HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Colleen007

Re: Aunt just diagnosed, now what?

I also think there is something genetic in my family...just can't figure out what it is. My maternal grandmother had breast cancer, I have breast cancer and my maternal aunt (daughter of my maternal grandmother) had it. We don't know if my grandmother was ER/PR or Her2+, but my Aunt is triple negative. I tested negative for BRCA1 & BRCA2, as did my mother...but my aunt (my mother's sister) just tested positive for BRCA1.

If your aunt was just diagnosed with breast cancer, it might make sense for you to get the BRCA testing done...as you can see from my family's history, just because one family member tests positive for the gene, it doesn't mean that all of you carry the mutation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Colleen
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote