HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

anyone comfortable going without prostesis?

I know this is silly, but I would love the comfort of not wearing a bra ever again! I have never to my knowledge seen anyone doing this or talked about it. I read about a woman artist who had this photo done with a one shoulder dress and her scar revealed... she did eventually go to wearing a prostesis. I have a double mastectomy and other than looking stupid in clothing designed with breast "pocket" I think I might get away with this. Any experience out there - any observations or comments? Thanks!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
dogladybarks

Yes, me! I had a right radical mastectomy the end of last July. It doesn't bother me in the least, not to use a prosthesis. Sometimes I wear a sports bra, that's just undershirt material, but that's it.

I do know a few women who had double mastectomies and don't use a prosthesis either. They, like myself are more comfortable without them.

If you are more comfortable without them, go for it. Don't worry about anyone else looking, or someone you know saying something...I don't. There are clothes that can hide it fairly well, and if not...well, so what!

Sue
dogladybarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Lolly

I sometimes go without, it just depends on the situation...I've had double mastectomy/no reconstruction.
If I go without, I usually wear loose things, and most people don't even notice; if they do they usually have an "understanding eye", as in our area many women have gone through breast cancer treatment without disguising the fact. Benefit of living in a university town, I think. I always go without around the house and doing yard work, because of lymphedema; the bra/prothesis aggravates it if I'm constricted for more than a few hours at a time. Good luck!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
StephN

Thumbs up Does happen

Great question.
I have a friend who is in her 60's and had a mast then a second one due to more tumors a couple of years later. She is a winemaker in eastern Washington. When she travels to wine competitions or consumer gatherings, she is very nicely dressed - just has a FLAT chest and a little roundness in the midsection.

I also know of at least two other women from my survivors exercise group who rarely wear a prosthesis and the difference IS noticeable but they dont' care.

Guess we all have to do what feels right for ourselves and individual living situations. There are lots of people around who are not "normal" in any number of ways and they tolerate being stared at by people who did not listen to their mother's "dear, it is not polite to stare."
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Sandy H

I have had a double and have never gone out in public with out my prostesis or wig. Guess, I must be a vain person! I don't wear them at home unless I have company. I have cami's from TLC catalog that I wear because of my lymphedema instead of bras. I get the foam weighted inserts from TLC and they are more comfortable then the silcone ones-not heavy. I attended an IBC (inflammatory) support, most of them have had double mastectomies and no one was wearing anything and they stood/sat straight and proud. Even though its not me I have to applaued them for doing it. Most people do not know I have had a double or most of the time no hair!! I like to keep it that way. I have to share this with you. One time I had just enough hair to highlight and it was very short but cute. When I went to one of my group gatherings an 85 year old fellow looked at me and said, "I never thought you would cut your hair that short"! I simply said, "oh but I have changed". Another lady sitting beside me looked at me and smiled and afterwards asked me if he really didn't know and I told her, "guess not" and I wasn't going to embarrass him by saying anything. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

Kimberly, I do both. It just depends on my mood.

When I go to the gym to work out I usually wear a sports bra and my shirts are loose fitting anyways.

I love the idea that I can be any size want to. LOL

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
madubois63

I had a single mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. I opted not to get the other one done to match. I had already had breast reduction when I was 23 and did not want to chance loosing the feeling that I had. I am lopsided, but I really don't care. If anyone has noticed, no one has said anything. I do wear a bra sometimes, but mostly wear a camisole with a built in bra. It's great for the hot flashes because I usually layer my clothes. Do what makes you comfortable. That is what is most important. Most people are too worried about themselves to notice us....

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
MCS

Thumbs up

a fellow lady in support has a double mast. She wears a light padded bra but no prosthesis. She's very proud of wearing tank tops also!

Go with whatever makes you feel good.

MCS ( Maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Lisa

When I first was deciding on mastectomy or not, my accupuncturist told me that some of her patients with one breast go around without a prothesis. I was flabergasted and couldn't IMAGINE myself doing that.

Well, that was then and this is now. After 6 years of one breast, I often don't wear a bra and prothesis. I've always hated bras anyway. I am pretty careful though, to wear loose tops or tops that don't cling when I do this.

I'm one of the few who also go bald when the weather is good. I suppose I'm past the stage of caring much what folks think. I try to be friendly and loving with everyone so I'm more concerned with what they think of my personality than my body.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #10
Kimberly Lewis

Great answers all!

thanks all for the replies. Food for thought, I have really been going around about this. Yesterday I happened to be with two members of an artist guild and they both had single mastectectomies. They both said they would never wear their prostesis if they had a double! I just will have to adjust to it!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
dlaxague

Clothing that complements one-sided mastectomy

I go flat, too. I got the bra and prostheses and expected to wear them after bilaterals, while waiting to decide on reconstruction after treatment. That was 6 years ago and they never made it out of the bedroom. Just too uncomfortable, and instead of making me feel better, they made me feel costumed and MORE aware of what I'd lost. I gave them away eventually.

I'm not svelt enough to wear things like these and besides they are for unilaterals mostly, plus I'm told they're very very expensive. But what an amazing job they did of making lopsidedness look very pretty! The website is in Dutch but it's the photos that you want to see. http://www.lobstar.nl/ . Maybe some of you who are handy with a sewing machine will be inspired.

Debbie Laxague
3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote