HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
derbygrrl

When to test for tumor markers

I was diagnosed with extensive DCIS (over 7cm) in April 2014. The pathology showed grade 3, comedo, highly differentiated and other aggressive characteristics. After a bilateral mastectomy they found a small IDC And I tested HER2 positive with 0/3 nodes positive. I received 12 weeks of Taxol and am in the process of getting Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. Now that the surgeries are behind me and I am back to work, I am finding that the what-ifs are starting to scare me. One of the things worrying me is that the original microcalcifications were found 2 years before I followed up with another mammogram where it had spread into another quadrant and grown to over 7cm. My mother was diagnosed with a small IDC 6 years ago with 0 nodes positive. She had a lumpectomy and chemo and rads then they accidentally discovered liver mets and she died a year later. I did have the BRCA testing because of my family history and young age (37 at dx) and they did not find anything in the genetic testing. It scares me that she was node negative with mets. I asked my onc how I would know if I had a recurrence and he said just let him know of any symptoms I have - that if it metastasized it wouldn't really matter when they found it. He has never tested tumor markers or performed any scans. I am wondering if this is something I should ask for or just wait and see like he recommends. He claims tumor marker testing is unreliable. What are your thoughts or experiences in this area?
derbygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Lucy

Re: When to test for tumor markers

I would ask about the testing, worse thing he could do is say no. Maybe if you express your concerns and why you'd like the testing done, he would do it. I recently had some blood work done that showed some elevations that could be problematic. Initially I was told it was the result of a supplement I was taking (which everyone - myself included - still thinks and I hope is accurate). My PCP told me to cut back on the supplement. The doctor that ordered the tests said I should cut back on the supplement. When I told my oncologist, she said that I should follow up with whoever prescribed the supplement and/or whoever ran the test. I responded that down the line I didn't want there to be an issue because everyone thought it was a supplement issue and/or that it was someone else's problem to follow up on. I'm now scheduled for scans next week - ordered by my oncologist. Bottom line is you have to be your own best advocate in these matters. There's a lot to be said for the peace of mind of knowing. I hope he'll do the tests for you. Let us know how things go. Sending cyber hugs to you.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
jaykay

Don't they do bloodwork (including tumor markers) every 3 months along with an echo during the time you're still on Herceptin? Honestly, it blows me away how inconsistent all the follow up is globally.

I finished chemo in March 2013 and Herceptin in October 2013. I still go to my Onc evey 3 months for bloodwork, exam and tumor marker (ca15-3). She will probably move me to 4 months soon. I have had cancer twice, though

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
Jackie07

I've seen/read several long-time stage IV sisters reporting in their signatures/postings changes of their tumor marker(s). A few would emphasize that their tumor marker had been very reliable. A lot of doctors take the same view as your doctor that it's not yet a tool for monitoring tumor progression. Below is the abstract of a recent article on the subject:

Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2015;7(1):4-21.
Targeted pathways in breast cancer: molecular and protein markers guiding therapeutic decisions.
Kourea HP, Zolota V, Scopa CD1.
Author information
Abstract
Breast carcinoma is currently considered as a group of diseases, differing not only in histopathologic phenotype, as indicated by histologic type and grade, but also in their protein, genetic and epigenetic molecular profile. The standard of care indicates that the core information for patient management includes data on Estrogen Receptor (ER), Progesterone Receptor (PgR) and Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 (HER2), while there is an emerging role for the proliferation marker Ki67. These indices can be provided even in low resource settings and are indispensable for prognostication and therapeutic patient management. With the progress in molecular and translational research, there is a growing body of information on the molecular subtypes of breast carcinoma and their significance, and multigene signature assays are used to dictate prognosis and guide therapeutics in high resource settings. In addition, several cellular pathways involved in tumor growth and spread are dissected and targeted in clinical trials. Among these are the p53, RB, PI3K/Akt/mTOR and Ras/MAPK pathways, alterations associated with genetic instability and epigenetic alterations including histone methylation and acetylation, DNA methylation and microRNAs expression. The tumor immune microenvironment, including the tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) is attracting significant research interest. This review summarizes the mechanisms of function of the above factors in breast tumorigenesis with emphasis on their prognostic and predictive value and their use as therapeutic targets.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-07-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
KathyT

My oncologist goes by my symptoms as well. I just finished my last Herceptin treatment this week and I had an appt with him. I asked about drawing tumor markers and he doesn't typically draw them because he feels they can fluctuate and give people more anxiety than needed. He was open to ordering them though if I insisted but I don't want the added anxiety and if they are controversial I am fine with not having them drawn(I do get CBC and Chemistry panel regularly though). I had not have an ultrasound, MRI or Pet Scan since this whole thing started January 2014, so I insisted that he order me a pet scan being it was my last treatment of Herceptin and I want peace of mind that everything is good! He wouldn't have ordered it for me if I hadn't asked for it. I agree you need to be your own advocate and maybe it's as simple as asking. If your MO refuses to order anything for you and you are not ok with that I suggest you find another onc that will work with you more. Best of luck!
Kathy

January 17th 2014-mammo, ultrasound, biopsy
January 20th 2014- diagnosed, ER/PR+, Her2+++, Stage 2A
January 21st 2014-MRI, right breast only plus lymph nodes
January 23rd 2014- Pet scan-2 cm tumor, 3 lymph nodes
February 4th 2014-port insertion
February 12th 2014-first chemo treatment(TCHP x6 cycles)
May 28th 2014-LAST chemo treatment!!
July 10th 2014-double mastectomy
July 29th 2014-start radiation(30)
Sept. 11th 2014last radiation treatment!!!
November 12 2014-started Tamoxifen
January 20 2015-reconstruction begins, lat flap
February 4 2015-last Herceptin treatment!!
April 24, 2015- pet scan-NED!!
June 3 2015- exchange surgery, port removed!!
September 8 2015-hysterectomy/oophorectomy
September 15 2015-Revision of lat flap reconstruction
December 23 2015-nipple reconstruction
May 9th 2016-Mets to pituitary gland, liver and C7 vertebrae
May 10th-port put back in:(
May 17th- biopsy of mass on back
May 19th-started Herceptin/Perjeta
May 20th-5 treatments Cyberknife to pituitary gland tumor
June 9th-Started THP (will have 6 cycles)
August 17th-MRI of brain, significant reduction in tumor
😃, repeat MRI in 3 months. Received first Zometa
infusion.
June 24th 2019- Thoracic spine Mets, leptomeningeal Mets , 10 radiation treatments
Aug 1st- Ommaya Reservoir implanted
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
JessicaV

Hi,
I recently asked my oncologist for C15-3 testing, and she agreed to do it. I told her first that I know it gives quite a few false negs by missing local mets and some distant ones too, and false positives because BC is not the only cause of a rise in level. She said she has a small group who have the test done every six months.
But she asked me to promise to tell her honestly if I ever find it makes me more anxious to have the tests and to wait for the results. I gather this high test-anxiety is a big part of why they do not regularly do more tests after herceptin year finishes. I also gather that the protocol for post-treatment testing has been set so low is because of this anxiety and because 80% of cancer patients do not have HER2positive cancer, so do not have up to 50% chance that their mets will include brain mets which need to be found asap. Other BC mets (I am told)are generally treated with chemo or hormone treatments and size at diagnosis is less of an issue.
Also with non-HER2pos cancer, mets are less likely and are also not concentrated into mostly happening in the first 3-5 years post surgery, so could happen any time. So monitoring is less needed, but they are the bulk of BC patients, so general BC protocols are more likely to be established with them in mind.

My advice is to read up about C15-3 and other markers, and go to see your oncologist ready to discuss why this is a good idea for you. Best wishes.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
derbygrrl

Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspectives! I had to call my onc's office anyway this morning, so I asked if they would be willing to test tumor markers or do a scan to give me some peace of mind. He is out of the office today but I expect to hear back this week. My next appt is early March. I am even more concerned about mets now as my latest echo came back borderline normal so I'm hoping I will be able to continue with the full year of Herceptin.

Anyway, thanks again! I am so grateful to have this support group!
derbygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Becky

I am over 10 years out and still get the 29/27 tumor marker done. I go every 6 months. Its just the way my onc's practice is.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote