HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
LynnC

help-rash on hands

I'm on Herceptin and Taxol, 9th week. Have a itchy rash on the back of my hands. Dr. says it isn't from the chemo, would be all over skin if it was. But have never had this before the chemo. I have tried using Hydrocotisone cream 2.5%, Desitin for diaper rash, and Aloe Vera gel. Has anyone else had a rash like this from Herceptin or Taxol and what did you use to help it. Thanks
LynnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Adriana Mangus

rash on hands

I'm not sure, but stop using harsh detergents, wear plastic gloves if you need to do dishes-someone else should be doing dishes, cleaning etc.-for you, at least until you are off chemo. Good luck. Take care. Adriana
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Unregistered

When I was on Taxol I got a rash on the back of my hands and arms.

Karen
Old 06-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Kimberly Lewis

Hi Lynn, I got a rash from my neck to my thighs, small red bumps and was in real pain from severe body aches. I had to stop the taxol.
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Lauriemn

I also got a rash on my hands. I went to my gp who told me it was ezcema. She gave me a cream called triamcinolone acetonide, which I think is a steroid cream. It cleared it up within a week and I never had it again.

Laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
kim

I had a horrible rash on my hands and feet from the taxol that did not spread to the rest of my body. I found soaking in Aveeno oatmeal bath helped the most, followed by hydrocortisone. Hope this helps.
Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
al from Canada

A couple of suggestions: try a strong anti-histamine like benedryl, multiple doses over time; get you liver function checked and don't rule-out auto-immune reactions. Taxol is a brutal med, I don't care what they say and the joint and bone ached may never go away; it's one the they main reasons why BC survivors are still on pain meds.

Al
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Shell

Along with the other excellent suggestions, watch your sun exposure...

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
marymary

Rash on my hands too

I'm only on Herceptin and I get a bumpy rash that comes and only partly goes. It's an unusual thing in that it usually presents on my right index finger. It can be itchy. Sometimes it also appears on the inside of my right arm and sometimes on the top of my arm.

I have written it off to my perpetual allergies, one doctor thought perhaps the Herceptin was sensitizing my immune system. Benadryl does help but I hate taking Benadryl so I usually don't. I also have to use more cream on my hands because they tend to be drier than before. Olive oil is good since it's something I'm not allergic to. Also at times I use a cortisone cream.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
judy

Rash on hands and arm

When I was partially through Taxol (12 weekly rounds), I developed itchy, scaly outbreaks first on the backs of my hands and then spreading up my forearms. The skin between my knuckles became thick -- I called it "alligator skin." Nothing helped and my onc wanted to stop Taxol. I was determined to get every ounce of that stuff I needed, so I said "no."

Coincidentally, my daughter saw a piece on the news on our local NBC affiliate in Los Angeles. It was on a product called "Lindiskin" which had been developed specifically for chemo patients. This was not an infomercial, it was a news story. I looked it up on the internet & ordered both the body lotion & the lip balm. It helped me tremendously. When my hands & arms recovered, I gave the remainder to another chemo buddy. It helped her, too. By the way, I thought I would probably be left with "alligator skin" but I'm fully back to normal.

The web address is: lindiskin.net

Good luck

Judy
judy is offline   Reply With Quote