HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
bejuce

Question Swollen armpit lymph node during chemo??

Hi everyone,

The first evidence I had BC was a 2.5 cm benign-looking (under ultrasound), swollen lymph node I found under my arm.

Fast-track to today, when I'm in the middle of neoadjuvant chemo before going in for surgery. My swollen lymph node has reduced in size considerably but I can still feel it.

So my question is - knowing that this lymph node was found to be positive (FNA biopsy before treatment), does the fact that I can still feel it implies that it is still positive? What are the chances that it may still be felt but have no more cancer by the time I go into surgery? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!!!

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Becky

Don't keep rubbing it - promise me. You can make it irritated or infected and it won't go down. Of course it is human nature to keep touching. Promise yourself you will check it only once a week. It is almost like going on a diet - you are better off weighing yourself once a week where at least you will show a small drop in weight.

It will work. It is working. It may not go down to nothing since there are dead cancer cells in there (as you will see when it is removed during your surgery). You'll feel the difference if you give it a week or two because your fingers won't be able to tell a minute difference so you need it to add up to something you can tell (like weighing yourself - the scale can't see the ounces but when you reach a pound it can).

Keep the faith. Your scans have already seen the results and that will continue.

Hugs,

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote