HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Lisa

Hey, friends. I made it another year. Just celebrated birthday no. 47. And I did something that made me feel great! Mel and I walked into our local diner where we eat breakfast every weekend. There were only about 5 or 6 tables full. I stood up and said, "May I have your attention? I'm fighting cancer and today's my birthday. I'm just so happy to be here, that breakfast for everyone is on me!" The entire bill including tip was under $100. We met some great locals. And I felt like I'd made other people happy. I had Mel commit that every year on my birthday, whether I'm here or not, he would do this same thing.

I tell you this NOT to pat myself on the back. Just to share with you what a blast it was and to highly recommend it (make sure the place isn't packed, unless you're wealthier than me.)

Enjoy the new Spring! My tulips and crocuses are blooming. Beautiful.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Cindy H.

You go girl!!!!! What a great thing to do.....Happy Birthday and many, many, many more.
Cindy
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
eric

Lisa,

You're amazing. In the short time I've been part of this board, you've found a special my heart. I plan on reading your notes for MANY years to come and I pray that diner and it's patrons get to celebrate with you and Mel until your old and grey!

Love,
Eric
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
*_joy_*

LISA YOU ROCK! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY and THANK YOU for sharing that story. To echo Eric-you are amazing and I am always uplifted by you. I feel so blessed to know of you and to be able to communicate to you. And I'm glad that we will be able to do that for a long time!
LOVE, joy
Old 03-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
rosie

WOW!!!! As I sit here feeling sorry for myself, reading your post, I am inspired to get my butt out of bed and get going. What a terrific, happy, thing to do!

Many many happy birthdays! You deserve all the best!!!!

Hugs,
Rosie
Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
triciak

Lisa, What a wonderful thing to do! You inspire me again! Happy, happy birthday and many more to come---God bless you! Tricia
Old 03-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
*_anne_*

Happy Birthday
Hope that God blesses you with many more. Thanks for holding my hand a couple of weeks ago. We are waiting on my mom's MRI results but feel like things are OK for now. Keep on smiling and treating breakfasts. XOXO Anne
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Sandy H.

That is so wonderful that you are still here and what a great idea!! It never ends the things we think to do!!! Wishing for you to see many more. Sending you a big HUG, Sandy
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
AnDS

Happy Birthday! May God bless you with many more healthy birthdays.

Anna
Old 03-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Lolly

Lisa, you just committed a Random Act of Happiness! What a great way to celebrate another year of life and love. If you don't mind, I'll finish the song you're quoting.....

Saint Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go,

I owe my soul to the company store....(or local diner!!!!)

<3 and many happy returns,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
wlward

Dear Lisa
Happy Birthday. What a wonderful way to celebrate life and to remind others of it as well.
love
lindaw
Old 03-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #12
Audrey

Happy Birthday Lisa! What a wonderful way to celebrate your special day--I may copy your generous gesture when I turn 40 in June-- don't you just love getting older now? What are your plans for 50? (Dream big!)--thanks for the day-brightener and best wishes for a wonderful year. Love, Audrey
Old 03-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
lolam

So nice to celebrate these birthdays nowadays isn't it/?? What a nice way to celebrate your joy with others.
I am hoping that you will be able to keep this tradition going yourself for years to come.
God bless, Lola
Old 03-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
StephN

Hi - and a BIG Congratulations to you.
Lolly stole my line - I was going to call it a Random Act of Goodness - and it WAS a very good thing you did for all concerned. A little consciousness raising for those diners and some of us as well!

As long as we have things to do and can reach out to other people in some way, it does help to keep us going. I am never short of such activities myself.
Hubby and I are off soon to give a talk on my hubby's recent trip to Viet Nam to the local Alliance Francaise group, so I had better find something to wear with my silk robe!

So, how goes it with the latest mets? What are you taking for them/it now??

Birthday {{{hugs}}} and best wishes for LESS chemo in the coming year.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Rozebud

Have a super 47th year...and 48th year....and 49th year....etc....
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #16
Lyn

Happy Birthday to you, another year the world has been graced with your presence, and in this case your present of breakfast. When anyone asks what I want for my birthday, I say buy me a clock! that way you are buying me time, haven't got one yet they tell me I don't need anymore I will be around for a life time, hope they are right, but I will still say a CLOCK!!!! I am in credit anyway, couldn't decide which watch I liked last time so Ibought 4, not expensive but different. My daughters CANTEEN package came yesterday, that is an organisation over here raising money for kids with cancer and their family and friends so they can go on outings, and inside was a BLUE CLOCK!! if you slap it, it tells you the time, these clocks were donated and they raised $300,000 dollars for the kids. (blue is my dauhters favourite colour and she doesn't have one in her bedroom already) I wonder if they know the buying time theory.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #17
*_Annemarie_*

I love your spirit! Happy Birthday!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #18
al from canada

Just so everyone knows, this is not Lisa's first random act of kindness. When we first started posting on the Board, Lisa sent Linda (my wife) a whole box of Sandi-shakes, along with a beautiful card with a medalion on it. This was at Linda's lowest point when she had reached the same weight as she was when she was 14 years old.
Lisa, you didn't know us from the dog down the street! For that, you will always be in our hearts! We love you and wish you many, many more bithdays because it would be an empty place without you!!!
However, you have to stop embarrassing Mel.
Love as always,
Al and Linda
Old 03-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #19
Sheila

Lisa
What a wonderful way to celebrate by giving to others....that is why you and all the others on this board are so important...we all constantly give to each other....and need each other. Your spirit enlightens me!

Happy 47th and many more

hugs
Sheila
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #20
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

Lisa -

What an absolutely wonderful and fullfilling thing to do. I am sure that made you feel so great. There is something about bringing a smile to someone else' face that makes a person feel so good.

Happy belated birthday and thanks for sharing your story with us. It brought a big smile to my face -

Irene