HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
lilyecuadorian

Thumbs up Food column

I was wanting to add one more aspect to our visits to this site because we come here daily looking for information, sisterhood, and support. I was wondering if we could exchange our daily menu. For example, today I eat brocolli, rice and organic chicken. I don't really want to eat the samething tomorrow so I was wondering what else was on the menu? What did you guys eat, today, so I can consider it for tomorrow.

So, if you ate something different let us know so we can consider it for the next day's meal. Please, post what you ate today (especially if it was good) so we don't get to boring with the healthy foods.
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
madubois63

I like this idea...sometimes I just can't think of new things to cook...

I am making the standard for dinner tonight - chicken soup. we had a roasted chicken the other night, so I set the leftover meat aside and boiled down the bones for my stock. I bought fresh veggies (carrots, celery, onions, peas, corn, lots of garlic) yesterday and have my herbs growing in the back (I like basil, thyme and parsley in my soup). I use brown rice pasta. I like it better than the whole wheat pasta. Not as gummy. My kids don't like the whole wheat, and they don't even notice a difference in the brown rice pasta. I put salt and pepper to taste and also some turmeric (gives it a nice golden color) and a dash of cayenne.

Last night I made Fettuccini Alfredo with grilled veggies. Grilled baby zucchini, red onions, red and green peppers, snap peas, garlic, scallions, broccoli. Again, I used brown rice pasta. I use 2 kinds of grated cheese for the sauce - Pecarino and Parmesan, fat free half and half, s & p, parsley, garlic and a dash of butter (optional - but I am also cooking for kids). You can add chicken to the mix - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. The kids like it either way.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #3
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Hello My Little Lily!!

Yesterday afternoon I made baked skinless stuffed chicken, the stuffing was a chestnut/apple and I baked it in the same casserole dish as our sweet potato. Yummy yummy for the tummy!! It steamed up lovely and allows me to go to work today and know he has another piece of chicken to eat while I am gone. The vegetable was beets, not my favorite at all but very good for you. There were avacados with fresh ginger and thinly shaved lemon rinds for the dessert we never ate.

I went to the Breast Cancer Seminar last night and there I picked on salad, more baked chicken (not as good as mine..tehehe!!), mashed potatoes and green beans. Now that I am looking at yesterdays agenda all I can say is OINK OINK!!!

I am hoping you are feeling better My Sweet, you are certainly in my deepest prayers. And remember.....you are NEVER ALONE!!>>Believe51

PS: Awwww...now I want to go to the refrigerator and eat dessert....Aaaaah, it is 8:30 am here!!!
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
mts

I made chunky avocado with cubed tomato salad -- I add fresh basil to the tomatoes with some slivered red onion with sea salt. Let the tomato mixture sit for a little while and "juice up". Then add the avocado.
Its good over jasmine rice. It does nto need a meat, but obviously you can add chicken if you want more Ooomph!
If you cant find fresh basil, then cilantro will work well too.

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
PinkGirl

Smile yesterday

My hubby was out of town and I didn't have to cook.
For supper I ate a bag of Hallowe'en chocolate bars.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Karen W

This is a great idea... I am always looking for healthy recipes! I will not, however, share what I had last night (it involved Panda Express). Anyway, I am always so good, sometimes I just have to eat junk.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
BonnieR

My goodness, where are you getting the energy to cook? Chemo often has me feeling like it is too much trouble to get upright by the end of the day! I have been taking the easy way out, buying convience foods. I feel very guilty because I used to enjoy preparing healthy meals. (I had been following Weight Watchers guidlines) But I dont have the appetite for alot of things. And the dietician has been urging me to eat the most calorie rich version of things because I was losing too much weight. ..
I have 2 more chemo sessions and hopefully after that I will be able to resume my more healthy habits for my self and my husband. Although I will miss all the cheese I have been enjoying! And ice cream!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
RhondaH

Smile Lily...

I do the Breast Cancer diet (I will bump it for for newbie). I also (I'm analytical) have a menu for the week which is as follows ( I make 3-4 meals a week so that I have leftovers for one night AND when I make soup, I make a double batch and freeze the extra):

W/E 10/12/07

Sun Breakfast:

*Eggs (Organic)
Toast (Organic)
Sausage (Organic and while my son LOVES meat, I usually only have 1 and he gets 2 pieces)

*Creamy Tuna Casserole
http://www.chickenofthesea.com/recip...t1.aspx?did=34

ALSO, the "Elegant Salmon Bake" is a favorite...MANY of their recipes are good
http://www.chickenofthesea.com/recip...1.aspx?did=114

* Impossibly Easy Spinach-Parmesan Pie (My mother turned me on to ALL the "Impossible pies" they are SO quick and easy...BUT, I make my own Bisquick so as to keep everything as fresh as possible and to cut down on the preservatives. Also, MOST of my meat, bread and produce I by from farmers at the farmers market so that it is fresh and organic as well as I only occasionally use "frozen" or "packaged" food as I have a HUGE concern for processed/packaged food.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/...recipeId=34586

Bisquick
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...ck_mix,FF.html

* Meatloaf
Cranberries (Organic)
Sweet Potatoes

*AND the treat for the week...drum roll please!!!!

Impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/...recipeId=35939

I always make a fish meal, vegetarian meal and beef/pork/liver (my mom is slightly anemic so we do liver and onions once every few weeks AND so that we each get our "favorite" meals once in a while and less complaining, we take turns on the beef/pork/liver meals) each week AND one desert (I made carmel-apple bars a few weeks ago and left out enough for each of us a couple of pieces for the week and froze the rest)
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/...recipeId=37009

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
vickie h

Oh, All That Food Sounds Pretty Yummy....
I Was Diagnosed As Being Allergic To All Grains, Except Rice A Month Ago. I Also Am Allergic To Dairy (which I Haven't Eaten In 25 Years Anyway), And Tomatoes. So My Diet Has Been Pretty Limited, But Since Eliminating Those Foods, My Depression Levels Have Dropped Dramatically, As Well As An Extra 20 Lbs I've Shed, And Alot More Energy To Boot!
I Eat Lotsx Of Fresh Vegetables, Deep Sea Fish (the Smaller Ones For Less Mercury), Organic (grass Fed Only) Meats, Nuts, Beans, And An Occasional Piece Of Diabeic Dark Chocolate. I Know That Sounds Boring, But It Has Made A Dramatic Change In My Life.
Amazing How Our Diet Affects Our Lives. The Great News Is That I Have No Osteoporosis Or Osteopenia After All Those Years Dairy Free. My Calcium Has Always Come From Dark, Leafy Greens, Brocolli, Etc.
Last Night, We Had Stir Fried Vegies With Garlic And Ginger, Baked Brown Rice, Wild Caught Salmon And Baked Squash With Nutmeg And Lemon. It Was Soooo Good.
Love And Peaqce, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
lilyecuadorian

well I drink today my regular fruit and vegetables juice everymornig and then went out to work with my kids ..so I stop on subway for a veggie sub and for tonigh organic chichen, rice and plantains and juice thanks for all the ideas I dont have to think too much
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Mgarr

Love to cook - here's our last night dinner

I made an easy artichoke sauce from (Moosehead cookbook) one of my family's favorite - pretty good as I am married to a meat & potatoes man! I love it because its super fast/easy. Last night served over spaghetti squash.

Maybe RB will weigh in on the fats

Something like this

1/4 c butter
1/4 c olive oil
4-6 garlic cloves minced
1 140z. can artichoke hearts drained
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
fresh or dried basil (to your taste)

melt butter & olive oil, saute garlic til golden not brown add artichokes lemon & basil - simmer a few minutes serve over favorite pasta or veggie

Enjoy!

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
RhondaH

Smile Menu W/E 10/19/07

Menu W/E 10/19/07
*Sunday Breakfast
French Toast
Bacon

*Easy Salmon
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Salmon/Detail.aspx
Butternut Squash
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...ts/Detail.aspx

*Jamie’s Minestrone
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jamies-...ne/Detail.aspx
Bread

*Great Oma’s Potato Soup
Bread

*?

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Jean

mmmm good...

Today was a rainy day here in New Jersey.
Worked late so when I got home I peeled a bag of organic carrots
5 large celery stalks
1 large sweet onion
3 med. size organic white potatoes (can also use sweet)

Slice all of the above in the food processor.
In soup pot I pour olive oil to coat the pot.
2 pat of butter
Add all ingrediants to pot
Cook slow for 10 min
Add 2 cups water and continue to slow cook
When veggies are soft put all into food processor and blend until smooth.
Return back to pot.
add fresh chicken stock about 4 -5 cups
Salt/Pepper
Add 1 cup light organic cream
Stir and serve with hot crusty bread and salad

Salad
Fresh spinnach
Mixed Greens
Chick peas
a wedge of red cabbage chopped
chopped Walnuts
dried cranberries
Black olives
salt / pepper to taste
Olive oil/balsamic vinegar

This meal is prepared in no time.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #14
madubois63

Vicky H - here is a site I came across while researching autism for a friend. They are finding that many children are responding to a wheat/gluten free diet. This company sells ready made pizza crusts made from brown rice flour and even brownies too...Hope this makes your life a little easier and tastier too...

http://www.glutensolutions.com/index.asp
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM   #15
madubois63

I changed my mind about what to eat for dinner last night....My daughter loves salmon and my son loves coconut shrimp. She hates coconut and he hates fish...I love both. The coconut shrimp is the easiest...First, dip the shrimp in whole wheat flour (rice flour works too) , then dip in egg/milk mixture. I use organic coconut and whole wheat bread crumbs - mostly coconut. For a pound of jumbo shrimp. I use about 2 cups coconut and 1/4 cup bread crumbs. You can bake them, but they are much better fried and cook very quickly. I only use 1/4 inch of oil in the pan. Canola oil tastes better than olive. I find the olive is too heavy for the shrimp. My son loves them plain, I like a dipping sauce. I use (hot) sugar free orange marmalade or sometimes I make an ambrosia to dip them in. I made a batch for my birthday and they didn't even make it to the table. Everyone was eating them as I took them out of the pan!!

The salmon is easy too. I chop up garlic, onions, scallions, zuccini and green and/or red peppers. Saute in a large skillet with a dash of oil. Add teriyaki sauce (about 1/4 cup depending on how much fish/veggies your making) and 2 tablespoons honey. I like fresh ground pepper - no salt is needed because of the teriyaki sauce. Put salmon fillets in pan and cover. Cook until vegies are tender to your liking and fish falls apart easily (10 - 15 minutes).
Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Lily

Oh Lily how I love plantains, could you give me some fresh ideas for cooking them?? I am a certified chef but even I have some trouble with the same old recipes. My belly is grumbling already.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #17
lilyecuadorian

Hey Marie G ...THE EASY one is pell the green plantains and cut it on slices and then put you fry pan with oil veg o olive oil and fryed and then take out and eat with grate mazzarela cheese , peanet butter or you can eat with any other food (dont forget to ask salt to the plantains

today I doing a lentil soup with rice and chicken (organic)
Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
Jean

Maryanne,
Thanks for the shrimp receipe - will make it for din din tonight
we love shrimp also,

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #19
Marlys

Here are a couple of my favorites.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Attached Files
File Type: doc Grilled Shrimp Salad.doc (1.5 KB, 213 views)
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
lilyecuadorian

for those who want to add some little salsa with avocados there is one easy ..pell the avocados cut and a littles pieces and grate a red onions and add lime and sea salt and mixed all together .....is really good ...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Marlys
This message has been deleted by Marlys.