HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
preston45

Male Breast Cancer

I am a male who has breast cancer. I was diagnosed in January, 2005. Had a mastectomy in Feb and completed chemo in July. In August I started the Herceptin treatments which are every 3 weeks for a year.

Are there any men out there who have breast cancer?

Preston
preston45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
RhondaH

Smile Welcome!

To my knowledge there are no male breast cancer survivors on this site, BUT there are many supportive and knowledgeable husbands and sons. I'm sure you will find this site to be a great source of support.

Rhonda Hoffman

DX 2/1/05, Stage 1, Grade 3, No nodes, ER/PR-, HER2+, partial mastectomy 2/7/05, finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC 5/18/05, finished 33 rads 8/1/05, started every 3 week Herceptin 8/18/05
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
preston45

male breast cancer

Are there any other sites out there that my have men on them . I feel so alone this .
Old 12-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #4
janet/FL

Preston
You might try the link below. It says there are 44 members but it isn't a very active group. Perhaps, itf they aren't a support group, they will have some suggestions for a support group. Good luck and I will keep looking too as it is bad enough to have breast cancer without any men to share it with. You will find some wonderful men on our her2 site that you maybe able to relate to.
It seems you have gotten really good, aggressive treatment.

Janet
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...breast-cancer/
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Unregistered

Preston,

There is a male breast cancer thread on the breastcancer.org support group. Google in, breast cancer forum and the group should be listed there.

Also, this morning, I noticed in the, 'dear abby' column there was a woman who wrote in to say her husband had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and how it is overlooked by doctors because men do not typically get breast cancer.

I sure hope you find the support you are looking for. You might try calling your local American Cancer Society and see if they have any breast cancer support groups for men. And, as it was mentioned in this thread, you will always find support here.

Take care
Old 12-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Unregistered

Preston,

There is a male breast cancer thread on the breastcancer.org support group. Google in, breast cancer forum and the group should be listed there.

I sure hope you find the support you are looking for. You might try calling your local American Cancer Society and see if they have any breast cancer support groups for men. And, as it was mentioned in this thread, you will always find support here.

Take care
Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Merridith

Hi Preston:

Welcome to our site.

When I was first diagnosed with HER2 cancer 2 years ago, I spent a lot of time hunting for information and peer support specific to this form of breast cancer. This site was by far the most informative and active.

You are the first male with breast cancer post on this site that I have ever seen. Don't feel alone. We all have this dreaded disease in common and are willing and able to support and encourage you.

HER2 effects only about 20-25% of female breast cancers. Do you know if the ratio is the same for male breast cancers? If so, it might be very difficult for you to find a worthwhile site simply because there would be a lack of numbers.

Take care & good luck,
Merridith

PS: My grandfather had breast cancer (and a mastecomy!) back in the 40's. He died a few years ago at 98 years old. And there's been plenty of ammunition added to the arsenaul since then!
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Merridith

Oh Preston - I forgot. If you post in the regular forum - her2group - where most people read, you will get a lot more response to your posts.

Merridith
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
Joe
Webmaster

Sorry fo the delay

Preston,
We just returned this evening (Sunday) from the San Antonio Brest Cancer Symposium and quite honestly ws surprised to see your post as male bc with HER2+ ws discused on the exhibit floor between us and other advocacy groups.

Unfortunately your numbers are very few, but that doesn't mean that you are not welcome here. Although I am not an oncologists, I am certain that the rules that apply to the women on this website also apply to you. We do have several men on this site but in a caregiver capacity.

Feel free to join our activities, the women here are too intelligent and sophisticated to be inhibited by having men in their ranks.

If in the future you are successful in your search for others and decide to remain on this website, I can launch a seperate area for your group to meet. You would also have the benefits of sharing the enourmous amount of knowledge and infromation available on this site as well as access to our medical experts who support our endeavors.

Warmest Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
Gina

Preston...please stay with us..smile...

I have had her-2 mediated breast cancer (with mets) for over 8 years and this site is BY FAR...the best place you could be..smile...

Sounds like the treatment you are currently undergoing is state of the art...you might want to add some olive oil to your daily regimen and plenty of magnesium, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin D as in fish or shark oil....lots of the folks here use flax seed and recommend it...you will just find so many well-informed people who care here that you will soon feel like you have known us all your life..smile..best wishes, Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
saleboat

Preston-- we want you!!!

Preston-- I can only imagine what it is like to have to face this disease feeling alone. I too have felt a little different than the majority of those facing breast cancer as I am 'young,' at least for this disease (35). I hope you know that you're welcome here, and that there is a great deal of information and support on this site.

Here's a link to a story on a male survivor of bc-- just thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/02/22...breast.cancer/

Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Joe
Webmaster

Preston,

Here is a good start:

http://www.nursezone.com/Stories/Spo...rticleID=13043

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Bob

Male Breast Cancer

Hi Preston -

I'm another guy with breast cancer. I was diagnosed in 1996, had a modified radical mastectomy and then chemo. (I wasn't tested for her2 back then). I've done well since my treatment and, in fact, have worked for the Ithaca Breast Cancer Alliance -- a local breast cancer support organization -- for more than 5 years.

I've pulled together a few links on male breast cancer on our website:
http://www.ibca.net/online_resources...ncer_sites.php

Know that you aren't alone.

Bob Riter
Ithaca, NY
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
StephN

Wink Yes - another group for men

Hello Preston -
I have just returned from San Antonio (along with Joe and Christine) and there was a booth on the exhibit floor with two men representing the John Nick Foundation.
Here is the link: http://www.johnwnickfoundation.org/index.html

There was a lot of interest in this booth as one of the men is a breast cancer survivor himself and turns out he lives in my area! There was a poster of him with his mastectomy scar hanging on the curtain behind his booth. He was literally letting it all hang out - and it was great to see him so open about his problem.

FYI - the father of my radiation oncologist had breast cancer, but died from complications of prostate cancer many years after his breast cancer treatment.

Hope all these suggestions will help - but we welcome you here with any questions/problems as they may actually be quite similar in both sexes.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 AM   #15
preston45

thanks

Thank you all for the help ,things are going well for me and I feel very well now .
There are just days I want to know more about this thing that has changed my life ,and I feel like it has changed forever . I have a family history of cancer and
have lost a lot of family to cancer ,but thanks for all the help .