HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
LisaJ

Fighting colds, Sore Throats, etc.

Since being on chemo I have had a hard time recovering from colds, flu, etc. I have had a sore throat for the last three days. Nothing seems to help. Is this a normal thing? Thanks!

Lisa
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Becky

Dear Lisa

While you are on chemo, it is more difficult to recover from even the most minor cold. When I was on chemo, my kids brought home a cold that was a breeze to get through - hardly anything - even for me on chemo. But then, I got a sinus infection from it that lasted 8 weeks (Augentin, cipro etc) and a cough. Just take it easy. Check your temperature a couple of times a day (to make sure you are not getting a fever). If you feel worse or have pain, call your onco immediately. It is easier to nip things in the bud at the start before it gets full blown. Your white blood cell count is probably low. I remember that you said you just finished your A/C and were going to start Herceptin/taxol. A/C is very, very hard on your white count. Taxol is not as hard but does affect your counts. This is why it takes so long to get well if you are ill.

All this is normal (unfortunately) but the chemo part will be over SOON for you and you will only continue with the Herceptin which is an easy drug to take (and has relatively little effect on your white counts).

Hang in there. Make some chicken soup and drink lots of fluids.

Warmest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Alice

I would add to this but I think Becky said it all.The only other thing I would emphasise the importance of staying away from crowds. The less exposure to people who have germs ( and we all have them) the better at least while on chemo.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
jhandley

Hi Lisa

I too have this problem..on chemo. however find L-glutamine powder helpful and also Q10 and reishi extract (ups WBC) as well. Before I had BC I used to catch a lot of colds and found that 50 mg/day Q10 was helpful; this was before I knew about its cardio and anti cancer effects. I now take 100-200 mg a day stopping gradually 3 days before chemo. (which I have now finished). The reishi extract I take is called AstraFotre Immune Support and contains Astragalus as well as reishi extract and is a syrup formulated for colds and flu. I started this mostly to stop the fatigue during chemo (by upping WBC).

Cheers
jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
julierene

I've starting having a sore throat, and some flim in my throat, and it's hard enough thinking I might have lung mets... I want to get rid of this yesterday!

Chemo kicked my tush too. I had 3 weekly Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin treatments with the 4th week being skipped. Then I went and got treatment #4, and for #5 they said my counts were too low and only gave me Herceptin... So in 6 weeks, I've only had 4 treatments. It's making me worry. The spot on my spine starting hurting more after my last Herceptin Only treatment. I'm worried that the Herceptin isn't working for me.
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
al from Canada

no reason to discontinue chemo

Hello to all,
Cancer patients have access to a wonderful called neupogen or nuelasta. This will get your counts up and for god's sake...tell your onc there is no reason to miss chemo when you can take neupogen! ( http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/Treatm...cGrowthFactors)
Taxol is notorious for kicking the crap out of you blood counts and I always thought the industry standard was to add immune support therapy. I guess this must be up to the patient to suggest. Another compound Becky has recommended is called Leukine. This may have additional immune stimulating qualities.

Good Luck,
Al