HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Joanne S

Exclamation BC Mets to Uterus - Roller Coaster Ride

Hello all, I have not been on this site for weeks. A lot has been going on lately and I've been soo very overwhelmed.

It’s been very difficult adventure – Trying to figure out which path to take since my gyn/onc and my breast/onc are not in agreement with my prognosis or treatment. As most of you know, after spotting and having a D&C, I was diagnosed with BC mets to uterus last August-which is quite uncommon. In September, I had a pelvic by the gyn/onc but was told I was not a candidate for hysterectomy as the cancer is beyond the uterus and too close to the bladder. Radiation was recommened by the gyn/onc but I am very hesitant to go that route of treatment. In September, my bc/onc put me on Affinitor and Aromasin (hormonal therapy) and I immediately stopped taking Arimidex (after 4+ years).

Although my Janurary/February PET and MRI scans showed slight improvement, the gyn/onc pelvic in the first week of March actually revealed progression at the base of my uterus and now tumor is touching the bladder. That was shocking news. Needless to say, I’m still not a candidate for hysterectomy. Gyn/onc is unable to remove my uterus without damaging the bladder and possibly the rectum – so definitely no surgery. The gyn/onc again urged immediate radiation. At my insistence not to sugar coat his opinion, he feels that my prognosis is very poor – probably less than a year – but bases his opinion on his experience with gyn cancers, which is not exactly (ILC) breast cancer to uterus.

My bc/onc on the other hand does not feel my life expectancy is that short, and she says there are many available chemo options we can try. I am still hesitant to do the radiation as the gyn/onc says the radiation is very damaging to the pelvic walls, bladder and rectum and it is very painful. Additionally there is also a good possibility I may still lose my bladder and/or rectum. If that’s the case, why not skip the radiation and just do surgery to remove the bladder? Don’t really want to go that route, but will do whatever is necessary to save/extend my life.

I did have side effects, but did quite well after the first three chemos. Last week, my week off of chemo, I became quite ill. Neuropathy set in big time in my hands and feet. I’ve been extremely weak and fatigued. Just getting up to go to the bathroom has been a major effort. Easter Sunday my hair decided to come out in clumps. Finally, I started feeling a little better last Saturday, but my bladder felt a lil different. I had urgency to urinate often, but didn’t release very much urine. No pain, no bladder spasms, no blood in urine, and no other symptoms. Suddenly late Saturday evening, I began running a fever 101.9. I went to ER and was admitted to the hospital.

As I suspected it was a bladder infection so I’ve been on IV antibiotics for the past four days. Yesterday the gyn/onc came to the hospital and gave me a pelvic. There is very Slight improvement so he is suggesting I have more chemo: 3 treatments ( 1 x per week) of Carboplatin and Taxol, then a one week break and then a pelvic exam to see if there are any changes. I honestly don’t think he feels hopeful. Since my MRI and PET scans did not pick up the progression at the base of my uterus, it must be evaluated via pelvic exam. At this point, if there isn’t enough improvement, I will have to go the radiation route or another route. I just have to wait and see.

The last four nights, I am still running very low fevers. They only last a couple of hours. The doctors cannot determine if these low-grade fevers are related to the bladder infection, cancer, or another infection in my body, but don’t seem to be concerned at this time. Blood cultures have not grown anything so far. I do however, wonder what is causing these fevers. So they want me to delay starting chemo for another week---gee I hate doing that.

I was released from the hospital today and will start antibiotics in pill form tomorrow. Mentally I feel like I’m on a never-ending, run-away, out-of-control, crazy roller coaster ride, and just don’t know what might happen next. I’m afraid because don’t know if I’m going to survive this ride or not. What a horrible feeling.

I sent out copies of all of my records for a second opinion today - hopefully I will hear something very soon. I’m trying hard to take it one day at a time and remain strong and positive for my 2 daughters. ages 22 and 27. I’ve been very open and honest with them on every level except I have not mentioned anything about my uncertain prognosis. I feel there is no need to have them worry about that until I know. Since both of my oncs don’t agree with each other---- makes it more difficult and crazier for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice, anything!
Thank you! Joanne
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: BC Mets to Uterus - Roller Coaster Ride

Wow, that is alot to deal with.

I remember I had been scared to death at that time as I had a pelvic ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy right after your news. I felt like I dodged a bullet when I got the all clear.

I just don't understand why they didn't remove the uterus. Crazy. Well, people have bladder cancer and they remove the entire bladder. Your cancer hasn't gotten to the bladder.

I don't like that your two medical advisors are so far apart. Eager to hear the news of your second opinion.

I'm so sorry about all the awful side effects. I hope that you find a solution that works better for you.

Sending love and healing!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
BonnieR

You are certainly entitled to feeling powerless right now! Hopefully that will resolve with a tie- breaking third opinion. The sooner the better. It always feels good to have a plan in place. You are in a place of such indecision. Can you try hard to quiet your mind and open it for insights or "signs"? It may sound trippy but I find that clearing the channels sometimes provides clarity You will hear something random that gives you a new perspective. I'm not real religious but I like the term "be still and know that I am God". Can you be still and see what He has to say? It will come through others Once a comment by a social worker was like an epiphany for me. She said "if it was a loved one, what would you want THEM to do?"
I hope you find answers and peace of mind. Soon. Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
IrvineFriend

Hi Joanne,

I would have a hard time listening to another opinion after just getting a shocking and harsh progronisis. I'm sorry you had to get that kind of news. I've learned from the women here that one doctor's opinion is not always accurate and can be downright wrong!

Your other onc has a different opinion - whew! - so you're doing the right thing getting a 3rd. As Bonnie suggested, there are some great guided meditations on youtube to quiet the mind and be open to answers, and to be in the now.

You have the week to regain your health and get some answers. I'm sending prayers your way!

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
NEDenise

Oh Joanne!
What terrible, confusing, and terrifing news to have dumped on you all at once. Add the UTI...and I am in awe of the strength and courage it took just to post this thread. You are one STRONG lady, my friend!

First...I have absolutely no doubt, that once you have all the right info...all your treatment options and expert opinions in order...you will fight this latest battle as valiantly as anyone ever could.

Next...as a mom myself...I can't tell you how much I admire your decision to spare your girls the prognosis "indecision" until, and unless, it becomes more clear. No need for them to focus on negatives, when there is so much positive energy to draw on.

Now...I'm wondering...since you live near a big city, I presume there must be a major cancer center or two nearby. Is there a chance that you might be able to schedule appointments at centers where ALL the oncs on a case...rads, gyn, b/c...meet as a group to discuss the patients they have in common? It seems to me (no medical expert, of course) that your current situation is complicated enough that having everyone in the same room, and making sure they're all on the same page is important.

I know, I feel better knowing that my docs all meet regularly to discuss my b/c and brain met treatments together.

Also...again, no expert here...but my mother-in-law is a colon cancer survivor...had to have part of her colon removed, a complete hysterectomy, and there was some damage to her bladder from the radiation. And yes, I remember her saying at the time that the radiation was QUITE painful. She still suffers from both bowel and bladder frequency and urgency...but...she's alive and in remission 6 years later. Everyone is different...but information is power...so I thought I'd share her experience.

And finally...please know that I'm sending all the strength, healing energy, and BOLD prayer I can muster to you! Try to relax and heal...
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Joan M

Joanne,

I've been thinking about you this last week, and glad that you're now home from the hospital.

Pressing the gyn/onc about potential problems from radiation gave you more information to decide what to do. Docs give probabilities of serious SEs, but I often feel that the problems end up occurring more frequently. And in this case they would be very serious.

I hope that the chemo continues to shrink the tumors, and if you progress another chemo will work for you. If the tumors shrink enough, your uterus can be removed. Perhaps a second opinion will cast more light on the different opinions of your doctors.

Love,
Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
tricia keegan

Joanne I don't have any advice but wanted to send you good wishes in making your very hard decision on treating this.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
jellybean

I would think that the breast cancer onc would be more knowledgeable, since it is breast cancer. Regarding radiation, why not get an opinion from a radiation oncologist, since that would be the doctor who would perform the radiation? I hope things are going better for you.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Ceesun

Joanne, I wish you the best and hope that a treatment plan can be refined for you. Have you checked into Karmanos or the University of Michigan? It seems they deal with complicated cases....where are you being treated? I receive my treatments thru Oakwood Hospital. Fondly, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Mary Jo

Hi Joanne....I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this and deal with such a heavy load. Prayers for wisdom to know what to do next and prayers for you to feel better. Love and hugs.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
CoolBreeze

Hi Joanne,

I've been living with mets a couple of years now. I've learned a couple things. One is never to interpret your doctors/techs/nurses emotional states when it comes to you. They might very well be thinking of missing their lunch as they examine you and thinking "my God, I'm starving, am I ever going to get to eat?" and you are (naturally) interpreting that as "he's feeling it's hopeless." They should be thinking of only you but they aren't always. They are human too. So I never go by what I think somebody's emotion is, I only go by their words.

But you have had some words, huh?

The doctor who gave you a "less than a year" statement - I don't know what to say about that except that doctor doesn't know how much time you have. My oncologist will not guess what my time on earth is and how can he? He has been an oncologist for 17 years, he's seen people live longer than expected, shorter than expected, seen people survive who shouldn't, people die who shouldn't.....how can he know what will happen to me? They can tell you statistics but as we all know, we are not statistics. They don't know what category you belong to so guessing this early is just wrong for any doctor to do, if you ask me.

Now, saying that you have a life-ending illness is honesty, saying WHEN it will happen is dishonest. Unless you are within weeks or showing signs of end-stages, they have no reason to say that. And, you clearly aren't.

I have had mets in my liver, abutting the portal vein, had resection surgery, ablation, had it grow back, on chemo #7 - and nobody will make guesses with me. I've been living with it for 2+ years now (cancer for four) and I'm sure I have time left. Statistically, I have one year left, but statistics are for mathematicians, not people.

There are many chemos they can try that will shrink that cancer down and then do the surgery safely. Am I reading your post right - you have only had three chemo doses? You are at the very start of this and so have a long way to go. It is natural to start thinking about your mortality and adjusting for that but your oncologist who said there are many other treatments and chemos to go are right. That's the one I would pick.

I am on my 7th now. Remember, your cancer may be in your uterus (mine is in the liver) but it's still breast cancer and should be treated like breast cancer.

I can't tell you what decisions to make, only the way my mind works since you asked.... I think since radiation is irreversible and holds a chance of difficult damage, that will impact the rest of your life, so personally, I might stick with chemo, see if you can shrink it and then see if they'll do a hysterectomy. The fact that you can do surgery is a gift a lot don't get. I'd try to stay away from bladder/rectum surgery if possible as that would impact just about everything you do.

If you look at your signature, you got fevers in '07. So maybe it's just something your body does when stressed.

I have advice about your chemo side effects, having been through it. First, I am not a naturalist/alternative treatment person AT ALL. But, l-glutamine has helped with neuropathy and studies done in UCLA seem to show that's true. You buy it in powder form at a health food store, and then take it the day of chemo, the day after, and the day after that, in large doses. You can google for the dosage if you like. It does not interact with anything you are taking. After three years of straight chemo, seven different ones, I hardly have any neuropathy. It worked the best on the carbo/taxotere which is what you are on. It works almost immediately so you'll know.

As I have gotten sicker, I am less able to drink the glasses of water necessary so I've slacked off but you can try it. My neuropathy is very mild anyway, mostly muscle twitches (fasculations) which are super rare anyway. I don't hardly notice it.

Also, c.diff is a HUGE problem in hospitals, in cancer patients with low white counts (which might be why you are having fevers) and in people who take antibiotics. I strongly urge you to take probiotics (culturelle and florastor) and eat yogurt daily. Trust me, c.diff is not an infection that you want, and I got mine after I had a bladder infection.

Those things may or may not help as preventatives but none will hurt. (make sure the florastor is the capsule kind as it's a yeast). After I had it I was told to take it by my infectionous disease specialist and you can google and see it for yourself. My c.diff was so bad I was in intensive care, I was told I was going to have my colon taken out if my blood pressure dropped one more point. Thank goodness it didn't, but I was ill for months after that, sicker than cancer has ever made me. And, I can't help but think my QOL would be better now if I'd never gotten it. If you start having any diarrhea, immediately ask for a culture.

Good luck. The whole thing is really scary, nightmarish even. But oddly enough, we can adjust. It just takes some time, much more than four months. Once you make a decision you will feel a bit better. Personally, I would go with the doctor who says there are a lot more treatments rather than one who is negative and putting you in the grave in a year. It is highly unlikely for you to be dead in a year at this point. And, there are a lot of treatments left to you as I well know. Including the famous TDM1.

Have they done a biopsy to see if you are still HER2+? Cancer can change, and if you are, maybe perjeta is in order. Seems to have helped me and my cancer seemed intractible.

I think it was very smart of you to get a second opinion. I think hearing other options or a tie-breaker will be helpful. And, I personally would not choose a negative/you're gonna die/by the numbers type of doctor. That's just my style - I want to hear the truth and what statistics say of course, but I don't want a doctor who doesn't believe that I can beat those odds. My oncologist is a believer in me. So I would be wary of the gyn/onc and her certainty of your lifespan.

Just my opinion and I wish you the best of luck. Tell your daughters, they don't need the exact details of the date of your death. They will want to know.

*hugs*

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Becky

Ugh. Are you still on Herceptin? Are the mets Her2+? If so, add some Her2 agent in - maybe TDM1. Can they put chemo inside the uterus. I know that sounds harsh but can they? Can some targeted radiation be used to shrink the tumor by the bladder so that you can get a hysterectomy and then they put chemo in the peritinal space. That's what they do for ovarian cancer that has spread. I know my thinking out loud is alittle wacky but you also have a rare spread. I am thinking about you and if more things come to mind, I will post them.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Bunty

Joanne, sending you healing thoughts and prayers..... I can't add much, but for neuropathy and some general body balancing, I really believe in acupuncture.
Marie xx
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Mtngrl

Joanne,

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a trial!

You've gotten lots of good advice above. I don't disagree with any of it.

My only question is, why aren't you getting Herceptin or one of its offspring?

I pray that you find healing and wholeness. I pray goodness and mercy for you and yours. I pray that love surrounds you and enfolds you, and that pain and worry subside.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
Paula O

(((Lifting you in prayer right now))))

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Jean

Joanne,
I am a huge believer in 2nd & 3rd opinions. Seek out doctors who are working on cutting edge treatments,
who think outside of the box.

While this is not the same as your current situation, I want to share that when I was dx. in 05, back then early stage was told no herceptin, period. Just did not make sense to me. I went for the 2nd opinion, the 3rd opinion,
and yes a fourth!!! I went out to see Dr. Salmon who
told me that I was correct and should have herceptin for my early stage bc had nothing to do with the size of the tumor. Seek out dr. in the field who are doing trials and research in this area. They are working on cutting edge treatments.

Wishing you strength and peace as this is zapping your strength mentally. I am so sorry that you have to search so hard for answers....but in my heart I believe there are some better answers out there.

Fondly,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #17
Jackie07

Joanne,

Perhpas the reason why your doctor wouldn't take the surgery route is partially due to the concern of angiogenesis? The blood vessels could grow and spread in a rage from the surgical wound ...

Especially when they are still not sure about the nature of the cancer in the uterus.

A 2nd (and/or third) opinion is needed. The mother of two sisters in our church had been given six months by our local hospital for her stage IV lung cancer. Her daughters took her to MD Anderson and she was able to do the treatment locally according to the prescription given by the doctor at MD Anderson. She lived six times longer ...

"Never, never, never give up..." - Winston Churchill.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Soccermom

Joanne, I'm so very sorry for this news!
I like Becky's suggestion about possible "intra peritoneal/abdominal chemotherapy" I think it has real potential in your case.
Also if you can possibly do it I would get to an NCI designated cancer facility for that critical third opinion. They have Gynecological Oncologists who have more experiences dealing with metastices from distant sites.MDAnderson in Houston was my choice for second opinion. Then treatment carried out at home.
I can understanding how terribly overwhelmed you are and how tiring this all is but muster every ounce of strength you have and seek out Doctors who think beyond the norm and who are highly experienced .
Ill be holding you close to my heart and in my prayers,
Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 04-16-2013 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: More info
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
KsGal

Joanne...Im so sorry to read all you are going through, and all the stress you must feel. When I think about this site, your posts always come to mind..how sweet and supportive you are. ((hugs)) Im glad you sent your records out to get another opinion. I think your doctors need to be on the same page about where they are headed with your treatment and the results they expect to get. Im praying that you will get answers soon that will relieve your stress and get you going with the most effective treatment. Big cyber hugs to you..
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
NEDenise

Joanne...
Thinking of you, and wondering if you feel up to giving us an update.

Sending prayers and a hug your way.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote