HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
KGuerrero

Young survivor

July 2nd of 2000 I gave birth to my second child, after a normal uneventful pregnancy. I breast fed for two months after which my breast size went back to normal (the suckers were huge my whole pregnancy) except for a golf ball sized lump in my right breast. Thinking it was a clogged milk duct, or something to do with breast feeding, I shrugged it off and went about my life. October rolled around and along with it Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I had just turned thirty and decided I'd better take this lump a little more seriously. I went to my Ob and she diagnosed it as a cyst. She told me to come back in 6 weeks if the mass hadn't shrunk or gone away completly. Six weeks later I was back in her office and she immediatley sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound. This is when I first heard the words "suspicous mass". And this is when I got the first inkling that something was really wrong. The mammogram was done first and sent into the radiologist while I went to the ultrasound department. Midway through the ultrasound, the radiologist came into the room and took over the exam himself. I know now that he knew exactly what he was looking at, but couldn't tell me without getting pathology first. So off to the surgeon I went to get a biopsy. I got the results on December 20th, 2000. My son had just turned 3, my daughter was 5 months old. I am fortunate to live in a state with an excellent cancer center which is where I went for surgery: bilateral mastectomies. Surgeons removed a 5.5 cm tumor, along with 14 positive lymph nodes. My cancer was 85%ER+, 95%PR+ and Her2+, Stage III infiltrating ductal carcinoma. Surgery was followed by four rounds of AC, which really was not that bad. Chemo never made me sick, just very tired. I shaved my head in anticipation of losing my hair, and had to keep shaving it as the hair only fell out in some places. After chemo came radiation, again, I just got very tired. I've been on Tamoxifen for 5 years now, and am now faced with the uncertainty of what to do for continuing treatment. One of the first things I did after being diagnosed was forbid any of my doctors to quote statistics to me. I am not a number, I told them, I am a person. And I didn't care what anyone said, I was living to raise my children. My intial diagnosis was pretty grim as far as 5 year survival goes, but there are always people who beat the odds and that was going to be me. So far, so good. Kathie Guerrero
KGuerrero is offline   Reply With Quote