HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
bevilj

starting T-DM1 - what to expect?

Hi,

I'm scheduled to start on the T-DM1 trial next week and am wondering what I am in for. I have googled and read several articles but am really interested in hearing from people who have participated in the trial to get a good picture of what's ahead.

I'm always told that with every treatment that the side effects will be minimal, yet I seem to experience a ton. I wound up in the hospital after my first infusion of TCH and had a rough go on Xeloda. Tykerb wasn't that bad but wasn't without it's issues. For those of you who take, or have taken T-DM1, what have things been like for you?

Have you been able to work while in treatment and be active? I'm currently on medical leave from work - holding over from recent gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation. Mentally and physically, I don't think I'm ready to go back...but if I was up for it, it is doable?

I've read different things about success rates on this treatment also. Wondering how long you've been able to get T-DM1 without progression? Or how long did you take it before you knew it wasn't working for you? I'm anxious to get started as I haven't been feeling well for awhile and I'm hoping this is the magic plan that works for me.

Thanks in advance for sharing your stories.
Jen
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote