HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #61
Rolepaul

Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

Eileen,
I am hearing that there might be some movement in that area. I just need to help push it just a little more. I think I need to get some info from MD Anderson to the doc.

I will do what I can for all out there. Still waiting to hear from a certain contact that took my email and said they will get back to me. I am going to see Nina tomorrow night. I will follow through on emails when I can.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #62
marvass

Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

Thank you all for the good wishes, we did enjoy a good anniversary, and we are confident that there are more and more to come.
Mario
marvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
marvass

I would like to clarify the title.
My wife had Leptomeningeal Metastases, that is, many mets on the lining of the brain, the meninges, together with one 2 cm met on this lining. This was begining of last year. However after treating with local radiation and stayed clear for about a year, this developed into many mets inside the brain tissue, 6 at least varying from 6mm to 3mm, and countless others that were just about beginning to be visible. So actually this was no longer Leptomeningeal Metastase but brain tumours. IT herceptin alone is good to treat this in Her2+ and till now (3 months from being diagnosed and started treatment with IT) we had good results. She did no more radiation and no chemo. I have read that some tried it even with triple negative and worked.
I just wish that we had done this at the beginning of the cancer, while taking adjuvent IV herceptin after the masectomy, I'm sure none of this would have happened 3 years later!! She was stage 3, so those of you being stage 3 take my advice, do some IT herceptin shots through lumbar, not just IV, if you can.
Mario
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #64
hutchibk

Apparently my post disappeared, but if I am not wrong (and often can be), IT is available anywhere that you have an Onc who does it and insurance covers it. You don't have to find a clinical trial. I have had one friend consider it locally, and one on the west coast who had it.

And, great advice about lumbar shots as opposed to IV, Mario.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-05-2012 at 10:06 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #65
ehower

Paul, Somehow I missed this post. I just found it. thank you!!!!! You're so thorough. I'm going to my onc on Tuesday and begging him to take a look at this procedure. Thank you so much. Thank you Paul, Mario, Carol, Nina, Brenda!! xo Eileen
ehower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #66
ehower

Paul, I referred in the last response to your post about yours and Nina's story. It just didn't go under the proper posting...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #67
marvass

Good luck Eileen, wish you get what you want.
Brenda, this is still not a standard procedure, so all this depends on your onc.
Mario
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #68
marvass

MRI of 2 weeks ago came out to be not as good as we expected. The 6 tumors that were present before stayed the same size, however there are some new small spots around the brain and so most probably this dosage of 100mg IT herceptin is not working to clear all. However doctors said that they are not certain that this means progression, it could be that this new spots are herceptin marks on the cells that were present. Now the dosage has been increased to 150mg IT herceptin together with 50mg steroid per week. My wife can tolerate this without any sde effects at all. Quality of life is still very good. We are also starting lapatinib as from next week, and then MRI is another 6 weeks or so, to check if the tumors start shrinking.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #69
ehower

Hi, Mario, Thanks for the update. We're all thinking about you and your wife. The good news is that the larger tumors didn't grow. I hope the lapatinib goes well, too!! Eileen
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #70
hutchibk

Thanks Mario... as my quote said, "... it is available anywhere that you have an Onc who does it and insurance covers it." I think that is the same thing, no?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #71
marvass

You are both welcome, over these couple of weeks, my wife is still stable with a very good quality of life. Hope the tykerb and herceptine are working, will scan in a month's time and update.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #72
ehower

Glad things are going well. Looking forward to a positive next report!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #73
Pray

I'm hoping and praying to hearing more postive reports! Gods blessings to you and your family!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #74
evlin75

IT herceptin is available in Orlando at the MD Anderson facility there, if anyone needing this lives in this area.
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #75
marvass

That is great news elvin!!

Thanks pray and ehower.

Will keep you updated.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #76
Rolepaul

Smile Re: Intrathecal (IT) Herceptin (Trastuzumab) for brain mets (Leptomeningeal Metastase

Nina is still doing great. The bump up in Herceptin IT dosage might have something to do with it. There are two small areas that need to be followed. One is in the L2-L3 spinal nerves, but it is really hard to see. The other is on the L5 top plate, but it appeared back in the spring after a really brutal Lumbar Puncture. In the mean time, Nina has been back home since Labor day weekend and then flew out to Houston for treatment, Denver to visit her mother, back to Houston for treatment and eval, then home this past Saturday. She is walking like crazy, driving, computering, yogaing, etc. We are not out of the danger zone, but things are in a comfortable spot. A person from the mid east started her treatment regimen two weeks ago with Nina's method. So there are a few already being helped. Time to see what I can do to get more treated and healthy. Still some reluctance on deep brain treatment, but working on having more women with that issue addressed in the next few months.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #77
KDR

Yoga? Fantastic! Thank for the update on Nina and I look forward to more good news...
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #78
marvass

Wife is still doing well, MRI this week, will see how the combination of herceptin 150 mg IT every week and IV every 3 weeks together with 1250 mg tykerb worked. We are hoping for better news, fingers crossed.
Mario
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #79
evlin75

Glad to hear the IT treatments seem to be working for others. My daughter was infected with staph - either when the ommaya port was installed or when herceptin was instilled. Had to remove it in an emergency procedure. Found an abscess behind the ommaya. I stayed with her for eight weeks instilling antibiotics IV to get it under control.
She has since transferred to MD Anderson in Orlando whee she is getting the IT by spinal puncture. 40 mg right now, but can be raised -unlike the clinical trial. The clinical trial dose would not change. The first MRI showed clearing of the cervical area and other areas with a bit less of the cancer. The second MRI looked mostly the same with not much change seen.
The fact that she was infected and could not receive chemo for the other areas of her body - bones etc - allowed her to qualify for the pertuzamab. She said maybe the infection was a blessing in disguise.
She has remained on the Tykerb and is now back on the Herceptin plus pertuzamab also.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for her and am wishing the best for all - no matter the diagnoses or treatments scheduled for them.
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #80
Pray

Mario and Evlin, I am always hoping and praying for good results , Gods blessings to both of your families.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain lesions, clinics it herceptin, doctor it herceptin, intrathecal herceptin, it herceptin