HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #41
Ellie F

Re: Port Placement

Lisa- how does it look now the strips are off!

Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
patz64

Hi Bonnie, Nancy, Lisa, and Tricia,

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful.
As for my port...it only hurts a tiny bit now if I move a certain way...usually at night, turning in bed...it pokes me, but no longer a stabbing pain. I was able to go for a nice bike ride yesterday, and it didn't hurt at all...my first bike ride since my surgery! A beautiful day! Today i did the Making Strides for Cancer 3 mile walk...another great day!
As for hair loss: 2 of my friends who have already been through chemo have offered to lend me their scarves. I'm going wig shopping next saturday. Nancy, I think it was you who said you were afraid to wear halos in case the hat fell off? That's the way i feel too, however I'm not too afraid (at least not yet!) to be seen bald. I want to have a wig, but not sure what I will wear mostly. i know a lot of my friends wore scarves more often. It's funny how different we all are. Some people don't want anyone to know they have cancer. I told everyone I know that i have cancer! I like the support they have all given me, but i also like to be a role model, or an inspiration to others, so I want them to see that cancer isn't stopping me from being me. I joined a yoga class for limited mobility, and a painting class....both instructors know I have cancer. Everyone at work knows. And everyone has been wonderful....no pity, just support when I need it. After I get through chemo, I would like to be a patient advocate to help others through similar situations.
I will keep everyone updated on my hair loss and chemo. I'm a little nervous about wednesday, because that's when I get my bone scan and CT scan results. My LNs were negative, but I know that doesn't always mean that there hasn't been some metastasis.
Lisa...did you have your first chemo session? How did it go? How are you feeling? I hope you are doing well, physically and emotionally. The same goes for everyone here! Thank you again for all the support and encouragement!
Pat
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #43
tricia keegan

Good luck Wed for your results Pat but I'm sure they'll be fine!

As to the wigs etc, I wore scarves at home but was'nt brave enough to face the world without my wig but applaud those who do!!!

Chemo is no picnic but do-able and there's usually a med to counteract most side effects if you have any so sending good wishes for that too. The most important thing I learned was to take the anti nausea meds even if I felt I did'nt need them as its far easier to prevent nausea than stop once it starts!!

Nancy, I hope you never need that info either!!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #44
Pray

HI Pat,

I did tell all of my friends and family I had cancer. I am fairly well known at my church, community, my social world is pretty big. I'm very blessed that way. With in these circles many people think just because you are well known they can ask you any personal question they want. A lot of people still did and still do. I do love your attitude about your BC and I hope you will go far. Gods blessings to you in your endeavors!

Tricia, as always thank you for caring. You are very sweet! Gods blessings to you.

Your friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #45
patz64

Hi Everyone!

Just an update: My CT scans were normal. My bone scan showed a small spot on my sternum, but the radiologist said it is a degenerative change; NOT cancer. My tumor markers were good.
I have my 1st chemo session next Tuesday. I am getting taxotere, cytoxan, and herceptin, every 3 weeks for a total of 4 sessions. The herceptin will continue for a year.
I hope I handle the chemo well!!!
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #46
YellowTail

Hi Lisa, ding-dong how is your port doing? Before I go to my treatment sessions I use an Emla patch as well; it is a little patch that goes on top of the port 45-mins before the session to numb that area, I just did not want to feel the prick of the needle (as you can all relate we are like pin cushions) so my onc suggested the Emla. Here in Canada they cost 8$ for two at Walmart a little cheaper at the cancer centre pharmacy. I put it on myself and do not feel the prick. Have a nice day!
YellowTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #47
Deb33

I had a port put on the inside of my arm 2 months ago for my Adriamycin cycles. Its painless but looks like a gumball under my skin and seems to be bruised all the time - I guess I must hit it without realizing it. From a funtional perspective - its great. My chemo nurses pre-spray a numbing lotion on it before they stick me and I feel nothing. I'm just self conscious and don't wear short sleeves. Your's looks amazing on your chest.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #48
CoolBreeze

Mine is on my arm too. I swear, every medical professional looks at me like I grew a giraffe out of my arm or something - nobody has ever seen it there. I just had a big surgery at UCSF and nobody would touch it!

My chemo nurses do though. I am super skinny and it sticks out an inch or more and is purple, but at least I can wear sleeves. I hate it but it's in me forever so I guess I have to deal.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #49
YellowTail

Red face Re: Port Placement

Hi Debb, the other day I noticed that my port also looked bruised however after moving the skin ever so slightly I noticed the bruise was gone and the would re-appear. I remember the port being a bright purple in colour and thought to myself perhaps it not a bruise at all, maybe it is the purple colour of the port shinning through the skin? In any case that is what mine looks like, was your port also purple? Maybe it is not a bruise at all and just a pretty purple badge of honour for a while, just a thought.

Namaste, Marlene
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #50
Britbee

Hi just got my Power Port put in Nov 22nd and had my first chemo session yesterday. Having no trouble with the port, the needle hurt a little going in but went straight to the pharmacy after and got the Emla cream for my next session. Think in the long run this is the best route to go.
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/

Britbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #51
YellowTail

Hello Fellow Canadian, I felt the same at first with the port having to get use to it but now it is there and I don't notice it until someone hugs me to hard I use the emla patch (2 for 7$) Canadian at Walmart half the cost of the local pharmacy (Shoppers Drug Mart) same product 16$, crazy. I put the patch on 45mins before the chemo started and felt nothing thank goodness! I am done chemo and still have herceptin every three weeks and use the emla patch still. Believe in your self and keep moving forward!

Marlene
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #52
Britbee

Thanks for the heads up about pricing Marlene, I had already paid the high price at Shoppers but will remember this for future purchases.
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/