HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
juanita

sleep? what sleep?

I know we've talked about insomnia on here before, but I would like to know how many of you have it and how long it has affected you. I can't remember how far into everything i was when it hit. I do know I did not talk to the doc about it till six months ago. I'm just stubborn like that. He gave me ambien to take at night. I've been on it since June, or there abouts. When I went to refill it last week, the drugstore could not fill it per the insurance company without the doc calling them and saying that yes I do still need the ambien. So I went for three days without it while they went back and forth. I was so exhausted from not getting to sleep, but could still not get to sleep. I tried getting back up and everything I'd ever read to do. The pharmacist recommended trying to wean myself off of it. So what I'd like to know is who has had insomnia, how long you've had it and suggestions or advice on "weaning" myself off of it.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Copping Z's

Ambien is more of a short-term remedy and is used more for a time of crisis than for ongoing situations. Trazodone is more commonly used for longer situations. I used Ambien at each chemo treatment as it helps reduce nausea and vomiting because it reduces anxiety. I also used trazodone briefly once or twice but discovered that I could get rid of my insomnia with just melatonin, so that is what I have used instead. When I happen to run out or stop it, the melatonin has always seemed to need several days use to build up again to an adequate level, rather than taking a high dose of it. I generally take 0.5 mg or 1 mg at bedtime, and sometimes I repeat that dose if I need to before morning but usually once I've been taking it for a while I sleep straight through. The nice thing about the melatonin is that I do wake up feeling clear-headed and refreshed, and that wasn't true with the trazodone.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
bobbiw

I hate to tell you that I still do not sleep well and had my last chemo end of May. Am currently doing Herceptin and taking Tamox. I never had trouble sleeping pre chemo, could fall asleep anywhere but here I am with insomnia. Everyone is different however and good luck to you.

Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
janet/FL

There is a new sleep medicine out that I have a prescription for. It is a melatonin but evidentaly a little different than the over the counter type. Rozerem 8 mg tab. it is not considered a controlled drug. It will take a day or 3 before it works. I was told it was OK to talk an additional pill with it until it kicks in. Ambian CR does not work at all for me. Ambian is very short acting--like 2 or 3 hours.
I have a very bad time sleeping so Halcion, (Triazolam) has been my standby.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Tessa

Zzzzzzzz

I definitely feel that (a) sleep is essential to health and healing, and (b) being awake in the middle of the night and fretting - to put it mildly - is OUT. I take .5 mg of melatonin, whihc seems to make it easier to get back to sleep if one wakes up during the night, and then just the little Tylenol Simply Sleep pills. These are the 'may cause drowsiness' component of antihistamines, without the antihistamine part, and I find 1 1/2 completely effective. I#ve been taking them for quite a while, no side effects, no grogginess (if one allows for 7-8 hours of sleep), I don't think they are addictive, and if so, frankly I don't care.
I tend to think that all prescription medication tends to have some unfortunate side effects, but this may not apply to Ambien.
I have recommended Simply Sleep to several friends wih insomnia for various reasons, and it always seems to help.
Sleep well,
Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
MGordon

Juanita -

We combine Ativan with Ambien. Ativan is just a great drug. Anti-Anxiety - sleep assist - helps nasseau, etc. Nurses love it too! Talk to your Onc.

Are you on Decadron by any chance? If so, talk to your Onc and try to move doses earlier in the day. If you are taking a steroid with evening meds this can contribute to lack of sleep.

Love and Light
Mel
Old 12-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Christine MH-UK

What else are you on?

I found the insomnia really bad when I was on herceptin and would have gone bonkers if I had not started taking a trazodone for two or three nights in the week after my herceptin (I was on triweekly). I don't think that it would be good to go off sleep meds when on herceptin.

I found that I suffered from insomnia every three weeks for about two months after I finished herceptin but haven't had insomnia since then.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
juanita

I am not currently getting any treatments. I finished my year of herceptin in June 06, but had been having problems with insomnia since Sept 05 or thereabouts. The insomnia is the one side effect that has not gone away. It's really frustrating to be told that the meds aren't made to be taken long term and I should try to wean myself off of them, but what are you supposed to do if you're having problems long term?
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
tousled1

I'm with Mel - Ambien and Ativan are the way to go. I have terrible insomnia since my diagnosis and I don't care what it takes to get a good nights sleep. Even so, there are some nights when I'm up prowling around at all hours. It seems sometimes the mind will just not shut off.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #10
Chelee

After I started the chemo & herception I just wasn't sleeping good. Not total insomnia...but I would wake up *every* 40 minutes to one hour on the dot. This would happen EVERY single night. Once I finished chemo in June, I thought my sleep might improve. But I found with the herceptin I was STILL having problems...waking up so many times per night. Exhausted the next day!

Now the strangest thing that happened is I started on Zoladex implants & Femara. I WAS taking the Femara in the day time but it made me SO sleepy I couldn't stand it. So I started taking my Femara at 9:00PM & NOW all of a sudden I sleep great at night. I have NO idea why the Femara has helped me sleep...but it is the ONLY good thing I have found I like about it. (Femara makes me ache & hurt all over...but it has helped me get a full nights sleep for whatever reason?)

Before the Femara the only thing that helped was restoril, and ativan. Now I don't have to take anything & I actually sleep all night. (Strange)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Barbara2

Be careful about taking Ativan every day or over an extended time

I took it daily for about a year and a half and became addicted. As Tessa said, I really wouldn't have cared if it was addictive, except that the side effect was severe fatigue. I felt awful. No energy, couldn't think. My brain just couldn't function well at all.

Finally, my onc looked through what meds I was taking and said, "Oh yeah, Ativan can be addictive and lead to fatigue." I gradually weaned myself off of it, but it took about 3 weeks. One of the physicians assistants told me it could be rough, and it kind of was. But oh when that fatigue went away, I was a new person.

I still take Ativan when I'm sick and want a good night's sleep, or anytime I'm wanting to sleep through the night for whatever reason. But I usually only take 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote