HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
kristen50

facing reconstruction

Hi,
I have just been dx with my second breast cancer in the same breast, otherwise known as padgets. I cannot receive radiation again and have been told that I will need a mastecomy.
I am new to the idea of mastecomy...prev had lumpectomy....I will be meeting next week to get the final options but I would like to know which kind of reconstruction has worked best after radiation (9 years ago) for some of you.
I will also go on the search (just figured out how to do that) to get info.
Most likely looking at surgery in two weeks so I need to get all my research and questions in order. When I meet with the plastics doc he may have a certain option for me ...who knows.
I can tell you that I don't have much body fat so I don't know if that limits me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
kristen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
chekmark

Re: facing reconstruction

I didn't have radiation so I have no advice there. I had implants, I had one put in on the other side for symmetry. They put in an expander to stretch the skin, then you go in every week for fills until you reach a good point for the implant to be put in, this takes several months. This was the only option I had considered due to healing time. My only advice is to make sure your are comfortable with your decision. There alot of people on this sight that have had all types of reconstruction so I am sure they will chime in. Good luck and so sorry about the 2nd cancer, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us posted.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
snolan

Re: facing reconstruction

I had radiation and due to an infection had to have my expander taken out on the radiated side. I elected to do the lattissimus dorsi flap. I had talked with a coulple of people who had the stomach one done and didn't like the weakness it left them with. I also have a physically demanding job and need my stomach strength to help with lifting, (I'm a physical therapist assistant). Overall I have been very happy with my reconstruction. I do recommend having therapy after, I had some shoulder capsular tightening and issues with scar tissue and the therapy helped alot. I am definitley weaker in my left arm but only notice it when I work out. I do crossfit and can't do pullups the normal way anymore. I don't mind the scar on my back, I feel scars are only tatoos with better stories. It is a little harder recovery then compaired with the mastectomy just due to the fact that you have two wound sites, had to have a drain in my back incision and one at the breast which didn't stop draining for 5 weeks, the drain fell out and the swelling stopped so that was good. Do focus on regaining your range of motion and strengthening your rotator cuff and mid back muscles very easy to overlook.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote