HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
PatriceH

Question Cancer Treatments and employment issues

I am currently employed. My employer has been very supportive, thus far. But my work environment is a mess. I work in an industry (commercial real estate) that has been hit very hard. The company I work for is struggling...I question the decisions leadership is making (or not making), structure and vision are non existent....

I am in this journey at a point where I am on herceptin treatments probably until November...other doc appointments and scans in between.

As you all know, you start to make life decisions on what matter most. I question the energy I am expending going every day to a workplace that leaves my talents untapped and me emotionally frustrated. I am building up other positive social/spiritual/emotional outlets in other areas of life.

What if I stick around and the place implodes and I am left without insurance, etc.? Oh, the questions!

I want to apply for other jobs, but who would hire someone in the middle of cancer treatments?!

Anybody been here before. How did you handle a job search? Did you just stick it out?

????
PatriceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Cancer Treatments and employment issues

Patrice,

I have lost my job every time I had a major medical procedure done. By law, if you take a medical leave, your job is preserved for a year (this was back in 1990, in Texas) All of my employers (I've had 4 major surgeries so far) 'dumped' me a year after I went back to work.

Now, my condition is a little different from having 'just' Breast cancer. I had had a 23-hour craniotomy in 1990 to resect a life-long brain tumor. Most people thinks that once you've got a head injury, you are 'done'. Well, I do have some deficits that I used to 'compensate' quite well. Except I got surgeries again and again, chemo again and again.

My last neuropsychological test came back quite low and validated all the problems I had had. But a more traditional IQ test administered by a psychologist contracted by the Texas Rehabilitation Commission still put me at a very high range. It's mostly because my deficit involves the 'short-term memory' area. I have difficulty learning/acquiring new information/skills. But what I've already known, I still know very well. And if I am given time to 'memorize' new information, I have no problem remembering it once I 'lock' it into my long-term memory.

I do not know how the insurance situation in your State is. In Texas, we have a Texas Risk Pool. I am running out of my COBRA soon (March). Was ready to send in my Texas Risk Pool application, but then received a notice that I might be able to extend another 6 months with COBRA (because of the Stimulus Act?) I'm waiting for the reply from the lady I had talked to a couple of weeks ago.

COBRA is a deal that allows an employee who is separated from his/her previous job to carry the same insurance for 18 months. I'm pretty sure it is a federal law. The Texas Risk Pool allows people who have run out of COBRA to 'pool' together in a State plan which currently is contracted out to Blue Cross Blue Shield.

So, theoretically, you can always carry insurance as long as you are able to pay the premium. I'm also waiting for the result of my disability application. If approved, I will qualify for Medicare after two years (I think it retros back to the time when I first made the application.)

I got my last job offer in summer, 2007 while I was standing in line at the hospital/clinic waiting for my pre-surgery appointment. I figured I will be recovered well enough to take the new teaching job in a local high school which is less than 10 minutes drive from our house.

Everything was fine until the new insurance with the school district kicked in in October. Because there was a dispute between my previous insurance carrier and the new insurance carrier - I was a hot potato that nobody wanted to claim - my medical condition became a 'public information'. The principal who had hired me understandably was not very happy.

So a year later, my contract was not renewed...

And I've been on the longest unemployment period in my life.

I often joke about my special status as a 'disabled foreign-born female minority'. But most government employees, including my job coach, did not find it funny at all. I think people are sensitive about 'discrimination' claims and are worried about law suit.

It's kind of funny that after my ultrasound on the right neck/shoulder area was done, I was a little bit alerted by the extra courtesey the technician had given me. She walked me all the way back to the waiting area - made me wonder if she'd seen something on the scan. She said it'll be tomorrow or next Monday before I get my result from my doctor.

But, anyhow, I just wanted you to know that your current insurance will be extended for 18 months (though you will have to pay the full amount by yourself) if you are separated from your current job. And most states have a risk pool available for those who have run out of COBRA.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-05-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas

Patrice,

I feel where you are coming from. The company I work for has been struggling and continues to do so as we speak. It was almost two years ago when i was diagnosed, and I had my initial surgery and chemo. At that time, I was convinced that I was totally bored with my job and my talents were being wasted.

But who, in their right mind, would hire me if I decided to look for another job? I stuck it out here, and funny thing, I'm no longer bored because I have had to wear so many different hats now. We have cut back so much.

Yes, I continue to work for insurance. But I'm also grateful for this job as long as it lasts. When/If the company crumbles, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Hope this helps!
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Darlene Denise

Jackie: Cobra will extend benefits an additional 11 months if you are disabled and notified the plan to request the extension. This would keep you continuosly covered until Medicare starts on the 29th month.

Hope this helps.

Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Cal-Gal

Thanks Patrice for this thread--

10 months ago, I lost my job due to my diagnosis--that is not what they told me--but that is what happened.

I was let go in the middle of chemo treatment--right before #3 of #6 Chemos--that was last March.

I am still on Herceptin and will be for another 4 months--

THIS SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW--But it isnt because they say it is in my case "a change in management"--what a CROC.....

--I have been looking for a job since July--and have had a rough go of it---my industry is big--but small in that everyone knows everyone--and I am afraid that word is out that I have HAD cancer.

I am on unemployment and COBRA--I am living with friends---
Boy--what a life!!! but at least I am alive!!!!

I am working on my FAITH in that all this will work out--and that I find a job SOON--

I do get where you are coming from---though---if I get an interview--do I tell them upfront that I have to have every Friday morning off until June? (H treatments?) if I do, will they hire me???and if someone does hire me--am I going to be let go like Jackie described???

This all just sucks!!!! and honestly I dont think anyone is doing anything about it--meaning the Government--there is a lot of discrimination out there w/cancer patients but there are NO STIFF Fines for these companies---like me--lots of people are not going to sue--because it is so stressful and when you are going through treatment, who needs more stress---

Sorry to vent-----
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Lani

Cal-Gal

Although I understand it is not typical for private clinics, University teaching hospitals and other larger cancer centers are known to give infusions on the weekend.

Could your oncologist give you an order for your infusions which you could get
a large center near you ???UCLA ???USC ???Cedars

I also understand some private clinics give infusions until 9 pm or so. Couldn't you get your infusions before/after work/ on the weekends.

Of course, before even considering changing where you get infusions it might be smart to do a trial run and see how well your cobra paid for the infusion at the other institution.

From what I understand, large hospitals/teaching hospitals may even be paid better for the same infusion by your insurance,( they may be able to negotiate for better rates, as they have more bargaining power) Be sure whatever it is that you do the trial first TO BE CERTAIN YOU will not be more out-of-pocket, rather than trusting anyone's word for it.

The above is just a reflection of what I have heard--it may be wrong as I do not have personal experience. Just thought it would be worth checking out!

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Cal-Gal

Thanks Lani for your note--

My main priority is finding a job---

Then worrying about the Friday treatment schedule--

I only have 16 treatments left-or 16 weeks of treatment.

And right now, after 6 months of looking for a job, I have not even had one interview--

Currently I am out of there(the treatment center) by 9:30am on Friday mornings---this should be the least of my issues with a future employer--the primary issue is getting someone to HIRE ME---and then NOT FIRE me because of the history of breast cancer once they find out--like Jackie has somewhat described---

Thanks so much,
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Jackie07

Darlene,

Thanks for the information. I've not heard from the court about my disability claim yet. There could be a problem because I've been collecting unemployment benefit which might be a conflict to 'disability' claim, according to my attorney after the hearing. But I am getting (just called and confirmed that it's going through) a six months health insurance extension through the 'Stimulus package' deal. After that, I will qualify for Texas Risk Pool.

But I am going to check into the 11 months deal that you have mentioned. Hopefully I'll get approved for my disability status soon.

I remember back in mid 90's when I first walked into the Texas Rehabilitation Counselor's office. After he had asked me "how can I help you?", his next question put me to tears: "What is your disability?" He's my counselor, he 'should have' read my file. And if he didn't know what my disability was, how was I to explain to others about my problems... The thoughts sent me to an uncontrollable sobbing [which had surprised me because I thought I had shed enough tears while in line at the unemployment office a couple of years before already.]

In the early 2000's, after my first breast cancer treatment (had been 'let go' a year after my Gamma-knife for recurring brain tumor[s],) TRC did sponsor me for the teacher training program (Texas Workforce Center paid for the tuition and fees, TRC gave me a small gas stipend while hubby served as my unpaid driver) This time, after they gave me a psychological assessment (including IQ test), they haven't done anything yet (perhaps they knew about my disability application.)

It's going to be 20 years this summer since my 23-hour brain (tumor) surgery. I'm very thankful to be alive and functioning quite well. Never thought breast cancer would give me so much trouble - didn't realize that chemotherapy would affect my cognitive function more than the two brain surgeries I'd had.

But I'm a veteran fighter. And I will continue the fight. The late Father Robert Ronald had stated in his lecutres that "the life of a disabled person is even more meaningful than the life of a non-disabled person." I thank God that I had met him (in an English conversation class) and learned so much from him before I came to the States and before all of my ordeals.

He's the happiest, most humorous and pleasant person I've ever met. After he contracted polio in Taiwan, he went back to the States for treatment and rehabilitation. He then got a degree in rehabilitation from U of Arizona and returned to Taiwan to work as a vocational rehabilitation consultant in the VA Hospital. He continued to work with that radiant smile even after one of his legs had to be amputated knee down because of a car accident.

He called them the two gifts he'd got from Taiwan...

I'm calling my brain surgeries and breast cancer treatments my two blessings from the U.S...

Maybe I'll get a certification somewhere so I can teach Chinese. It's kind of a hot field right now because many high schools and colleges are looking for qualified teachers... It is my Mother tongue and I have a Chinese Literature 'minor' from National Taiwan University...

Never, never, never give up... (Winston Churchill?)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-11-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
pffida

Just so you all know that COBRA will only kick in if there is a minimum # of employees -- 20, I think. So, very small companies generally don't participate in it. Also, if you are working for a company that may not remain in business, COBRA is only available if the company still exists and has a health plan. I worked for a bank that failed and since the bank no longer existed after the failure, COBRA was gone -- even for those that were already participating in it! (They were offered FDIC health insurance, which was very expensive and not very comprehensive.)

If you work for a very small company, or a company that is at risk of survival, I vote for looking for something as soon as you can. If you work for a large or financially secure company, and can live on unemployment and pay for COBRA, then its not so important.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
naturaleigh

Have any of you ladies fought this disease without insurance? I have applied for disablity about a year ago and everything is at a stand still. I do not know where to turn next. I have taken one test which does show that I can no longer multi-task which is a major part of my current job. My neurologist says I failed really bad on other areas, but he is not telling me which areas.

I am at the point where I can not stay at my present job any longer and with my cognative issues, (my memory can not retain information anymore and I am forgeting how to do many things I used to do).
I am searching for a part-time job that is less demanding, but at this point, I don't know what kind of job I can get.

I don't understand the ins and outs of insurance. All I know it that as a single, low income person, I can not afford COBRA. Do you know if a person can qualify for mediciad if he/she does not have insurance? As soon as I get out of this job, I plan on applying for medicaid, but I have been told, I will be turned down, and you have to re-apply numerous times and a lawyer will have to eventually help you get it, but that is something I can not afford.
Has anyone ever been in the same insurance boat and can give me a heads up on what to do.

Thanks

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Jackie07

Anita,

I think Joe has a phone no. or name of a (non-profit?)legal counsel that handles disability claim. (Ad. on the home page?) We've found a local attorney who took my case pro bono. Because it takes about 2 years (at least) for the process, once it's approved, we can use a portion of the back payment to pay the attorney.

We haven't heard anything from our attorney or the court yet. Check out with your state 'risk pool' and check with the local social services. There might be something available at the local level.

I am the youngest of six. Both of my parents are still living. So I've been getting lots of 'foreign aid' from them. When my Mother-in-law was still alive, my In-law's were able to help out with our insurance payment whenever we were out of jobs and had to pay the full insurance amount by ourselves. Hubby and I had never been able to stay working at the same time. I've had four major surgeries and he's got a heart procedure done in 2002.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-13-2010 at 03:21 PM..