HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Yorkiegirl

Bloating??

Ok I have noticed over the last month and half my tummy has bloated to what looks like I'm about 5 months pregnant.
I am way finiahed with my Chemo and Rad's, only taking Herceptin now until the end of August.

I'm not sure if this is the Herceptin or something else. My weight is not going up, just my tummy seems to be getting bigger.

Any one had this problem??

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
bjj

Tamoxifen

Are you on Tamoxifen?

I have had this problem - my oncs say that it is "middle-aged spread" due to tamoxifen.

Nobody warned me about this and I used to suffer from anorexia I have found it very very hard to come to terms with.

Love

bjj
bjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Yorkiegirl

Youi asked if I was taking Tamoxifen, No I'm not I'm ER?PR -,

Only thing I'm on is Herceptin, hmm middle age spread. LOL

Well, I guess I say I'm middle aged, I will turn 50 in July. LOL

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
JoyMiller

I Bloat Also

I also am on Herceptin only. I have gained about 15 pounds during my whole treatment period of the last year, but am able to maintain it at that and not gain any more. But the bloating- Oh, my gosh- it really bothers me. There is nothing I can eat that doesn't cause it. I attribute it to the steroid that I take to counter side effects even though that is mild and only once a week, but maybe that is wrong. At any rate, my year of Herceptin is up at the end of June, so I'll see what happens then. But in the meantime a bloated stomach is hard to deal with when I have had my breasts removed!
JoyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

Just to be on the safe side

I'm optimistic that the bloating is something benign, even if it isn't easy to lose the extra weight. I gained 25 pounds with treatment and am still working on getting rid of some of it.

But because bloating specifically can be one sign of ovarian cancer, and because ovarian cancer is very hard to detect early, be sure and talk with your PCP and onc about it. They may do a transabdominal or transvaginal ultrasound and/or a CA-125 for you as a precaution.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Barbara2

Gaining weight

I can't say I have any bloating problems, but I do look pregnant because of the fact that I have no boobs, and a big tummy that is hard to hide.

I will be finishing Herceptin (only) in mid June and have gained about 20+lbs since starting Herceptin. Some people have said that when they finished Herceptin, the weight fell off. That would be the day! I won't hold my breath, but it sure would be nice to shed some of this unwanted baggage. I'm thankful, though, for having had the opportunity to give Herceptin a try.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Becky

I have not gained any weight through this process but was/am working hard to lose (not successful) but I really watch what and how much I eat and I am an avid walker (at least one hr per day). So... I am hoping when I am done with Herceptin that some wgt will just fall off. I wonder if anyone can tell us since Michelle U and Maryanne are done with their year.

I also have a middle age spread/bloat/tummy - whatever you want to call it, although the rest of me is fine and my weight is in the normal range for my height (the highest part of that range but still in the range by 3lbs LOL).

I am also on Arimidex and the anti hormonals do play a role (especially if you are on Tamoxifen).

Regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
sadie

Red face Prevacid and sterioids the culprit?

I have had terrible bloating since the 2nd or 3rd Herceptin/Taxol treatment.
I don't know if it's these drugs or the Prevacid that is causing it. The worst of the bloating started after I began the Prevacid. It is the most uncomfortable feeling there is. Makes me feel sluggish and full, yet I still get hungry! I could have a simple bowl of cereal for breakfast, and "boom"; My stomach stretches out into the 2nd (or 3rd) trimester! LOL
I have gained 20 lbs since the start of ALL my treatments 6 months ago. I just finished #11 of 12 Herceptin/Taxol combo. I blamed it on the steroids at first. Plus I was kind of babying myself during the 1st few weeks of treatment. I definitely could have been classified as a couch potato most of that time.
I am also a victim of middle-age spread.
I guess with a combination of all of the above, extra pounds are expected.
At first, I was happy to be gaining weight vs losing weight; but now, enough is enough. Summer is nearing, and I have to start walking, biking etc to get those pounds off! I hope it works! I'm tired of the sluggish feeling that the bloating brings with it.
Has anyone taken prevacid or tagamet during the chemo and then was able to stop taking it after chemo? Or am I going to have to take this for the rest of my looooong life?
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
Sandy H

My stomach is bloated and some days I look 6 months pregnant but as previously mentioned I have no boobs so therefore my abdomen is larger then my chest! Also I have chest wall lymphedema and so the fluid goes to the abdomen area. This is another issue. You can tell if it is lymphedema take your fingers and tap the skin if it move like jello it is water if it is bloat from eating then it will be firm. Hope this helps, hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Sherryg683

My oncologist told me that Herceptin doesn't cause the weight gain. It's the taxotere and steroid that I was on. I sure hope it's not the herceptin because I'm going to be on that a long time..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote