HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Chelee

If I have port removed...

where will they draw my blood for labs? I've been done with herceptin since 3-07 and my mammo and ultrasound showed two masses in axilla area consistent with lymph nodes, which my surgeon said was *probably* due to my port. (Irritation) He suggested I get my port removed and those masses will go away.

I also went for a 2nd opinion on something else and that onc said to have my port removed. My port is in my upper arm. Not long ago I have two surgeries and they could find NO veins to access. So I had them call Mark in Port-a-Cath to come access my port or I might not of gotten the sugeries? All the nurses stuck and poked me and not one of them could find a vein.

So IF I get my port removed in hopes it will relieve the pain in my axilla...how will anyone get blood from me? I am really tired of the pain in that axilla. Plus I want to know if its REALLY the port that caused the masses in my axilla? (One lasts thing...is removal of a port easier then when they put it in?) I would think so?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
tousled1

Chelee,

I had my port removed 3 weeks after my last Herceptin treatment. It was done in my surgeon's office and all she did was give me a shot or two of novacaine and then removed the port. I felt nothing. As for blood draws with no port they would have to use your veins. Even if your veins are bad remember you won't be having blood draws as often nad if they have a problem the nurse can always use a pediatric needle.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Chelee And Her Port

Hi Chelee,

Honey, have they been FLUSHING your port monthly? When I kept my port (from '95 for a yr after finishing chemo) I had to go in once a mnth for a flush. Very important. I'm hoping you've been told to do that.

Taking the port out can be done in surgeon's office. I looked the other way and asked if *I* could wait in the waiting room, but it was no biggie.

I too have horrible veins. They poke and prod and dig! and dig! saying "I'm in, but..." The veins collapse, roll over, *blow out*. I have little wounds up and down my one good arm. The rule in some places is -- two sticks and you get some one NEW. I like this rule.

I have learned that though my veins look juicy and good, in the middle of my arm -- they always fail to comply. I inform nurses of this. I explain that they must go in at an angle, and that those who've had success (and been therefore interrogated by me thoroughly) report that my veins *appear* deeper than they actually are, so DON'T JAB. My veins are *skinny* (by luck that's what part of me is skinny!) and delicate.

The nurses always want to go in to my hand (top). This is extrememly painful and unsuccessful, for me. I point to one vein in my wrist that is THE ONE. They all wince and say OOOhhh that's gotta hurt. Not as much as going in on my hand, I inform them.

I love my port! And there are some interesting posts on this board re that issue. I have been getting scans (ev 8 wks, then ev 3 mnths, then ev 4 mnths, NOW ev 6 mnths) and the Pavillion I love to get my scans at, small, friendly, highly trained, professional, accomodating has been accessing my port (by a nurse) for contrast for yrs I JUST FOUND OUT AT THE CHEMO ROOM AT MY CANCER CENTER THAT YOU SHOULD *NEVER* USE YOUR PORT FOR CONTRAST. It's too thick and could clog the port. They do use saline before and two salines after, plus heplock. I check that they are doing all this every single time (since forever). See my signature below for the nasty details of my professional patient career. They always wear gloves (from a package), use a mask, betadine carefully to clean the area.

My Cancer Center is associated w/the Pavillion both of which are now run by the Boca Community Hospital. They have very strict guidelines. Yet the Pavillion is not aware that at the Cancer Center the policy is NEVER to access a port for contrast! I will call tmrrw to speak to the head of Radiology. That is insane. No one should ever have such a problem.

My onc on Long Island does finger sticks for CBC bld tests. I always thought it rather "primitive". Now I am revising my opinion. The less you access your port the happier, cleaner and safer it will be for future use. It must be flushed monthly if unused!

I used to insist that I have a port so why not use it. Now I'm rethinking the situation. They always cover the port with a bandaid after chemo, which I keep on till I shower.

Also, the numbing spray I used to get I have been told by two chemo nurses -- that any onc -- that they are uncomfortable using it as it is a potential introduction of bacteria into the port. So interesting. They had attended a briefing by the company that makes the spray. So -- FOR THE LAST YEAR, NO SPRAY FOR ME. I tough it out. Not really painful, especially if you have a good nurse. Then, you feel nothing. And if you feel any thing it is over in a sec.

BTW, yes, I have gotten braver about speaking up since bc. One (male) nurse, nothing against men intended, was rough. My chemo mate, Myrna, commented she doesn't like him to access her. ME NEITHER!, I said. We decided to bite the bullet, if he approached us, we said, NO, THANK YOU. I'LL WAIT. He nodded and looked fine with our choice. In a few months he moved on...

Sending loving energy to all my sweet Soul Sisters, as always...ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Peggy

removing port

I had my port removed in the Doctor's office...it was not a big deal. It was also in my upper arm...actually I've had two, the other was in my chest. Neither was a problem to remove. They numbed the area, waited a few minutes and took it out. The nurse actually did the procedure.

About veins...I've had them use my wrist, my hand, and my foot...none of which are great options...I have no idea where they go after the foot...

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
janet11

It's always amazing to me how much USEFUL info I find out here. I just realized it's been 8 weeks since my port was accessed (am on 'hiatus' from Herceptin due to low LVEF). So I just phoned my onc nurse to ask 'shouldn't I have my port flushed?'.

If I had PLANNED to go off for an extended period, I'm sure they would have said something. But I've just been getting 3 week delays time after time (well, since May 1), so they probably never thought of telling me. Anyway, am asking. Thanks for bringing that up, Andi.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink We've Just Got To Be Proactive

Janet,

It makes my heart smile knowing we have each other's backs! It is stupefying to me how much trouble one can get in to just DOING AS TOLD, OR NOT...

Once a friend, Myrna, was taken off Taxol for a while, as she was having such a tough time. I said to her, But you still get the Herceptin, right? Uh. No. He didn't say anything. Well, my onc says NO MATTER WHAT YOU STILL GET YOUR HERCEPTIN. Maybe you should check w/your onc. Myrna thought about it over the weekend and called first thing Mon. AM and asked. Oh, no! That's a mistake. Yes, you should definitely come in for your Herceptin.

Another friend, Dorothy, told me she as on estrogen. I said, With progesterone, right? No. Do you still have your uterus? Yes. Well, it's my understanding that if you have your uterus and go on estrogen you must also take progesterone, for safety's sake. I have full confidence in my doc. I'm sure she's right. A week later Dorothy called me to say she thought about what I said and, after having taken estrogen for 6 mnths, she called her wonderful doc she trusted so to check. Sure enough -- oh, no. That's a mistake. You should definitely be taking progesterone too. I will call it in. Dorothy called to thank me.

I KNOW I am not a medical professional, but I listen to the experts on MSNBC, the Today Show, PBS, Larry King. I read. I do the best I can. I can only hope when a doc messes up I catch it -- or one of YOU WONDERFUL, WELL-INFORMED WARRIOR WOMEN will tell me!

I JUST LOVE THIS SITE! And all of you, my sweet Sister Souls... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Becky

Chelee

I have never had a port even with over 2 years of IV treatments but they will find a vein if they need one - I assure you. Get rid of that port and get your body back. The cancer gods have taken enough as it is my dear girl.

Hugs and kisses to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Little Friend

Hi Chelee! I have a little friend who is 3 1/2 who has been on chemo for the past 3 years - never knew life without it. She does finish up soon with the major stuff. But anyway, I think she is so brave and I just love her to pieces. Her sister, 5, asked me a couple of times ago when they came to visit their grandma, "where's your button"! Then she told me that Arden didn't cry anymore when they poked her button! What an inspiration those little ones were. Well, my last "poking" was so much easier for me because I know how very brave Arden is! I know none of this matters to your situation, but my port sticks out a "country mile" but I'm attached to it and it makes my every three weeks trip for Herceptin so very much easier. I don't know what's right for you, but I surely do understand how you must feel. Feelings impact our thinking so much. I drove the 3 hours to San Antonio yesterday and back today to take a couple of my grandkids to Sea World, just to have the experience there be a good one (plug in new feelings) of going to San Antonio. It really helped! Good luck on your decision and know you'll do just the right thing for you, whatever that is! I haven't a clue most of the time what I should do, but I just ask, study and wait for the "right" answer to come to me. Best wishes, mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Feelings Impact Our Thoughts & Vice Versa

I believe it our thoughts that evoke our emotions. I feel like a victim, an invalid, vulnerable, sad, frightened, concerned, unsure -- when I am thinking thoughts that are full of poor me's. I feel like a Survivor, a proud Warrior, an activist, on the road to being triumphant -- when the dialogue in my head goes something like, ISN'T LIFE GRAND, LOOK AT THOSE TREES, THOSE AMAZING SEA CREATURES, HOW DARLING MY GRANDKIDS ARE. A sense of joy and harmony then come into play. Feelings of love transform our day. Make us smile. And laugh more easily. See the humor and the delight of being of alive. Chemicals are induced to surge throughout our bodies as a result of our thoughts and mental images. And we truly feel better. We are mixing the ingredients of wellness and good health. Our immune system becomes improved and strengthened by such positive emotions, which are totally tied to our thinking process. It is all connected -- mind and body. And Soul, which is the most precious part of who you are. Sending much loving energy to all my sweet Soul Sisters, as always... ANDI

Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Gerri

Chelee,

I just got back from getting my port out. It was no big deal. I had it done under a local (thanks Kate for the encouragement) and quite honestly I didn't feel a thing - except the initial shot, and that didn't sting as much as accessing my port. It was over very quickly; my stiches are underneath and will disolve. The worst thing about the entire procedure is that I can't shower until Saturday.

I'm looking at this as one more step toward "normalcy" - whatever that may be.

Good luck!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote