions for Pepcid and Nexium. Since I have those meds...like is so much better after chemo. I can EAT again. Sure things don't taste as good still...but at least I can put some food in my body without pain in my stomach and major heartburn. These meds are great. I can eat just about anything now thanks to these meds.

Did all of you get medications for your stomach like these? And I am curious if these hamper or affect the way the chemo works in the body?
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
chrislmelb

Revolting.............as if you don't feel bad enough!

I too took perscription medicine for that horrible feeling. I was assured it was fine and i stopped it once i stopped chemo. The active ingredient is pantoprazole. It is taken as a preventative, not when it strikes. If you have been suffering so much i suggest you get on something similar.

Good luck
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
janet/FL

Chelee
I took Prilosec for the heart burn and it did work wonders. Sorry your first oncologist did not prescribe something for you. But that is where a support group such as this one can be of help. When anyone has a problem or question with their treatment, just ask. Someone from this group probably can help and is happy to do so.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
tricia keegan

RE Nexium

Hi Chelee
I had a bad coeting on my tongue.They checked with a camera up my nose and promptly prescribed nioxin.Not sure why. It did'nt work and I still have the coating 6 weeks after chemo.Hope yours gets better quicker than mine.They said it wqas something to do with the chemo killing all the good cells in my mouth but I did'nt have heartburn or any symptoms of stomach problems.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Liz J.

Smile Nexium, etc.

Hi Chelee,

I have been on Nexium forever. I have gurd . Don't know if I should be taking it every day but my PCP doesn't have a problem with it and Onc. knows about it. I was planning to stop it just before chemo as I figured I had enough stuff going in but my Onc. said it would be a bad time to stop. Anyhow, I was prescribed something called Emend. Had to take one pill about an hour before chemo and then one pill for the next two days. I got chemo every 3 weeks. I don't know if I was just lucky or that stuff really worked. Although I didn't have a good appetite (dropped 34 pounds in the 18 weeks), I fortunately did not have much of a problem eating when I felt like it. I got really turned off to the smell of some things like garlic, which I love and when any close by neighbor was barbecuing (sp?) which used to be one of my passions I would lose my stomach. I guess it was marinade or something they were using. My thoughts and prayers are with you and please ask your Onc. about Emend. Hugs, Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Bev

Hi, Had emend for nauseau for AC. While on taxol I'm sure they gave me IV heartburn meds. I can't remember the brand but can look it up if you wish. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Chelee,

I am lucky enough to have a husband who is a physician. Three weeks into my chemo regimen, when I was having terrible stomach acid pains (besides the nausea) he started me on Prilosec. I stayed on it througout my 6 months of treatment and it worked wonders. I would take it on chemo day and then for about 2 to 3 days later to control the acid. Then I would stop until the next treatment. Get some!

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
clisa

stay on it

Hi there - just a note to keep in mind I was experiencing minor heartburn myself with my chemo and my doctor gave me zantac which helped temporarily. The symptoms got worse as I continued on chemo and was given losec which worked also very well. When it stopped working a few weeks later it took a persistent emergency room doctor and cat scan to find out that one of my liver mets was wrapping around my gallbladder bile duct which was causing the pain - so just a heads up to be persistent with your doctor if you are having heart burn/ bad tummy as it can be more than a side effect but another problem.

Now I am treated for the pain and swelling in the liver and rarely have heartburn or other - but if I do losec always helps if it breaksthrough.

L
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Johanna Johannsdottir

Hi there,

I experienced heartburn with a Navelbine-chemo last year and got some medicine. Now I avoid all food (bread, buscuits, speices, suces etc.) that contains yeast. I bake my one bread with raising-powder and read all labels to avoid yeast. Currently on Taxotere and Herceptin and have no heartburn from it. My husband eats this bread also and is delighted because he had heartburn from yeast too. Avoid yeast and see whether it helps.

regards, Jóhanna
Johanna Johannsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
rachelhmmd

Re: Anyone use pepcid, Nexium, etc?

I gave myself OTC prilosec during my taxol. I thought it was the decadron that was giving me the heartburn. Anyhow, it was a gamechanger for me. It really helped. The heartburn was contributing to my feeling of dread and when that improved, I slept better and felt less anxious.
rachelhmmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
AlaskaAngel

When I was treated in 2002, the insurance company refused to cover Nexium, which was a new proton pump inhibitor. We had a fine new doctor here who had worked for Mayo Clinic previously, and I sent him a note saying that I "promised not to sell it on the street" if he would argue with them! And he got it approved for me for the duration of chemotherapy. It helped a lot.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
NEDenise

Oh yeah! Nexium is a game-changer! I can't even go a single day without it...the heartburn comes right back!
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Laurel

Denise,

During chemo I had esophagitis and suffered severe heartburn after chemo had ended. I was on Protonix, a proton pump inhibitor like Nexium. It worked well. In fact, my Onc told me I would probably be on it for the remainder of my life. A few months after ending chemo I saw a naturopathic who told me that the Protonix would inhibit the absorption of much needed nutrients in my diet and from supplements. She suggested a powdered form of probiotic that requires refrigeration. After taking the probiotic powder for 2 weeks I was able to stop taking the Protonix. Today I put a quarter tsp in a water bottle daily and usually take a bottle with the probiotic powder to bed with me. My heartburn is very rare and usually occurs when I take a supplement too close to bedtime. It seems I can never go long without the probiotic powder in my life, but I was able to forgo the parp inhibitor. I do think the weight gain contributes to the heartburn, but woman who have gained very little post chemo experience it as well and it is quite common.

It's worth a try! You can find a bottle at your local health food store. The better quality probiotic requires refrigeration to keep the bacteria alive.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Vicky

Chelee,

Yes, I was prescribed Ranitidine (Zantac) and take it almost daily. It works really well and I don't know what I would have done without it! I have taken it for 7 months now and he doesn't blink when I ask for a refill so I assume its safe to take daily like I do. I hope you get continued relief!!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
Lani

Laurel, I think you mean a proton pump inhibitor, not a parp inhibitor, The former is for gastritis and esophagitis...the latter works against some triple negative breast cancers in particular.

Just want to be sure some one reading your post doesn't ask their doctor for a parp inhibitor (wouldn't get it anyway as none is FDA approved yet)
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
norkdo

darn i wish my oncologist knew about nexium (prescribed yesterday by my new family doctor) a month ago when i complained abt the heartburn. i have suffered needlessly for a month.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
mollecat

I had heartburn something awful too. They put me on a PPI (proton-pump inhibitor). Worked wonderfully, no problems after that, although I still didn't eat anything spicy while on it, only salt and a little pepper. I eventually went off of it after the dose-dense chemo cycles were over.
mollecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
alicem

Chelee,

So good to hear from you. You might try searching for the post titled . . .
"CHELEE - how are you? Anyone know? "
We have missed hearing from you!!

Now to answer your question, I did use Nexium and it worked for me. As for the awful taste in my mouth, I found rinsing with a solution of salt and baking soda was very helpful. I mixed 1 tablespoon of both into 2 quarts of water and would swish it around like a mouthwash any time that bad taste came on. At the beginning, it was once or twice a day. Towards the end of my treatment, it was once an hour. It did make it so I could tolerate eating.

Hope this helps and again, so good to hear from you!
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
Laurel

Lani, you are right. Corrected! Alice, Chelee posted this initially back in '06. Someone resurrected the thread. I want to hear from her, too! I thought the same thing you did at first.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Cal-Gal

I was on a prescription either Priolosec or Nexium-forget the entire time I was on chemo-then afterward found out I had an ulcer-and was on Nexium for about a year-finally ulcer disappeared-
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote