HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Tessa

Breast cancer and now ovarian cancer

A friend of mine, who went through (non Her2) breast cancer a few years before me, has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, for which prior breast cancer is, unfairly enough, a risk factor. None of her doctors recognized the 'non-specific' symptoms of bloating and abdominal discomfort (they told her to change her diet) even though ten seconds googling 'ovarian cancer symptoms' on the internet made it clear that with those problems she should have been tested instantly. It is now six months later, and finally her massage therapist advised her to get tested for ovarian cancer and the ct-scan confirmed the diagnosis.

Anyway, I know this is a bit off the Her2 track, but if anyone has any experience, any suggestions, any information, any encouraging stories I would be very, very grateful.

Thanks,
Tesssa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
kristen

Tessa.

My kids kindgergarten teacher was dx with ovarian cancer 2 yrs ago, stage IV and has had a reoccurance and has become stable again. Twice now. I don't know all the particulars except that I see her out there with the kids in a hat getting them in the cars with there parents. She just keeps going. God Bless her. From what I hear she is doing great again and we continue to pray for her and hope for NED. My best to your friend.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Tom

Dear Tessa,

I am sorry to hear of your friend's current problem. I recently lost a good friend to ovarian cancer, and I can give you a few suggestions:

One is to insist that the cancer be treated with aggressive surgery to reduce the tumor load as much as possible. This has proiven to be a critical step when used appropriately.

Another tip is to ask the oncologist about getting her on a drug recently making strides in treatment trials, called Ovarex. It is currently in Phase III clinical trials I believe, and targets the CA-125 protein. This protein is overexpressed in 80% of ovarian cancers. It is a monoclonal antibody and works in much the same way as Herceptin does. The website for this drug is www.ovarex.com.

The third suggestion is that she ask about intraperitoneal levage with whatever conventional chemo agent they feel will work best. This is generally tried when there is general spread in the abdominal cavity, and involves literally "washing" the inside of the abdominal cavity with the liquid chemo agent, rather than relying on systemic infusion.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Tessa

Thank you so much, Kristen and Tom for your encouraging, and incredibly informed (Tom! how do you know these things?) response. I feel incredibly more optimistic and will call my friend in san Francisco and pass along the cheering news.

I knew you guys would come through,

Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
R.B.

I think I recall ovarian problems can be a side effect of Tamoxifen. You might like to check out the side effects if of any relevance.

From my reading there are common areas between ovarian cancer and BC.

The fat pathways PPAPs etc feature.

You might suggest that your friend looks at diet including balancing the omega threes sixes etc. as an adjunct to any treatment chosen, if this has not already figured in her thinking. There are lots of posts on this site (use search button on purple bar above). Significant changes in diet should be discussed with advisors.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote