HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
Lani

what exactly does Ca15-3 measure and should it show response to chemo?

1: BMC Cancer. 2006 Sep 5;6(1):220 [Epub ahead of print] Links
CA 15-3 is predictive of response and disease recurrence following treatment in locally advanced breast cancer.

Al-Azawi D,
Kelly G,
Myers E,
McDermott EW,
Hill AD.
ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Primary chemotherapy (PC) is used for down-staging locally advanced breast cancer (LABC). CA 15-3 measures the protein product of the MUC1 gene and is the most widely used serum marker in breast cancer. METHODS: We retrospectively investigated the role of CA 15-3 in conjunction with other clinico-pathological variables as a predictor of response and time to disease recurrence following treatment in LABC. Pre and post primary chemotherapy serum concentrations of CA 15-3 together with other variables were reviewed and related to four outcomes following primary chemotherapy (clinical response, pathological response, time to recurrence and time to progression). Persistently elevated CA 15-3 after PC was considered as consecutively high levels above the cut off point during and after PC. RESULTS: 73 patients were included in this study. Patients received PC (AC or AC-T regimen) for locally advanced breast cancer. 54 patients underwent surgery. The median follow up was 790 days. Patients with high concentrations of CA 15-3 before PC treatment had a poor clinical (p=0.013) and pathological (p=0.044) response. Together with Her-2/neu expression (p= 0.009) and tumour lympho-vascular space invasion (LVI) (p= 0.001), a persistently elevated CA 15-3 post PC (p=0.007) was an independent predictive factor of recurrence following treatment in LABC. CONCLUSIONS: Elevated CA 15-3 level is predictive of a poor response to chemotherapy. In addition, persistently elevated CA 15-3 levels post chemotherapy in conjunction with lympho-vascular invasion and HER2 status predict a reduced disease free survival following treatment in locally advanced breast cancer.
PMID: 16953875 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Carina

Lani,

Thanks for the information. Do you know how CA15-3 levels are measured? Has anyone had this done?

Though I believe that each person's situation is unique and we are more than an accumulation of stats, I would like to know.

Carina
Chemo: AC + T completed 8Sept06, and Herceptin started started 7Jul06 (Herceptin temp. stopped due to allergy)
Hormonal Treatment: 9Oct06 (Arimadex)
Radiation: To start 10Oct06 (5 weeks)
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Lani

Ca 15-3 is one of the "breast cancer serum markers" tested when they draw blood

Some oncologists don't want to measure it in those patients who are not metastatic , as it makes patients nervous and "we aren't going to do anything differently anyway" This study in patients with locally advanced breast cancer shows it can differentiate those in which a particular course of chemotherapy is not working, in order to try another and a subset of patients in whom recurrence is very likely, perhaps in order to place them into a clinical trial for something new.

As I understand it the vast majority of breast cancer cells express MUC-1 (they are looking into it as a new target of treatment)

So it is nice to know that that is the basis of the serum test and that it seems to be accurate in following breast cancer response to treatment and predictiing prognosis.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Carina

Thanks for the clear answer. I will discuss it with my doctor. I like to know what I am facing.

Carina
Chemo: AC + T completed 8Sept06, and Herceptin started started 7Jul06 (Herceptin temp. stopped due to allergy)
Hormonal Treatment: 9Oct06 (Arimadex)
Radiation: To start 10Oct06 (5 weeks)
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
tousled1

My oncologist will do the test anytime I ask for it but she does not believe you should rely on them. Remember there are a lot of things that can affect the results - low counts, being on an antibiotic, etc. When used in conjunction with other tests it can be useful.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote