HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
snolan

Started anti-depressant feeling funky

I started on Efforex anti-depressant two days ago, and have been feeling light headed, weak and tired. All the side effects are normal for this med just wondering if anyone else has had this and how long did it last. I know it can take up to 4 weeks for the med to start to work does that mean I will feel this funk for that long?
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
jaykay

Re: Started anti-depressant feeling funky

When I started Celexa, I had to cut my dose in half. Felt the same way as you on the full dose. Found the half dose worked fine so kept it that way.
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
sarah

I've always heard it takes a while for the drug to build up to have any effect. and yes as jaykay says you can take 1/2 or even 1/4. If you go off them, you should keep lower the dose, not just stop them abruptly.
hope they help you
hugs
sarah
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Nurse4u2day

I hope your feeling better... I know for some it takes about a week plus for your body to adjust to the medications
12/13 port placed
12/13 neoadjuvant DD AC xs 4 rounds started
02/14 taxol/herceptin started every week xs 12 rounds
Herceptin for 1 year
Ki67=23%
BRCA1&2 negative
5/06/14 last round taxol/herceptin. Chemo done!!!
5/07/14 clear CT scan
6/11/14 Bilateral Mastectomy Done
6/15/14 8mm tumor post chemo. Removed by bmx
6/15/14 lymph nodes 0/9
6/15/14 officially Cancer Free
7/11/14 emergency surgery to left breast . Wound refused to heal and broke open. New TE placed
7/28/14 emergency medical procedure now to right breast( post op 6 weeks mastectomy ) wound opens.
8/25/14 - 10/07/14 Radiation
11/24/14 CT of Brain clear
01/23/15 One year Herceptin Complete
02/04/15 Diep done
5/01/15 1 year Ct scan- mass in thymus
6/23/15 repeat CT mass in thymus still present
6/30/15 biopsy thymus 7/03/15 mass Benign! Diagnoses Thymic hyperplasia rebound ( chemo at fault, no long term health effects)
7/08/15 phase 2 diep
11/23/15 phase 2b ( reconstructive surgery with lipo)
03/05/18 Vinnie Myer 3 D nipple tattoos complete.
11/19/2018 5 years since Dx of IBC stage 3c remain NED.
11/19/21- 8 years today I officially remain NED and in 12 days I will be having a lymphnode transfer to help decrease some mild lymphedema! Still working, living life and soon to see a day I thought never would happen and that’s becoming a grandparent June 22nd.
11/19/2023 - 10 years since diagnosis and I remain NED
Nurse4u2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
snolan

I stopped taking in on Saturday it was giving me constant headaches, constipation, muscle fatigue. Calling my Dr today to see if we try something else or just go the counseling route.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Finished chemo 12/2010
Reconstruction 12/21/11
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
JessicaV

Hi, I work as a psychologist. I have seen different antidepressants hit different people in amazingly different ways, and there are many different ones on the market. I have seen one make person A suicidal, but work perfectly for person B who has horrible symptoms for the antidepressant that helped person A. Most of them upset the balance of several very carefully inter balanced biochemicals, one that makes you calm, one that gets you excited or anxious, one that makes you feel happy etc. Starting or stopping or changing the dose makes waves and throws the balance out again. And it takes a week or two for the waves to settle. I encourage anyone with troublesome symptoms to discuss them in depth with their doctor, and to continue the conversation until you are happy with what you are taking.

Finding the right counsellor or psychotherapist for you is much the same: you have to be prepared for a bit of a quest and not settle for something that is not right for you. It can be hard to push through this stage of either, but stick to your guns and be ready to try one, and if necessary say this doesn't work for me, and not worry about offending anyone. The wrong person can be a waste of time or downright harmful.

Personally, I see antidepressants as a useful mostly to take the edge off unbearable pain, but they don't change anything. Seeing the right person, or finding the practices that really work for you like mindfulness for some people, reduces or nullifies that pain. My own philosophy is that I want to learn to resolve what is wrong, to change not just mask a problem.

I wish you the energy and courage to seek out the right solution for you.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
snolan

Jessica I like your advice, my depression is not anything bad, I don't have suicidal thoughts or pain. I have just had a change in my support system on a few levels and am finding it difficulty to deal with and it is changing my behavior. I don't like taking meds to just hide something but rather try to fix the issue. I talk with my Dr today may try the counseling route.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Finished chemo 12/2010
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Old 03-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
JessicaV

A change in your support system is upsetting. Hope you can find a good counsellor, and also that you get the support you need.
Do you know about the Bad Day Box system? To set it up, your "wise-mother" self goes collecting or shopping with and for your "hurting child" self. They need to be items that will not damage your quality of life by adding alcohol, drugs or too much sugar or too much fat, or break the budget. The aim is to get a collection of items that brighten things for you when you are having a really bad day. On a bad day, and only on a bad day, you can open the box and take out one item of your choice that will help. It not only brightens your day but reminds you that whatever happens, even when you can't find any part of you able to comfort and console the hurting child within, that wise-mothering part has left these symbols of herself for you.
I put into my bad day box a couple of unread books by my favourite murder mystery writers, a couple of special scented teas, a bottle of bubble-bath, and a couple of books of affirmations that hit the spot for me. Plus a list of the people I really can email or call for a chat at any time (even though when I am feeling bad I may tell myself nobody would want to hear me whinge.) Plus some swiss chocolates which I eat one of when I think chocolate will help.
It may seem like mind games but I find it works for me.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote