HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
momcat

Question follow up standard of care

Post treatment, I am with a new oncologist. I think, because she has not made the journey with me, I am not 100% comfortable with her treatment decisions. Although I have a regular schedule of follow up appointments, with her, rad onc, surgeon, GP ( 1 a month) I question no follow up testing. I am thankful everyday, I have no symptoms to report, however I feel something is missing. When I did have vision problems, I was in for a brain scan, all kinds of appointments and she was relentless with this. Maybe my feelings are just becoming used to the new normal and fear of relapse? Dec 3rd 2011 will be my 2 year mark post surgery, time is time to get over this! Would be interested in hearing of others follow up care and perhaps some questions for my upcoming appointment. Namaste.
Carboplatin, Abraxane, Herceptin.
Dec 09 Unilateral modified radical mastectomy,Full lymph node disection 26 removed-3 nodes with dead cancer cells. NED.
Full schedule Rads March 10.
Finished Herceptin Aug 2010.
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
stefanie s

Re: follow up standard of care

Momcat - congratulations on your 2 year mark! Please keep us updated with your new oncologist during your breast cancer treatment. It must be hard to trust someone new, but I feel that they all earned their respective credentials and some may just practice and proceed differently than others. Of course, oncologists entered that field for a reason and they want to be there. What was the reason you had to go with a new oncologist, if you don't mind me asking?
stefanie s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
momcat

Re: follow up standard of care

Changing doctors mid stream is a story in itself. I had a great oncologist, who moved 1200 miles away. She referred me to another doctor in the practice. We had a major philosophical difference. When I asked him, what were my chances of reoccurence, his reply was "it is in God's hands". Certainly true enough, and a most appropriate answer, from anyone but my doctor. He absolutely refused to address my question with any other answer.Another thread in the story is that my husband was also in treatment at the same time. This doctor was insistent that I make him understand he had very little time left with us. The poor dear was in complete denial, and made the decision to live, and die, that way. I did not feel it was appropriate, as I knew him and knew that denial was the route he chose. So I decided what I needed was a doctor who was a scientist, and my surgeon referred me to such a doctor. Well, she was able to provide me with the statistical answer (86% chance of no reoccurance) but I have just never bonded with this new doctor. And writing this all down, in some sort of order, leads me to the conclusion that I should probably schedule a follow up visit with my first oncologist! Sort of like your first true love?
Carboplatin, Abraxane, Herceptin.
Dec 09 Unilateral modified radical mastectomy,Full lymph node disection 26 removed-3 nodes with dead cancer cells. NED.
Full schedule Rads March 10.
Finished Herceptin Aug 2010.
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote