HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
pffida

Intense Itching

Since beginning my Taxol-Herceptin therapy, beginning with the second infusion, I've experienced periodic very intense itching inside either the hands or the feet. The itching starts about one week after treatment. On the second round, it only happened a couple of times. After the third treatment, its been almost daily, starting about a week after treatment.

I talked to the oncology nurse -- she's never heard of this. The only thing that stops it is taking benadryl, even if its been less than four hours since I took the last dose. I am having minor neuropathy (numb thumbs and three little toes in one foot) but nothing to complain about. The nurse thinks it might be a form of neuropathy.

I'll be seeing the oncologist for this tomorrow -- just wondering if any of you have experienced this? I'm not positive its the taxol, could it maybe be the herceptin? Or could it be the Neulasta that I'm now taking (didn't take with A-C).

I finally got smart last night and bought liquid benadryl, now the itching only lasts about 15 minutes instead of one hour.

Thanks.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Susan McQ

I had an itchy rash after I started Taxol. I was on it weekly though. I would talk to your Onc about. The reason they give you pre-med with taxol is that it could cause a reaction.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
MCS

Yes I did. true on benadryl and pre meds

I used Sarna Sensitive Anti Itch lotion. Available at drugstores, it's for eczema and dry skin and it worked for me. a bit more expensive than Neutrogena, etc but it works. It's about $8

Lots of love

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
tricia keegan

I also had it on my arms,my onc insisted it was'nt the drugs but I'm sure it was.I took an anti histamine and it worked,it finally stopped after a couple of weeks though so hope your's does too!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Karen Weixel

I did have a rash that itched on and off throughout my Taxol treatments. If I remember correctly, itching/rash is a side effect of Taxol.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
pffida

Thanks everyone. I saw the PA today at the oncologist's office. He hadn't heard of it before but will talk to the doctor. They might give me decadron for a couple of days after my next treatment. Thank heavens its my last treatment. Getting the liquid form of benadryl also helps tremendously, since the episodes are now only 15 minutes compared to one hour with the benadryl pills. I keep the liquid already measured out in a little bottle in my purse. I feel like I'm sneaking a drink!!
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
pffida

Had to stop taxol

I should have responded back in June to let you know the final outcome. when the PA discussed my itching with the oncologist, she immediately stopped the taxol since it was an allergic reaction I was having. It must be pretty rare, since neither the PA nor onc nurse had heard of it, but the oncologist had. So, I had three out of four taxol treatments and now am on herceptin.

Was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, so I'm going through lots of tests to see if its the Adriamycin and/or herceptin.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
weezie1053

I had intense itching in my stomach area, but it occurred several months after I stopped the Taxol, but while still on Herceptin. I was also taking Lyrica for the Neuropathy, and I quit taking that not knowing from where the itching was coming from. My Onc was stumped as well. Did you have a rash. I had intense itching in the mid section, but no rash. I am still on the Herceptin, and the itching did eventually go away.
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
pffida

No rash for me. Just itching from the inside -- I presume it was the nerves itching if that's possible.
ER/PR-, HER2+++