HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Andi

Question re: hand/foot syndrome

For those of you that have been on Xeloda and/or Tykerb and have some symptoms of hand/foot syndrome, how long were you taking these drugs before the symptoms started to show up?
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Sheila

Andi

I have only been on Xeloda, but I started having the H/F syndrome after the second round...and it got progressively worse to where they had to decrease the dosage. Hope this helps

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down kat in the delta

S.or ANYONE here at the her2 site: My ankles, and then going up my legs like socks, are in Pain !!!-- and the outer skin feels like it is on FIRE.!!! .I even have brown spots which my dermo. said it was Iron deposit and bad circulation--thought it was skin cancer..BUT Now it is getting worse.!! ..It is unbearable and I am taking a pain pill..My chest is also in pain and all over..but the Fire is mostly in my lower outer skin of both legs- and I do not want to even wear socks which may rub vs my skin. -I woke up with pain last nite.....know what kind of MD I should see?? Or What this may be ?? Some kind of Neuropathy or Inflam.B.C., maybe ?? . I have been off Herceptin for 6-7 mos. I have had a masc, and did rad and A/C and Taxol then Taxol with Hercep. when it was approved for me(had it in lymph nodes but no other part),+ 1 YR of Herceptin. I am taking Tamoxifen but am Postmen.and my Onc had me on Zometa, which I stopped taking last month after it was making my gums swell and caps fall out--- I didn't need it but 1x/yr or 4mgs/yr..My onc was giving it(4mgs) to me every 3 mos for osteopenia...
NOW , I am having PAIN pretty much all over-- inside chest and legs and the skin of my ankles and going up are on Fire !! HELP !! ANYONE.. -- Please help..I know you are not a MD..but I am in PAIN.....What do you think it is ?? ...

kat in the delta

Last edited by kat in the delta; 05-06-2007 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: left out
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Shell

Andi-

Like Sheila, my symptoms started after the second round (week 6). I had my dosage reduced 25%, which helped somewhat, and then eventually had it reduced that amount again...

I used udderly smooth cream which was very helpful.

Regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Unregistered

Re: Question re: hand/foot syndrome

There is treatment for neuropathy. My chiropractor lee weidner in Oceanside ny does some sort of vibration therapy. He said it worked better for diabetics than cancer survivors.

You can call him and see if someone with his training is in your area. Might be worth a try.

My friend has neuropathy and he said getting out and walking a bit helps. He has the broken glass feet neuropathy.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
cyalata

My hand/foot syndrome has been unbearable lately. I have cracks on my hands & feet are always peeling & sore. I can hardly move my hands when I first wake up. I have tried udderly smooth, bag balm, etc. etc. and the only thing that gives me relief is using plastic gloves. I use the non-latex powder free ones & it keeps my hands from drying & hurting so bad. Cotton gloves don't help, my hands dry out shortly after putting them on. I just saw my onc yesterday & she wants me to take an extra week off the xeloda (I'm on my one week break now) to let them heal a little. I've been on xeloda/tykerb since 12/10.
cyalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
KDR

Cyalata,
I learned an effective and simple trick for cracked hands and feet while in beauty school some 30 years ago. Apply Vaseline, then put on the gloves or booties before sleep. (Both gloves and booties will probably be removed during the night). It works wonders. Also, I sometimes use Neosporin if the cracks are especially tiny and painful.
I've only been on this T/H/X regimen for just three weeks, so I'll soon see how it affects me down the road.
Best of luck
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Rich66

Maybe this will help:

XELODA hand foot syndrome:

Basically, the Xeloda has a way of leaking into healthy tissues and goes to the extremities.
Things that seem to help:

Udder Cream (available at Wal-Mart) Note: apply liberally but GENTLY. Vigorous rubbing can aggravate things. Apply a few times throughout day. Good to goop it on at night and wear cotton socks or gloves to keep it there.

B6 supplement, 200mg/day
" The addition of pyridoxine (200 mg/day) for ameliorating the symptoms of CAP-induced HFS allows for the administration of higher doses of CAP"

Topical Henna, purchase here: www.castleart.com
discussed here: http://xelodasideeffects.blogspot.com/
Interesting anecdote: "Henna is a natural antiseptic and the chemical in henna fills the skin cell thus it can keep hands from cracking . Field workers in India would dig small recesses in the dirt fill with henna & water ans dip their hands & feet in the mix to help prevent the skin from cracking and keep other nasty bacteria away."

Generic generic neosporin from Walgreens helps for splits.

Staying off feet as much as possible until things calm down may help.

Some suggestion that 5FU/Xeloda may be better tolerated at night. could try taking most of the Xeloda before bed.

Try all the above before approaching docs since they may only offer dose reduction.

Lengthy article about 5FU (active component of Xeloda) which gives a great overview of where Xeloda came from and hints at newer variations on the way (S-1)

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.o...t/full/7/4/288

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Rich66

Kat, are you applying anything topical that might irritate the skin? any swelling?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
KristinSchwick

I'm also curious about the timing of the H/F syndrome relative to hand and foot activity. If I can schedule all my big walking days (ie: vacation times) when I'm off the xeloda, does that mean I won't get any hand and foot syndrome? Also I've heard rumors about icing after big walks, to slow the absorption of the xeloda into the tissues can stop or prevent further foot/hand damage. I remember when I was on 5-FU', they recommended eating ice chips to prevent mouth sores- same train of thought.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Ais4Abbott

Re: kat in the delta

I had this problem - neuropathy caused by Taxol, since the 3rd treatment. Even my sheets on my toes cause them to burn, forget socks or shoes that cover my toes. Taxol can cause permanent nerve damage. My Dr. stopped it after the 5th treatment, in April. It is better, now, just in my hands & fingers, and feet & toes. At least its not going up past my thighs now. Pain pills do nothing. Tell your Dr. It's still horrible. I'm here today, trying to find out if anyone that has had horrible neuropathy, found a way to make it better. My Dr. keeps mentioning exercise. But, how can I exercise when my feet and toes and hands and fingers hurt so much. Anything, even touching these keys, or turning pages of paper cause a burning sensation, and my fingers, or toes, turn cherry red. At first I thought I was being a wus, but, its really awful. Thankfully, I can bend my knees again, and step off curbs, again. I was in perfect shape - ha - before this chemo. The Herceptin isn't causing any problems for me. I'm through with the Taxol & Carboplatinum, but they really messed me up. Thankfully, I no longer get the tazor sensation everytime I accidentally tap on a wall I pass by. All my nails seem to be growing back, except the big toe nails are having a really hard time. Still I think I have less problems than most people. Best wishes. Tell your Dr. about the pain. I just read about the Rebuilder device that may cure neuropathy. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited by Ais4Abbott; 08-16-2011 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: New information
Ais4Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote