HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Snufi

Help, Herceptin weekly?

Hi to all, Had an appointment with the nurse today to go over chemo treatment scheduled for Wednesday. She tells me Dr. wants to give me TCH every 3 weeks but also herceptin every week for the next 18 weeks and then to complete a year. This is the first I eard of this. My dr. told me last week herceptin given every 3 weeks with chemo. The other 2 drs consultes with told me the same. Has any of you heard of Herceptin every week like this for Stage 2A. I told the nurse I wanted to stick with the every 3 weeks treatment and she said okay. why did she even bring up the herceptin weekly for the next 18 weeks? Am very confused.
Snufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
ninicruce

Hi, Snufi,
I had a 4 course of regular chemo, then a course of Herceptin with another drug every week for 2months or so. Then I began a year long course of every 3 weeks. I believe this is standard. This is my 2nd time for BC after a break of 15 years, so I am being extra agressive and have continued my Herceptin for over 2 years. There are very little side effects- they monitor my heart every 2 -3 months and the rate has stayed acceptable. This is a great drug. I had friends 15 years ago with HR2 and they did not make it and didn't get this drug.God bless,
Jeani
ninicruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Peggy

Every week

Hi,

I had herceptin weekly while I was having chemo and then switched to every three weeks after I completed the chemo. I think I was told my ONC thought it might be easier on my body and possibly more effective. I was also in a clinical trial and the weekly admission was part of the protocol. I asked to switch to the every three weeks after I completed chemo because I work and it was more convenient.

I had a complete pathological remission at surgery after the chemo...so for me, at least, it was a great choice to do weekly. However, I don't really think studies show any difference between the weekly and three week cycles.

I know it is stressful to think you have a plan and then find there are other ways...but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
pffida

I started out with it every 3 weeks. When I developed cardiomyopathy, I took a herceptin holiday for six weeks. Then I started back with weekly treatments with no further problems.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
freyja

I also had Herceptin weekly during TCH, and switched to every 3 weeks after. My onc told me he thought it was fine to do it every 3 weeks, but weekly was the way it's been done for a long time so they just keep doing it that way, so I think either way is totally fine...don't worry about a thing.

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Cannon

I had mine given weekly - my dr. said that his anecdotal experience suggested it was better. I took every opportunity to give myself any advantage in my treatment.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
atdec05

I had Herceptin weekly for the 1st 6 months, then my doctor was less strict and let me do a 3-week dosage around the holidays and for me to do a summer trip.

When I did Taxol for a recurrence I had Herceptin weekly with it.

I think the weekly was slightly easier. I definitely felt more flu-like symptoms when I did the 3-week dosage, but it didn't last too long and it was convenient.

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Sherryg683

I did taxotere, xeloda, and herceptin together. The taxotere was given every 3 weeks, I did herceptin weekly. My oncologist told me that personally, he favored the weekly doses. After I finished chemo, I continued to do herceptin weekly for 2 years. After the second year, I got tired of going to the clinic every week, so we swiched it to every 3 weeks. I have always had side effects with herceptin and it is harder physically on me to do it every 3 weeks but emotionally it is better. You are basically getting the same treatment, it's just with the 3 week dose you get triple the amount, this is what most people do. Having done them both, the weekly dose was easier to tolerate. I am adjusting to the 3 week doses and have them drip it a little slower to help with the side effects, terrible headaches and sinus issues and fatigue...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
schoolteacher

I also did Herceptin weekly for six months. I think it was easier on my body than when the dose was increased to every three weeks.

I have been taking the Herceptin for three weeks for five months now. I start my sixth month of Herceptin tomorrow.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
harrie

Snufi,
I had TCH every 3 wks, 6 times. During the TCH, I was given herceptin every wk. After the TC was done, I did the herceptin weekly until it made one yr. I had minimal if any side effects from the herceptin.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote