HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Chris

I am just a lurker, but I just finished my chemo today (4 a/c, 4 taxotere) and don't meet with my onc until 3/17 to discuss what's next (aside from rads, of course) as far as testing and monitoring. I am 34 with IDC (.9mm tumor) stage I, er/pr neg, her2neu pos, grade 3. My onc indicated that he does do testing during follow-up but we didn't get into specifics.

I am scared due to the agressive nature of my tumor. I have 2 small children and want to make sure I am here to watch them grow. What kinds of tests can I expect? I also wonder if testing will make me feel better or just more on edge. I don't want to bury my head in the sand, but I'd like to put this behind me and get some sort of normal life back.

Thanks for any help.
Chris
Old 03-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
Carlye

Hi Chris,
I think every onco is different in how they follow up after treatment. From everything I read the survival is no diff when mets are found if the person had routine followup with scans or not. My onco is very aggressive with the scans and I have a bone and cat scan every 3-4 months and and a pet scan every 6 months! I think it kinda all depends on your insurance and what it will cover as well. I feel very fortunate that all my scans are covered 100 percent. Hope this helps.If you have any more questions don't hesitate to email me!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Anonymous

Hi Chris,
You will probably get some very wise advice from some of the sisters (and brothers, too!) here who are far more educated about the many facets of this disease than I am. But, I will get the ball rolling by saying that it might be a good idea to discuss participation with your onc in a trial using Herceptin as an up front prophylactic. Herceptin is currently an FDA approved drug for use after b/c recurrence, but there is interest in its effectiveness in preventing a recurrence. (Others might have more info relating to obtaining it "off protocol".) Trials are anchored in particular areas in the US but other cancer centers often join the study, making it locally available to many women. You might click on the Clinical Trials Board on this site(just below Main Board) to see what info is available here. In the meantime, you have every reason to believe that you'll have a complete recovery so think positively!! You have caught the b/c early and that's wonderful! There is no escaping that it's impossible to go back to the carefree existence we all had before diagnosis, but hopefully you will be able to find a place to stash that stress and enjoy raising your children. Every day becomes so valuable! This site has provided wonderful support and information to many sisters facing the challenge of b/c, and I hope that it can do the same for you!
Best wishes to you in the future!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Anonymous

Chris
Please be agressive in seeking the Herceptin...your diagnosis is identical to mine only my tumor was 0.7...neg nodes, if I had received herceptin on original diagnosis, I dont think I would have had a reoccurance 1 1/2 years later. I'm on it now.and doing well so far..just wish I could have gotten it the first time!
THINK POSITIVE!!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
Steph N

Normal followup is generally every three months after finishing your radiation. This will consist of probably a chest x-ray, a baseline bone density test, and continued check of the tumor markers. Depending on tumor markers, your med onc may order a PET scan.
My cycle was a little different as I had my follow up with med onc a little over 1 month after finishing radiation. This was to check my tumor marker that had been running a little high, but it came back to well into normal range at that point. Then the 3-month cycle began.
You will probably see your surgeon again a couple more times to follow your scar/s and your rad onc as well a couple more times or until all symptoms from radiation are under control.
I also had another mammogram six months after my surgery (no reconstruction as just got away with lumpectomy and lower axcilla excision) as a "new" baseline.
Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect down the road to GOOD HEALTH! Just get used to the fact that you will be making a lot more trips to the docs than prior to diagnosis.
I looked at these visits to confirm my good health - was never scared, even when I got my news of mets. Once my doctors told me that it WAS POSSIBLE to have a complete response, I went with that as my new mantra. It worked - I am NED.
You are the caretaker of your family, but you will also need some caretaking - make sure others know this and accept their help.
Smile and be brave!
And come back to this board with any questions or concerns - we are here for you.