HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Tom

It seems a little funny to be a man, and find myself posting often to a breast cancer support group site. But I have found myself trying desperately to keep my loving Mom alive due to the scourge of this disease. I know she is old, but she's the only Mom I've got, and the only family I've got for the most part. I feel a little guilty that she has to go through this, as I was born very late in her life, and I know that may have had some impact on her developing the disease.
I guess what I need to say is that I want to give all of you that are battling this disease, great credit for all you do and endure to survive not only for yourselves, but for your families as well. It seems so ironic to me, that this disease should originate within the breast, which normally represents a lot of what being a woman and a Mother is all about, i.e., nurishment and comfort for her newborn, and a soft safe place to lay one's head as a child, for that sense of well being that only a Mother's embrace can provide. It is as if your body has betrayed you in the cruelest of ways.
I am brought to tears as I read all of your stories, and "hear" both your cries for help, and shouts of determination. I want to say that I am so proud of all of you for taking the time to share your stories and advice, so that others, including men, may benefit in some way by reading them.
It occured to me that in all of my posts, some of which contain my own research into nutritional strategies with which to fight, I left out one of the most important "treatments" of all. I am speaking of the power of prayer. I'm sure that I haven't always been doing enough of it myself, as I become distraught by current setbacks in Mom's health, and the general beleaguered feeling that comes with worrying myself sick about her each day. But I can tell you that I have personally experienced the infinite power of prayer in many aspects of my life, not the least of which was being literally snatched from the clutches of a certain death in a boating accident years ago. Miracles do happen each and every day. You simply have to "see" clearly enough to recognize them. My point is simple. NEVER, EVER underestimate the value of prayer as you do battle with your cancer. And I am not talking about any placebo effect, or a simple trick to make yourself feel better.
My friends find it amusing that I also pray for the untold thousands of researchers that sit day after day, racking their brains to unlock the mysteries of this disease. I ask our Creator to inspire them in their quest for the cure. I also pray for all of you, who are Mothers, Grandmothers, Sisters, Wives, Girlfriends, and all the rest.
I pray that one day we will be look back on all of this and say, "Thank God breast cancer is no longer of any concern to women and those that love them". Thank you all for your contributions to this site, and keep up your chin, your spirits, and most importantly your faith. I fully believe that the end of cancer in this world is within our lifetime.

God Bless You All,
Tom
Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Rach

Tom,
Thank you for all your wonderful and kind words. I just wanted to also say that the power of prayer is undeniable. My first experience with BC was at 28 years old and I was not a follower of Christ and even though I got through it, later I developed a brain met, had a much better relationship with the Lord and have made it through surgery and WBR with very little side effects, feelings of peace, and stronger faith. I will keep your mother in my thoughts and prayers. She is one lucky woman to have you for a son.

In Him,
Rach
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Mary

Hi Tom - Since my own cancer journey really began with the death of my husband - kidney cancer Dec 24th 1997. Followed by my own lung cancer late winter 2001 - now breast cancer. Until I read your posting and the geat pain and love you have for your Mom I have tried so hard to be strong during my journey I have not let myself really cry. Until today. I knew I needed to but for some reason I have been stopping myself. As I was reading your post I felt my tears begin and knew I needed to reply to thank you. It is my first visit to this site and I have registered but still have not done my profile. When I do stop crying I will post my profile.

I will keep you and your Mom in my prayers Tom.

Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote