HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
PositivePeg

Felling so alone . . .

Hi! I'm a newbie. My official diagnosis was on Dec.4: stage 2, estrogen +, Her2+. I'm scheduled for a mastectomy with reconstruction on Jan. 14. Even tho' that stinks, I'm blessed with wonderful, loving support of my husband, daughters & friends.
So, how can it be, that I feel alone? My self-consciousness keeps telling me that people only think of cancer when they see me. I've been open & willing to explain my situation to others, but gosh darn it, I hate it when someone refers to my upcoming 6 hour surgery as a 'procedure'! I let others take the lead & I answer questions, but I'm not sure how much info is too much. And, why do I feel the need to reassure others that I'll be ok?!
Yes, this is a vent & I figure the people who read this will understand. I haven't cried for a week, but I feel like I need a good cry! My faith is strong. My body has been through different types of trauma twice before & Jesus has been with me every step of the way. So, how can I feel like I'm alone? I'm rambling, sorry.
Peg
I need to do a signature. In the meantime, I'm 61 yrs old & live near Columbus, OH. BTW, I chose my user name a week ago! Not feleling it this evening!
PositivePeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
MaineRottweilers

Re: Felling so alone . . .

Good morning, Peg.

Having cancer (or any illness) can be very lonely even when you are surrounded by caring, supportive people. You've been betrayed by your closest and most divine avenue, your very own body. If you cannot trust yourself, who can you trust? That is a very lonely thought. I am amazed at your strength, you have not yet cried. Let it go, it may be cathartic. I am so glad your faith is strong, it will help to carry you through your loneliness.

As far as needing to reassure others that you will be OK, that only goes as far as you allow it. You don't need to reassure anyone of anything, you do not need to share explicit details of your treatment, if it makes you uncomfortable. The only obligation you have is to your immediate support system and that is to let them know that you will do your best for yourself for as long as you can. This journey is about you, between you, your body and your faith. You can choose to share (or not) with whomever, as much or as little of it as you are comfortable with.

The reason you feel alone right now is because you are in conflict with your body and faith, feeling a bit betrayed by the two things that make us, US. As you begin to come to terms with what is happening to you and try to find a place of balance, if not comfort with your new circumstance, you will regain your confidence and feel much less lonely.

We've all been exactly where you are but it doesn't make it any less lonely for you. You can only look at us as we move forward and see that it is possible to move forward, live, love, enjoy, rejuvenate, heal and rejoice. It just takes time. It's a process much like grieving.

God Bless,
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
LizzElliot

Tracy, that is a beautiful, nearly divine answer. Bless you for being who you are and so in touch to write something so true and so meaningful. xo.
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Carol Ann

Please take the pressure off yourself to reassure everyone if it becomes tiring. You need all your energy to take of yourself right now. If anyone has a "job" in all of this, the people who surround you are there to support you, not the other way around.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
agness

I wouldn't do surgery first if I were you. I know this is throwing a kink in the works but they are going to have you on chemo anyway and having surgery first will eliminate the one chance you have to see if your therapy is working.

It sucked going right into chemo but when I finally had surgery it had completely dissolved my tumor in my breast and axilla. I was able to get away with less surgery -- which was my preference anyway. I had such bad locally advanced disease and yet I wanted to try to help my body heal as much as possible.

The fact that you are HER2+ at all and are being offered surgery first shows me that your surgeon is behind in their practice and you are being offered "standard of care" for any breast cancer type.

MD Anderson has been saying this for years. I think you need a new doctor or at least a new protocol.
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Carol Ann

Second what Agness just said. My case was different because none of my tests revealed anything, so I never had the option of which to have first, but Agness is correct that chemo first is now considered the better way to proceed ... please get a second opinion!!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
jacqueline1102

Greetings Peg,

I second what the others have been saying; the standard of care these days is to administer chemo first so as to shrink the tumor load and see how well you respond to the chemo. Then surgery and then radiation. I would advise seeking a second opinion as well and having someone in your family go with you to that appointment to take lots of notes.

As far as reassuring others, please use that emotional energy towards yourself. I hear all too often as a provider as well as myself, being a patient, that the patient diagnosed with the cancer spends an exorbiante amount of energy on how others are coping. And yet somehow, others do not know how to respond to the cancer patient; yet so willing to accept the reasssurance from the patient who is suffering. We also know that coping becomes particularly challenging when the patient has had previous traumas. The body then becomes activated and we are on high alert, watching for the next hit so to speak. Please take care of yourself during this time line of treatment (and after). And talking with someone as in other patients or a provider who "gets it" about cancer treatment not just a provider (psychotherapist) who is a generalist.

Hope this all makes sense. Peace to you,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
agness

I should add that I had arranged to take three months off work and had surgery scheduled for an abdominal fibroid surgery, everyone knew about it. I cancelled the surgery on s Monday of the week I was to have surgery, even though it would help me with my infertility, even though it could help me get pregnant, even though my own mother got mad at me. I hadn't been able to sleep for days and I finally realized it was the surgeon and not me, that she wasn't right for me.

I did have the fibroid surgery a year later and with a much better, all woman, surgical team. It was an amazing experience in my life - even as sucky as having surgery can be. I have two kids now, conceived with TCM and not ART to boot.

You are paying someone to cut you. We have already been establishing in our separate thread that HER2 gets mishandled and you, as the customer, get to decide.

But yeah, your doc is wrong.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
PositivePeg

Hello everyone!
Thank you so much for your responses - esp about trying to reassure others. Traci - you're right about feeling betrayed by my body. I survived injuries from a motorcycle accident in 2013, then I had my entire spine rotated & fused (aggressive scoliosis) in 2014. The recovery is 2 years & my breast cancer diagnosis came at the 13.5 month mark! Jackie, at this point I may always be waiting for the next 'hit'.

As far as having surgery first, protocol used to be chemo first for 2 reasons: insurance wouldn't cover the type of chemo needed for Her2 unless it was done first AND because, as mentioned, tumors would shrink during chemo, with the possibility of having a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. I have 5 tumors in my right breast. Shrinkage won't help me avoid a mastectomy - they're all spread out. My surgeon & oncologist have agreed to surgery first, so they'll have the exact pathology report of ALL the tumors to determine the best chemo treatment. I have a great deal of confidence in my surgeon and the team she has put together for me. She's very picky - even about who reads test results.
Thank you for several responses with input about which should come first, but this plan makes the most sense to me - in my case. I want the tumors out, NOW.

My emotions have been all over the place. I went to my granddaughter's 5th birthday party & it seemed like I was 'outside' of myself - observing the party. Too weird!
I 'think' I spelled things right today!,
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
PositivePeg

Tracy, I'll be re-reading your message many times - thanks, again!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
agness

That's great that you are feeling ready for surgery. Yes, you probably can't avoid a mastectomy based on the current standard of care, but if you do TCHP you have a 50/50 chance of it working.

I did want to correct your statement about chemo being the older standard of care, just in case anyone else reads this and gets confused. It is unlikely that with early stage disease and a hell of a lot of patient pushiness that any tumor tissue will be tested for mutations beyond what is normally offered to any breast cancer patient today.

From my stage 4 sisters I have learned about live tissue testing through organizations such as the Weisenthal Cancer group -- where they take live tumor and test to see what chemo it responds to best:
http://weisenthalcancer.com

Foundation One testing is another common one, done to sequence preserved tumor tissue in order to test for certain mutations that are common to cancer.
http://foundationone.com/

Other labs do different tests as well including tumor antigen testing, a cornerstone of the developing immunotherapy field:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumor_antigen

Unless you are very wealthy or influential, I highly doubt you are being offered better than standard of care. The only difference being that you lose out on the opportunity to know that neoadjuvant treatment was effective.

Last edited by agness; 01-10-2016 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #12
PositivePeg

Re: Feeling so alone . . .

Agnes, As a newbie, I accept your correction. I should clarify that in my individual case, the tumor board decided surgery first would be the best option for me. If I'm understanding your response, there are many different types of tissue testing and these aren't offered to everyone - therefore it doesn't affect the type of chemo a be patient receives. Is that what you're saying? I'm confused. I'll read the articles you sited - thank you. No, I'm not wealthy - darn!
Peg
Old 01-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
agness

My tumor board decided that I have a few months to live last week. They also ignored my disease progression even as I pointed out that I wanted to do more. I don't trust tumor boards much any more. Mine was sending me to palliative care. I fired them and got a new team.

What do you want? Don't approach this with fear. With HER2 how soon will they start treating the mutation? Are you going to wait 6 or 8 weeks with HER2 disease spreading through your body? It's a greater risk to wait on chemo than to wait on surgery. Debulking the disease is nice but it is merely about staging you and that is of zero therapeutic value to you if chemo can get rid of it. Do what is best for your body and not what is most comfortable for your surgeon. Ask again why they believe that cutting into active tumor and delaying chemo will result in a better outcome and ask them to show you the studies that back them up.

I posted this a few works ago on the breastcancer.org site, maybe it will help you

20 Questions for Your Oncologist, and word from the wise
https://community.breastcancer.org/f.../topics/838726

I don't mean to challenge you but rather to challenge to care you are being offered. I'm sorry your body has disease, that you are here. I hope treatment gets you NED and you are able to put this behind you in time.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
Kkmom

Peg,
First of all no need to feel so lonely. We are all right here, just a keystroke away. As I was reading your post, I noticed your diagnosis was the same as mine when I had BC - estrogen/progesterone + with the her2neu. My mass was 1.9 cm and I had a lumpectomy. Is there a reason you are choosing a mastectomy or was it recommended?
After reading your post, I scrolled down and read the replies - when I got to the reply from Agness. I thought exactly what she wrote about having the treatment first, then determine what procedure is needed.
I highly recommend a 2nd opinion. I got a 2nd opinion when I had BC and I am so glad I did. You have to advocate for yourself when dealing with BC, ask questions and understand why and what procedures they are doing.
We are all here to help you - don't hesitate to ask. We have all been where you are right now.
Keep us posted

Pam
Herceptin, Carboplatin, Taxotere Started 6 rounds on 02/06/2013 Herceptin
Finished chemo - May 22, 2013
Radiation Therapy 06/12/2013 - 36X External
TM Marker - 13 October, 2013
TM Marker - 15 November, 2013
Annual Mammagram - 3D - Both Breast - CLEAR!!!
Colonscopy - 1st-Clear - November 18, 2013
CT Scan-Results-Clear - November 27, 2013
BC Diagnosis-1 Year - December 14, 2013
TM - holding steady at 15 - December 24, 2014
TM - 24.2 - January 12
Herceptin Treatment - Last One-February 4, 2014!!!
TM - 3.7 - February 4, 2014
MRI & CT - February 21, 2014 - All Clear
NED - and my doctor said - "well, it looks like you are NED - your MRI and CT are clear - Febuary 25, 2014
TM - 18.2 - February 21, 2014
Port Removed - Scheduled for Wed, March 19, 2014
Port Removed - Yeah!!! I feel lighter already!!!
TM - 15.3 - March 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Rt Breast - All Clear!!! - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
TM-15.5 - June 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Nov. 2014 All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram-Rt Only-May,2015-All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammo-Annual-Nov 2015-Right Clear!!! - Left Breast-found 5 mm CYST. Aspirated - all clear!!
TM - Nov 2015 - 18.2
NED-December, 2015 - 3 Years NED!!!
TM-Feb 2016 - 13.7
TM-June 2016 - 13.3
TM-Oct 2016-10.0
Annual 3D Mammo-Nov, 2016-All Clear!!!

Annual Mammogram - November 2017 - ALL CLEAR. i AM 5 (YES) YEARS OUT!!!

NED - 10 Years Out!! - December, 2022
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #15
Kkmom

Re: Feeling so alone . . .

Peg,
After reading the rest of your post, I understand why you are having a mastecomy first and treatment second. But know we are here for you and supporting you.

Pam
Herceptin, Carboplatin, Taxotere Started 6 rounds on 02/06/2013 Herceptin
Finished chemo - May 22, 2013
Radiation Therapy 06/12/2013 - 36X External
TM Marker - 13 October, 2013
TM Marker - 15 November, 2013
Annual Mammagram - 3D - Both Breast - CLEAR!!!
Colonscopy - 1st-Clear - November 18, 2013
CT Scan-Results-Clear - November 27, 2013
BC Diagnosis-1 Year - December 14, 2013
TM - holding steady at 15 - December 24, 2014
TM - 24.2 - January 12
Herceptin Treatment - Last One-February 4, 2014!!!
TM - 3.7 - February 4, 2014
MRI & CT - February 21, 2014 - All Clear
NED - and my doctor said - "well, it looks like you are NED - your MRI and CT are clear - Febuary 25, 2014
TM - 18.2 - February 21, 2014
Port Removed - Scheduled for Wed, March 19, 2014
Port Removed - Yeah!!! I feel lighter already!!!
TM - 15.3 - March 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Rt Breast - All Clear!!! - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
TM-15.5 - June 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Nov. 2014 All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram-Rt Only-May,2015-All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammo-Annual-Nov 2015-Right Clear!!! - Left Breast-found 5 mm CYST. Aspirated - all clear!!
TM - Nov 2015 - 18.2
NED-December, 2015 - 3 Years NED!!!
TM-Feb 2016 - 13.7
TM-June 2016 - 13.3
TM-Oct 2016-10.0
Annual 3D Mammo-Nov, 2016-All Clear!!!

Annual Mammogram - November 2017 - ALL CLEAR. i AM 5 (YES) YEARS OUT!!!

NED - 10 Years Out!! - December, 2022
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #16
Jedrik

Hi Peg,
I've got multicentric cancer in my breast, too. The two bigger knots where biopsied, both were Her2 positive. So, like you I'm scheduled for a mastectomie. But I do chemo first.
Here I am definitely chiming in with @agness: Her2-cancer cells are very motil, which means they get far early. So, to me too, the obvious solution is to hit them with all you've got as fast as you can.
For me this meant: Diagnosed by gyn on 17th septeber 2015 "This can't be good". Mammogramm on 21st, biopsy on 22nd, results 24th. Then multiple scans for staging. Commenced chemo on 19th october - just a month after gyn's first glimpse at the problem.
Now I can see those tumors shrink. so I know this treatment is right for me. Great feeling, very reassuring. Even if that breast still has to go, I'm next to sure, that all the margins will be clear or have mostly dead cancer cells and scaring which ups the prognosis quite a bit.
Still, you're an adult and as such you make your own decissions as you are the one who know best what she can cope with. Keep us posted, please.
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #17
PositivePeg

Agness, I'm so sorry your cancer has progress so far, so fast. You're in my prayers.
Thank you for being a strong advocate for the best treatment. I have a great deal to learn. The 20 questions for my oncologist is very helpful!
I had 3 weeks between my original mammo & the call-back mammo & ultrasound. (That was a mistake, but I knew many call-backs were unnecessary, never really thought I had cancer, so I didn't push for an earlier date or go to a different testing facility. I didn't have a gyn to consult b/c mine had retired a few months ago). I hate that I wasted 3 weeks! I tried to research, but was overwhelmed b/c I had no idea what I was looking for! I stayed off the internet for awhile & then focused on Christmas. I look back & think, 'what the heck was I doing with my time!'
I went to all of my appts with a new page of questions each time - I just didn't have the RIGHT questions! Each time, my husband & daughters & I felt confident with my team.
Thank you for putting up with me, I'm sure I caused some frustration!
Peg
Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #18
MaineRottweilers

Peg,

I'm glad you are newly armed with information that might help you to make the best choices for you. Medicine is a practice, there are more ways to treat than just one and you need to do what is right for you. I was given a number of options at diagnosis, neoadjuvant therapy or mastectomy with adjuvant therapy. I wanted the cancer OUT. I insisted on that mastectomy right away. There was no way I was going to be satisfied waiting to see if chemo worked while those cancer cells were still free to travel. The only solution in my mind, the only thing that made me happy, was to see that tissue GONE. No matter what you choose for yourself, it is YOUR choice and there is no wrong choice because this is about you and your body.
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
jaykay

I totally agree with Tracy. I've been following this thread and the bottom line is that it is your decision regarding your course of treatment. There is no right or wrong. But you have received some excellent information that will help you through the course of your treatment.

I had surgery first, wasn't even offered neoadjuvant chemo and that was only 3+ years ago. This was my 2nd breast cancer and was very fast growing - a smaller tumor had already split off. I wanted both my breasts gone as soon as possible.

Best
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
sarah

Just a quick note, after surgery you may be too tired and weak to even watch tv or movies or hold a book or kindle so take an audio book or two and some soothing music. Fight to stay in hospital as long as you need don't let them kick you out too fast. They should come in and have you breathe into a tube to avoid pneumonia and put massaging pants on you to avoid thrombosis - these can be made cool.
Don't forget you will have a morphine drip on the left side of your bed that you can press for pain relief. it is limited in dosage so you can't overdo it.
take care, hugs and love
I know it's all a shock but it will get better and you are lucky to have a solid husband standing by you. I was lucky in that also.
sarah