HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
ANelson

Started TDM1 clinical trial in Nashville

Hey ladies
I just began a clinical trial for TDM1 in Nashville and had my first infusion on Sept 18. It has been two days of flu like symptoms and severe migraine headaches subsiding finally on Monday September 24 with the help of 2mg of steroids, which I reduced to 1 mg yesterday and didn't rake any today. Has anyone been told to take steroids? They really do a number on me with swelling me up and i have difficulty keeping still, that is why I am so cautious in the amount I take. They have seen an increase in my liver enzymes as well based on the labs that were completed yesterday. What other experiences have you all had on TDM1? Any suggestions? I am hoping this will be the answer to my prayers. Thanks in advance for your time.

Angie
April 2012 stopped Abraxaine, Herceptin only every three weeks. (liver and breast tumors shrank considerably but not NED)
June 2012 CT scan showed enlarged axillary lymph node not responding. Biopsy of node revealed same cancer. Surgeon recommended breast MRI. MRI revealed new area in left breast 6mm. Breast biopsy revealed same cancer. Surgeon not sure if we should do surgery.
7/29/12 CT scan to see if spreading anywhere else. Awaiting results to determine plan of care. Will meet with oncologist 8/7/12
8/7/12 no progression in liver. No evidence of disease anywhere else. Dr recommending TDM1 trial in Nashville. Waiting.
9/18/12 Began TDM1 in Nashville. Hopeful!!
ANelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Lori R

Re: Started TDM1 clinical trial in Nashville

Hi Angie,
I am glad you were able to get into a TDM-1 trial and receive a chance to use this drug.
I too joined a trial involving Taxol + TDM-1 so at times I am not 100% certain which drug is driving the side effects. I receive Taxol weekly and the TDM-1 once every 3 weeks. The first TDM-1 treatment resulted in a similar flu like response. Chills, headache, nausea. But mine only lasted 1 day. (thank goodness...it was rough going)

When speaking with my Dr. prior to my 2nd treatment he prescribed steroids. 4 MG on friday night, 4 MG on saturday morning. I HATE taking unnecessary drugs, so based on my first experience, I skipped the friday night dose and did fine. I did take the full 4 MG on Saturday and did feel much better on Sunday as compared to the first treatment. For my 3rd treatment, I will probably bump back the Saturday dose to 2 mg.

Thank you for posting as you reaffirmed my gut instinct that I didn't need all the steroids prescribed.

There is another lengthy string titled TDM-1 Side Effects. I hope you can find it as it contains a lot of valuable information from many others.

Best of luck and here is hoping for TDM-1 miracles all around!!! Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote