HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Jean

Re: Prayers for my sweet father in hospice~

JML, hospice is a wonderful group.
I had them for both my Mother and Father.
I will of course keep your Father in my prayers.
Will also pray for additional strength for you, your Mother and family during this most heartfelt time.

hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Laurel

Jessica,

We just lost my father in January. The hospice care givers were wonderful and he died at home as he wished. It was a difficult year and I am only now beginning to mourn my loss such was the intense involvement in caring for him and Mom. Now she is alone and my family is very involved in her care as she had a stoke nearly 8 years ago. Mom is a trouper and we go on without Pop, but feel we did our best in helping him to die.

Remember, Jessica, NO GUILT. Everyone who embraces Hospice care wonders if they made the correct decision. KNOW that you have under the circumstances faced. You are a wonderful, brave, loving daughter and I know your father is as proud and trusting of you as my father was of me.

Bless you.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
sarah

you have my prayers as well
hugs and love
sarah
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
Ceesun

Jessica, Thinking of you and your father...they are so special, aren't they....prayers, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
jml

Thank you everyone for your chorus of voices. Thank you for sharing you experiences.
Hospice really is wonderful, but it can be a rollercoaster. I'm going through a bit of a confusing time because Pop has been more alert since moving to hospice.He's not been able to speak since the original stroke last year, but for 6 months he was still able to interact with us, even mobile with assistance. Then after seizures & mini strokes in December, that really knocked him down to completely bedridden, non communicative, rarely opening his eyes.It was respiratory issues & pneumonia last week that brought him to the hospital again & ultimately the decision to move to hospice.
Now in hospice he opens his eyes, looks around, responds to the sound of voices and touch. The doctor & social worker reassure us that these are not signs of him getting better, it's part of the process, especially now that he's off all meds. And we all know there is no treatment out there for him that will heal him and return him to the life he would want.
I feel so confused about not wanting him to linger and suffer, yet not wanting him to go, because once he's gone, he's gone forever.
So now we just surround him with love, even laughter,reassure him that we will all be okay, that we will take care of each other, and that I will continue to fight.
Thank you again,friends for you love,prayers & support.
Aloha & God bless~
Jml

Last edited by jml; 04-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
Pam P

Jessica - So sorry to read about your dad.m Prayers for him and your family. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Shobha

Your dad and you are in my Prayers, Jml..

-hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
NEDenise

Jessica,
Your Dad sounds like an amazing man. Not just for his professional accomplishments, but for the love he clearly shares with a beautiful daughter and family. Your love for him is in every word of your post.
I have lived through the hospice experience with both of my parents now, and I truly believe that each of them "hung on" until they were sufficiently convinced that we would be okay, and would take care of each other.

I hope your Dad is able to find peace and comfort as he prepares to go Home to God. You, and your family will be in my prayers.

Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #29
Emelie B

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.
He will never be gone forever, he will live in your hearts.
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
Laurel

Jessica,

Thinking of you and your family.

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED

Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
alicem

Jessica,

Even more so now, this confirms what a blessing it was to be your roomie in San Antonio at SABCS. The stories you told me about your father, as we chatted into the wee hours, made him become so real to me. Getting to know you was like getting to know your Dad, because he lives in you and you are WONDERFUL!! I am sorry that I will never get to know him in person.

I empathize with your confusion in the weeks ahead. I felt the same way in 1999 as I drove to Houston to be with my Mom on what turned out to be her last night on earth. I wanted to pray, but I didn't know what to pray for. On one hand, I didn't want to pray for her to die - what child in their right mind would pray for something like that. I wanted her to live forever . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . On the other hand, how could I pray for her to live when I knew she would never want to continue living in her current state of health. She had told me that many times, it was why she had a living will. Before I left town I stopped to speak with my Pastor and he gave me wonderful advice. On the 3 hour drive to see her I did not pray for her to get better, nor did I pray for God to take her quickly to end her suffering. Instead, I prayed all the way for that peace which passes all understanding that only God can give. Thank goodness God answered my prayers. Around 4 a.m. she became unusually alert and recognized me. She asked me, a little scared, "Am I going to be alright?" I was able to answer her honestly - "Yes Mom, you are going to be alright". Those were the last words she spoke, and she died peacefully 3 hours later.

Life is not fair, and times like this it is so hard to understand why someone as wonderful as your Dad could have been stricken like this. I pray for peace for you and your loved ones. You remain in my prayers.

~Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #32
Joan M

Jessica, My prayers go out to your father. You are a good daughter and sister. Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #33
fullofbeans

oh Jessica you have my prayers from accross the pound. My eye watered that you have to deal with this now. At the same time I remember a chinese quote that said what is happiness "you parents dies you die and your children die" to which the learner answered "how is that happiness?" to which the answered was " they die in that order". I hope that you undertsnad what I mean I am just trying to soften the terrible blow. Much love to you and your family

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #34
caroline96

I am sending prayers up for your family, especially your father and you....
caroline96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #35
jml

Papa passed on Saturday,4/14:(Re: Prayers for my sweet father in hospice~

I can't tell you how helpful your voices of prayers, compassion, tenderness have helped me and my family get through this heartbreaking time.
The hospice counselors and doctors were gentle and caring with all of us, especially my mom who felt helpless after a year of doing all his care, then suddenly leaving it all to the rn's & cna's- she felt so empty-handed.
We sat with him daily &my mom stayed overnights. He lasted in hospice for 12 days, much longer than they estimated when we arrived, but my Dad was a strong, stubborn,tough man! I would just sit with him, reading a book while he slept & holding his hand under his blanket. He would even reflexively squeeze every so often.
The last 36 hours were the most difficult. Just watching him, fearing the 'worst' and not knowing what to pray for him-just like alicem said, only that there would be no fear, that we would all be okay and would take care of each other and that all that existed was Love. I prayed the rosary every day with him, and since it was a Catholic hospice we has numerous visits from priests and nuns, for
anointing and communion. It was very comforting to me.
In his last moments, my sisters and I surrounded his bed, each holding his
hands, with my other sister's hand on his heart, while my mom kissed his
face, whispered in his ear and smoothed his hair.Sadly my oldest sister who had been here earlier in the week had already to returned LA to be with her
kids & husband & wasn't able to be with us. But we told him how much she loved him- I know she's so sad not to have been with us.
My mom & sisters tell me his last breaths were very gentle and peaceful-my head was buried, sobbing in his hand, but am glad to know there was peace at
the end.
After this experience with my Dad I thought I would have a better sense & comfort with my own mortaliy - dealing with my stage iv disease for~10yrs, 200+ rounds of chemo, running out of options & hoping and praying for pertuzamab & tdm1 to quickly come to market, but I'm still feeling confused. All I do know is I have to keep fighting like crazy because I can't bear the thought of my family enduring more sadness right now.
I don't want to think about myself right now- I just want to celebrate his life at his service next week, with friends, family, his university colleagues and students who adored him.
Thank you again for all your kind words, prayers and encouragement. Your friendships are invaluable to me.
God bless & Aloha~
Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #36
StephN

Peace be with you, my dear girl. I am sure this is what your father was thinking, whether he could say it or not.

I also was not at the hospital when my father passed, but he was already in a coma and I had spoken with him a lot earlier. The sense of loss is so great when you have a wonderful father who was the strength of the family.

Remember to save some energy now for your own healing.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
Sheila

Jessica
My deepest sympathy to you and your family...it is difficult to lose a parent, they are our stronghold, our protector...so glad you were with your Dad...I remember my Mom waited for my Dad to kiss her good morning, and tell her he loved her, like he did every morning...then she took her last breath. Stay strong for your Mom, she needs you now more than ever...please take care of yourself too.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
Laurel

Jessica,

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your father. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Laurel

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
Jackie07

Jessica,

So sorry for the passing of your dad. Our deepest condolence to you and your family.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #40
Firework

You have our deepest sympathy,our prayers for your families strength and prayers for your healing.
Lorraine