HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
TriciaK

Here's the latest on TriciaK

As many of you know, I have been fighting BC since 1985, starting with cancer in the right breast and suspicious tissue in the left. I underwent a bilateral mastectomy, did fine for 5 years, then it returned in t9 and t10 vertebras in 1990. A variety of treatments including tamoxifen led to a diagnosis 5 years later of "Healed metastatic breast cancer." I went on with my life and career, all but forgetting about BC, until a heart attack in 2004 and a triple bypass. I credit the heart attack with saving my life, for because of it we disovered BC was back, this time her2. Fifteen months on herceptin, including 6 on navelbine, and femara ever since has kept me NED up to 2009. My 6-months checkup and scan this July showed my tumor markers starting to rise again and a nodule was growing. My oncologist suggested monthly marker checks and another scan in 3 months, which was October 14. The good news is that although the markers are still rising, the latest scan showed that the lung nodule looks cancer-free and hasn't grown more. That is really good news and I am grateful!
Since I will turn 80 on December 9, I have a few other health challenges , but I am feeling positive and doctors have suggested some treatments. I had another mild heart attack in January, with pulmonary and heart blood clots. I've just been diagnosed with polymyalgia which causes weakness, pain and dizziness. I will probably have to go on prednisone and maybe start using a wheel chair or scooter. I've also developed gall bladder problems that require immediate surgery. At the moment I can't walk, eat, or see very well but I am hanging in there. I'm thinking I may die of old age at 102, like my Swedish great grandmother! I'm the girl who used to dance 4 nights a week, so I'm not ready to give up yet. I have a wonderful husband and about 75 descendents +4 new great grandbabies due next year I can't wait to meet! I'm teaching a couple of classes and writing another book. Whatever happens it's been a fun ride and knowing you all has been very special. Thank you for your love and prayers and support. I hold you all in my heart and I have special appreciation to Joe and Christine for all they have done for us. God bless each of you! Love, prayers and hugs, TriciaK

Last edited by TriciaK; 10-26-2009 at 10:25 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote