HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
SoCalGal

Flori blabs, this-that-the other...

Hello everyone, and a belated happy mother's day to all those mamas...

I finished radiation two weeks ago. It left me pretty darn pooped out. But still and all, not feeling horrible, just very, very tired. My neck started up again, during rads. I really think my initial "ridiculopathy" or whatever he said, started when I had that radiation in '06. Anyhow - I've been dramatically limiting my computer as much as possible since that clearly aggravates the pain.

Meanwhile, some good news: EXPRESSIONS OF HOPE & HEALING (my concept/workshop for all interested cancer survivors, through Cedars-Sinai's newly created Survivorship Programing), has a green light and a start date, (June 19th - yikes) so I will jump in and hopefully do some good. I've been working on this for two years and finally, I'm almost there!

And then some weird news - I had a random high (102 !) fever/flu thing this past weekend. They did blood/urine today at the Onc and said my sodium is very low! Of course I'm freaking out, because, please don't laugh - cancer aside, I think of myself as healthy. Nuts but true. Now I have to go in tomorrow for a two-hour sodium infusion. I don't get it. To me it didn't sound so low (127) but normal starts at 135. Where did all my salt go? I am the marshmellow and potatoe chip queen.

And now an interesting Flori-tidbit:
On Friday, May 15th, wrapped in my daughter's tallit (prayer shawl) I will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah! I've been studying with a group of adults and our clergy for the past 6 months. Friday night is the big night. My kids and family and friends will be there and I am looking forward to this moving and meaningful night.
I am more than a little chicken to chant my Torah portion, but luckily we are a big group so everyone has just a small part. I feel like I am trying my best to not just survive, but to also thrive. At least to the best of my ability which seems to change at the drop of a hat.

I have missed my board and all of you very much. Thanks for the PM's and words of concern and love. Sending hugs, love, hope and prayers to all,
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Henny

Mazel Tov Flori!
I know you will do great. What an accomplishment. I'm sure your family is so proud of you.

Henny
A/C, Taxol, Herceptin
Bilateral mastectomies with recon
Zometa 2/yr for 3 yrs- finished 8/2011
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Joan M

Flori,

Great to hear that you're feeling good and that your project at Cedar's Sinai is finally getting off the ground after some delays. And Mazel Tov on the Bat Mizvah celebration and doing your part.

Joan

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Flori blabs, this-that-the other...

Congratulations on your Bat Mitzvah. It is a wonderful accomplishment !!
It sure is a mystery where salt goes. I guess we loose a bit everytime we visit the restroom and we loose some through our skin in hot weather. Everybody's body is a bit different even though we all have the same basic parts and our bodies are supposed to operate in the same way.
My salt has been what is considered a little below normal my whole life. It was 127 last week. At first my current doc worried about it, but he stopped worrying about that when I developed high blood pressure even though my salt is still a bit low. He did tell me that we can have a seizure or pass out if it gets very low, so I guess that is why docs get concerned about it.
I don't even like salty food. I wonder if you will get very thirsty after the salt infusion like I get very thirsty if I eat salty food?
Be sure to rest up after all that radiation before going back to the Ceders of Sinai project. Take good care of yourself.
Enjoy Friday !!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Jackie07

Flori,

Mazel Tov on the Bat Mizvah celebration!

(I am pretending that I know what it is - will consult my bridesmaid and her professor husband who had their orthodox wedding 15 years ago)

Now perhaps you can link the salt ordeal to the 'crossing the red sea'? Don't worry, we all might need to be wondering in this breast cancer wilderness for a while. But 'promised land' we shall find!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-12-2009 at 01:49 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

So amazing, you are, Flori! I know that both special occasions will be just wonderful with you there! How exciting! Best wishes for two very special days! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Missyw

Mazel Tov Flori,

What an amazing accomplishment! We just celebrated my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in October and it was one of my happiest days ever. I know your family will be filled with pride witnessing you read from the Torah. To Life!!

Missy

Diagnosed 1/06; Her-2, er/pr+
lumpectomy
4 Rounds A/C
tiny area of interest in liver - watching
12 rounds of Taxol w/ Herceptin
tiny area cleared - Stage IV (because area responded to chemo)
Herceptin weekly
27 rounds radiation
NED 8/06
10/06 oopherectomy
Arimidex
1/07-7/07 Vaccine Trial - UW Seattle
3/09 liver met back
3/09 Navelbine, Herceptin Aromasin
6/09 Liver Resection
Missyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
caya

Mazel Tov Flori on your Bat Mitzvah - I'm sure you will do great chanting your Torah portion.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
WomanofSteel

Mazel Tov Flori. I am sure all will be fine as you chant your portion. I hope you continue to heal and feel better daily.
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Oh flori, you are aglow!

DEAREST SWEET FLORI,

What a Woman! Look what you created at Cedar's to touch the lives of so many Warrior Survivors! As you give, so will you reap. Your generosity of Spirit and creativity are a blessing to all.

I am so proud of your accomplishment in becoming a Bat Mitzvah! Look where you are on your Life's journey! Wiser, stronger, deeper, ever reaching for new heights full of wonder and joy.

Your life has special meaning to you and to all who will bear witness. I will be with you Friday night, from down South and across the country, but with you nonetheless... You are a unique and wonderful young woman. May your future be blessed with good health, good fortune and happiness.

In canserland, we can take one of two paths. We can have a breakthrough, or we can have a breakdown. You are full of all the right choices, Flori. Your Spirit guides you and grants you grace and fortitude extraordinaire! I just love the power of your thoughts and acts. I love you. "Yasha koach". May you go from strength to strength... What a time of jubilation!

I am certain you will continue to be a force, full of vigor and might, growing, evolving as we are all meant to do with each new day. Shabbat Shalom, Flori! It is an honor to know you.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote