HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #1
News

Recommended intake of vitamin D miscalculated by IOM, experts say

Researchers at UC San Diego and Creighton University have challenged the intake of vitamin D recommended by the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine, stating that their Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin D underestimates the need by a factor of ten.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Dakini52

Re: Recommended intake of vitamin D miscalculated by IOM, experts say

Very interesting information. I currently take 2000 IU and thought that would be plenty.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Re: Recommended intake of vitamin D miscalculated by IOM, experts say

I tended to take it more conservatively at 1,000 originally, but for several years now have been doing 2,000 and even with 2,000 my labs don't get me out of the mid- to high 30's. I hate to even think how low it must have been back when I was diagnosed, since I was only taking a multivitamin and they usually only included 400 until more recently.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote