HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
amyj

Tykerb coverage?

Hi all, I'm new here, so hope I'm doing this correctly.
We found out recently that my 67 year old (young!) mother's breast cancer recurred in her liver. She has started a regimen of herceptin, carboplatin and tamoxofin.
Her oncologist already checked to see if her insurance (Blue Cross) will cover Tykerb, but they said they won't.
Did you have the same issue? If not, do you know why? If you did, how did you end up getting it covered?
Also, do you know of a generic equivalent?

Thanks so much. Best wishes to you very helpful women.

-Amy, daughter to Helen.
amyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
chrisy

Hi Amy

I have input to your questions, but first let me say do not lose heart. Many women on this forum are doing well years after liver mets diagnosis. I don't know if this is your mom's first recurrence, it would help if you can provide more info.

The FDA approved indication for Tykerb is metastatic disease that is not responding to Herceptin. I can't tell from your post, but if this is your mom's first time on herceptin, that may be the basis for the denial - that it hasn't "failed". So the standard would be to try Herceptin first, then if it doesn't work, move on to Tykerb. Herceptin is a wonderful drug and could slap down those liver mets very effectively.

There's not much data re Tykerb+ Herceptin used together, so that is an unproven combination and I'm curious as to why that is being recommended. Or his he recommending Tykerb instead of Herceptin? If there's a reason, the insurance co's decision could be challenged.

That said, Herceptin and Carbo is a good combination (although usually I see it with a taxane either Taxol or Taxotere), and with Tamoxifen she's hitting lots of targets - that's good. You want to strike a balance between hitting the cancer hard and minimizing toxicity to your mom.

There is no generic version of Tykerb, but the scientific name is lapatanib.

Good luck, keep us posted.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
amyj

thank you!

First, your encouraging words are, well, encouraging. It's hard not to think the worst. So thank you very much. You knew just what to say!
This is her first recurrance. She just finished a year of herceptin-only as a "precaution" in December, so we're a bit worried about how soon something showed up.
That said, your comment makes a lot of sense.
I think her oncologist was just considering the next step if the Herceptin doesn't work. In other words, she started her due diligence early.

Thank you again.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Carolyns

Hi Amy,

Sorry that we must meet this way and all of my best wishes to you and your family.

As Chrisy says, there are many fighting liver mets for MANY years with a very good quality of life. I was diagnosed a while back myself.

I understand as Chrisy does that you must get Herceptin first and progress while on Herceptin to get Tykerb.

Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
hutchibk

Hi Amy- I believe that all Blue Cross plans have a cap on prescription benefits... mine was $1500 a year, so that is why it didn't pay for my Tykerb... but, once you spend up to that cap amount on all of the other meds that you might need, then you are considered 'uninsured' for the rest of that year, and you can qualify for the free access program from Glaxo Smith Kline through Tykerb Cares. This is how I have had access to Tykerb. Herceptin is paid for under medical benefits, Tykerb falls under prescription benefits.

Is there a patient advocate or social worker at the clinic who can help you weave your way (your mom's way) through the access program? I would be in an insane asylum if I hadn't had an advocate to guide me through! LOL

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
amyj

thanks again

Thanks so much. That's also incredibly helpful. I will look in to an advocate for my mother. I wish none of us had to be on this board, but am already so glad it's here.
My dad just told me they got a call from BS tonight saying they reversed their decision on covering the Tykerb when/if she needs it. Go figure.
But thank you all. I'm afraid I'll be on with more questions soon enough.

Here's to you all.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
amyj

taxotere/tamox

Ooops, Chrisy. I just realized it is Taxotere she's on, not tamoxofin. My brain is going back to her old regimen.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
janet/FL

Hi Amy
I found it a stress saver -- find someone at Blue Cross that seems to know what they are doing and ask them if they would be your contact person at this very trying time.
I had a woman who frequently went out of her way to find answers to my questions. She even hand carried papers from one desk to another to make sure they got to the right person. When I kept getting billed for $12,000 for Nulasta shots, she always reassured me it was just a matter of paper work and that it would be cleared. It was, and her reassurance was certainly helpful in reducing my stress level. Maybe the person who notified your Dad that Tykerb was approved would take on that role.
Hugs, to you and your family
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
amyj

BC advocate

That's a great tip, and glad to know there are folks there willing to do that. Thanks so much.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
betsye

Amy: I was just going to post that I have 85 Tykerb pills left over from a prescription that I am no longer taking. (It didn't work for me.) You are welcome to them, if your mom needs them. If you want them, please contact me off-list (betsy@brownhen.com). I will give you until Friday morning to claim them; if you don't, they are free to the first person who contacts me.

I know that Tykerb is really expensive, so please contact me only if your insurance doesn't cover it.

I don't know if this is legal, now that I write it down. All I can say is that the pills haven't been out of the bottle since I counted them last week.

Betsy
betsye is offline   Reply With Quote