HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
Tracie Mc Donough

One of our relative's has recently had breast cancer she had her breast removed and had her treatment, she lost her hair due to the treatment.She went back to the hospital last week only to be told that the cancer has come back but moved to her back. The doctor has told her their is nothing really more he can do for her, surely that is not the case their must be something. This is all new to me it seems like we have hit a brick wall surely someone some where can suggest something. PLEASE HELP
Old 03-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
Sue C

It really gets me real upset (beyond upset to the point where i want to really call them personally and swear) to hear any doctor saying there is nothing they can do. You need to tell your relative to seek another doctor. There are many things that doctors can do for bone mets. I will pray for her.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:29 AM   #3
Phil S-R

TIME to get another onc!!! THere is always options and bone mets while still terminal and uncureable doens;t mean the end is near!!! She must find someone who has a more positive look on life and things of options instead of defeat !!!!
Phil S-R
Old 03-08-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
Lisa Lowe

Tracy,
So glad you found us. This site if full of resources. First of all, having breast cancer return to your back doesn't sound right. Has it metastasized to her bones, or lungs...? Next, I agree with the others. You must convince her to get a second opinion from another onc in another location. Please let us know where she lives, and we might be able to help refer.

Do not give up hope. This sounds like the start of a fight, not the end of one.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
Lyn

Hi there, well your doc answered his own question, get rid of him, he is a defeatist. If there were nothing more to be done you wouldn't have all these people to talk to on this site, who have been to hell and back. You definately have to have an onc with an open mind who will work with you not. Apparently I heard last week that my onc thought I should have been dead years ago, he gave me the Herceptin after I read about it on the net, he told me all of the negative thinks about the drug, but at that stage it had to be better than giving up, and now he still asks me what I want to do. My uncle lives 2000ks away and my onc sees him once a month at his clinic there, and he had mets to the spin, so bad he couldn't walk, he had a wheel chair and morphine, well he sent him for 10 doses of radiation at the nearest radium treatment centre and he tells me he is getting around like a race horse, his mets was brought on by a rare untreatable white melenoma, and that went with an experimental drug, not only would I get rid of your onc I would make sure that he is investigated, there are so many patients who think their Onc is GOD and hang on to their every word as they are so frightened and uninformed about this disease. At the end of the day the onc gets to go home and live his normal life, we go home to live our existence to fight all the tomorrows.

Love & Hugs Lyn