HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
patty z

First, let me say that I am sorry and understand your terror....

You don't say how large or how many brain mets they found. That is pretty important in treatment options.

If over 3cm in size, they will not usually be able to avoid a craniotomy. That said, from the gals who have had that operation, it is not as scary as it sounds, not as painful as one would imagine.

Since you are having these symptoms, it could be from size OR location of your tumor/s. But because you are symptomatic, they will want to get that under control asap. You may be given a prescription of Decadron first to do just that.

If you do not have too many large tumors and are in good shape otherwise, I think you could qualify for the GammaKnife, Stereotactic Radiosurgery or CyberKnife. IF you can get your symptoms under control through use of the Decadron.

Both the GK and SRS procedures use a screwed on headframe. Both have been around a long time. Both have very good success rates and both are available in many places.

The CyberKnife is the newer procedure. It does not use the screwed on headframe but a very tight plastic mesh face mask. There are limited numbers of the machine available worldwide. I am including the link that is direct to the site locations. For more information on this procedure, you can use any of the other links on the page.

I'm here. And you can email me if you want...

bighugs,
pattyz