HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
valleygirl

radiation questions

So glad to be done weekly chemo and moving on to every 3 weeks!!! whoop whoop!!! another mile stone. Now on to radiation. What should I expect? Is it painful? I'm finally back to work and hoping it does not interfere.
I think I'm going to wait and start after my daughters wedding. Thanks for any insight!!!
Denise
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
jacqueline1102

Re: radiation questions

Hi Denise,

I just finished my radiation part as of last Friday. I had 33 treatments. As far as what to expect here was my experience. I continued to work throughout my treatment. I have a low stress, professional job so that was good. My skin became a little raw into the fifth week and we had to stop for about 3 days so my skin could recover. Be sure to moisturize in the morning and afterwards. The Aquaphor was doing its job until the raw part. My doc did order me Silvadine which is a burn treatment solution. I am a little fatigued but this is normal I am told. The radiation does not hurt. My skin was raw but did not hurt. Partially because the mastecomy left me numb underneath my arm pit which is where the rawness was centered. The Aquaphor tended to rub off on my clothing so there was some staining. Be sure to eat healthy and drinks lots of water. Stay away from caffeine or any drink which could dehydrate you. Enjoy your daugher's wedding.

Take good care,

Jackie
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
NanaJoni

Denise - Jackie pretty much covered it all. The only other thing - which you probably already know- is that the treatments are every day (5 days for me with weekends off). I had to drive about 25 miles each way to the center where I had treatments - then after undressing and getting prepped, hte entire treatment time was only about 3 minutes. You will have to go in a couple of times prior to starting treatment for measuring and marking (I have little tattooed dots) so that the radiation is going exactly where it needs to. I'm very fair and put my skin cream right after each treatment before getting dressed and had very minimal burning. Be sure to ask the nurses or techs for whatever they recommend before treatments start. Several of the women I met during radiation were doing it during lunch hours and never missed any work but everyone reacts differently so don't worry if you get very tired or have other problems. After chemo, radiation is seemed very easy to me. Good luck and let us know how it is going.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
karen z

Radiation (per se) does not hurt.
The further into the treatment the more likely it is that one will get some redness, some burning (but my doctor checked me each time and adjusted as necessary). I did work through radiation but was quite tired with little energy. If I had it to over again (I have a high stress job and need to work quite a bit) I would have not gone back to work until radiation was through.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Deb33

You don't say what type of chemo you had? Per my doc, adriamycin seems to make our skin more sensitive to the radiation and it was an ongoing battle to keep my redness under control. An Acupuncturist found a wonderful burn sauve that I used and was approved by all my docs - Springwind Burn Sauve - find it online. It smells like dead leaves and is brown but definitely saved me. Nothing else worked. I also treated myself to a soft, shirt that zipped down the front that was my "radiation outfit" - easy on, easy off. You will do fine - radiation is much easier on the body than chemo.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
tricia keegan

I just found I was fatigued with the rads and did'nt burn but did go pink and itchy! It was also expensive to pay for gas each day to the centre so be prepared for that!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote