HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2004, 03:48 AM   #1
Kay

I've just posted this message on the main board but since my question has to do with a clinical trial I'll post it here too. Thanks.
-- -----------------------------------------
I’m considering participating in the Phase II clinical trial for oral GW572016. This trial is open to those who have seen tumor progression while on Herceptin (my case). It apparently attacks both HER1 and HER2/neu receptor signals.

Are any of you currently on this trial or does anyone know anyone who is currently on this trial? This is an investigational drug and I would really appreciate getting more information about the side effects results etc.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
Ant

Hi

I know it's a while since your post so you have probably already made up your mind by now. But this information may be useful to others in the same position.

My partner Debbie has been on GW572016 for 10 weeks now. When she started the trial she had a tumour in her lung measuring 19mm plus extensive skin mets (rash) on the whole of her left arm (which has lymphoedema) her left hand her left shoulder plus patches dotted around her back and torso. The tumour and rash had been reduced with previous rounds of Chemotherapy (6 x AC 5 x Taxotir 6 x Xeloda) over the last two and a half years but always eventually returned meaning a different approach needed to be tried. Although her initial breast tumour removed was tested and found to be her2+ after 28 weeks of Herceptin that was also failing to keep the cancer at bay.
And so now she is on the new (we pray) wonderdrug GW572016. Initial response is VERY positive. The skin mets I described have very nearly all disappeared. The difference is phenomenal. Her oncologist and clinical trial nurse could barely contain their delight when they compared them to the photographs taken at the start of the trial. The scan on her lung tumour showed that it has not grown at all but is the same size at 19mm. If GW572016 can keep it at this size we would be delighted as she is in reasonably good health and would certainly live with that. To be honest I was slightly disappointed at the scan result. Having seen the difference in the skin mets I was hoping the lung tumour would have started to shrink but maybe that was hoping for too much after 8 weeks. We'll be going for another CT scan in 6 weeks time so i'll keep anyone who's interested posted on the results.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
*_Martha_*

Dearest Kay,

I am new to this site and this is my first time posting any response. I just wanted to let you know that I am in fact participating currently in the Phase I study of this GW drug. I have invested a ton of hope in this drug even though my onc said that it is not a cure or that there is no possibility of remission for me. I can tell you this. I had palpable tumors in the nodes under my right arm and neither I nor my ocn could palpate them after just four weeks on the drug.

I'll have some scans done on the 27th of this month to compare to the ones they did at the beginning of the study, I'll get the results on the 3rd of Feb. I am also doing Herceptin in conjunction with the study drug. If you need to talk or want some more info in the study please feel free to email me at FisherRN2B@aol.com

I just finished up with the PK phase of the study. Best wishes to you,

Martha
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #4

Can you post where the trial is being done or where we can get info?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Pam

I am currently starting my 11th month on the clinical trial drug Lapatinib, GW572016 with weekly Herceptin and monthly Zometa. I'm in phase 1.
I would really like to communicate with anyone else on Lapatinib with Herceptin. rstoops@iquest.net
Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Think Pink

Hi there, my name is Martha and yes, I have currently been on the GW for about nine weeks, almost ten now. Feel free to ask me any questions concerning you.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
pk stoops

I am currently in my 11 month of taking Lapatinib GW572016 (plus Herceptin weekly and Zometa monthly). Lapatinib and Herceptin have kept my bc stable.
Herceptin wasn't able to hold things down alone.
I have to medicate for "itchiness", have some blemish problems, & diarrhea as side effects. Seems like hair is "weak" and can fall out/break easily.
I am in phase I of the GW572016, taking 3 pills a day (750mg), and getting treatment at IU Med Center, Indianapolis, IN., Dr Kathy Miller.
-Pam