HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Lani

didn't bc patients mobilize vs. Yoplait to get BST out of their yogurt? Dannon still

has BST in their yogurts. It is the #2 maker of yogurts according to their website. Who was it who organized the Yoplait campaign? Scoured Dannon website but did not find the following there. Had to pursue--

PS In no way am I saying there is proof BST causes breast cancer. Just that it might be better for MANY reasons not to have BST in dairy foods:

The Dannon Company has been working towards its goal of using only milk (and all dairy ingredients) from cows not treated with rBST (recombinant bovine somatotropin), a synthetic hormone that has been approved and declared safe for use by the FDA. We are well on our way to accomplishing this goal. In fact, today nearly 80% percent of the milk currently used in the Company's products already comes from cows that are not treated with rBST.

Dannon intends that during the third quarter of 2009 its two largest plants will no longer use milk (or any dairy ingredients) from cows treated with rBST. The Company's third plant will follow shortly thereafter.

Although no safety issue is involved, Dannon has been taking steps to use only milk from cows not treated with rBST in response to growing consumer preference for so-called 'rBST-free' dairy products. Dannon always listens carefully to the preferences expressed by consumers, and the evolution of the dairy market continues to move toward milk from cows not treated with rBST.

Based on consumer preference, Dannon is also encouraging its suppliers to switch to milk sources that are 'rBST-free,' to support the move by the entirety of the dairy market and not just yogurt.

Dannon's products will continue to meet FDA requirements for safety as well as continue to be great-tasting and a nutritious part of a healthy diet.

Perhaps a little "prodding" ie letters, posting on websites might make them realize it would be to their PR and financial advantage to speed this up?
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Bca

Breast Cancer Action says they did it. I don't know if there were others involved.

http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=090209-2

This was discussed or posted on some list or other recently and there was a most-heated reply from someone who said there's no evidence that BST is harmful. My first thought was "then why is it illegal in Europe", but I couldn't find much hard information on it, I do admit. Do you know more, Lani?

Debbie
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote