HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
kvogler

Radiation after mastectomy of left breast--fearful

Looks like my oncologist is going to suggest radiation. I'm worried because I've had a mastectomy of the left breast and I'm worried about my heart. Anyone else a leftie out there who did well with radiation. Looking for some hope. Thanks.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
europa

Re: Radiation after mastectomy of left breast--fearful

Hi there.
I had radiation on my left side. My heart was grazed by the laser each time and I'm fine (for now). My Radiology Oncologist told me that my chances of having heart issues in the future are about %5-%10 but that I could lower that by staying healthy and active. The only side effect I had was that my skin got red and a bit painful with my last 3 rounds. But within a week after I finished my skin was much much better. It's really not that bad. You'll do just fine.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
lasarles

I also had 30 rads without any issues. They gave me a gel to use which I used faithfully twice daily during radiation. I asked for an extra one to carry in my purse and put it on immediately following treatments. The other one I kept at home and used at bedtime. After radiation ended they gave me a bunch of samples of aquaphor to use until the redness went away. Then they told me to use vitamin e oil, 12,000 i.u. As I said, I did this faithfully throughout and for about 4 weeks following. Thankfully I had absolutely no issues of anykind. Good luck to you and hoping it is as smooth sailing for you as it was for me.
3/13/12 44th Birthday, Mammogram, Ultrasound.
3/15/12 Needle Biopsy on Lump and Suspicious Node.
3/20/12 Dreadful "C" Word.
ER90% PR90% Her2+
1 cm, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 2
4/19/12 Portecath, Lumpectomy & Sentinel Node Removal. 0/4 Node Involvement...Yea!!
Margins Clear......Yea!!
5/17/12 Chemo Begins. TCH x 4.
Herceptin Weekly x 4, every 3 wks thereafter for 1 yr. Muga Scans every 3 mos.
8/13/12 Rads x 30
9/24/12 Start Tamoxifen
10/22/12 CT/Whole Body Bone Scan. No Cancer Detected......Yea!
1/31/13 Annual Mammogram and Ultrasound....NED....:)
5/23/13 Final Herceptin Appt
6/25/13 Port Removal
5/2017 Stop Tamoxifen (Thickening of Uterine Walls)
5/2017 Start Arimadex
6/2018 Start Lupron Shot
9/2019 Stop Arimidex and Lupron Shot
6/2020 Last Oncology Appt
4/2024 NED (No Evidence of Disease)
lasarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
sassy

Left mast over seven years ago and no issues. Talk to your Radiation Oncologist about your concerns so that you feel comfortable.

Most signficant side effect of my 33 radiation treatments was gradual fatigue as I went throught the process. Just be sure that you get enough rest.

Hang in there!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
JennyB

I had left radiation no major issued but it sure was sore about 2 days after completion for about 2 weeks I used Paw paw cream and wish I had started at the beginning with it as it melted away my pain.

Good luck

Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Paula O

I had 30 "aggresive" radiation treatments on the left side and was concerned about my heart and lungs too. I was also worried about radiation and chemo causing a different kind of cancer or destroying my remaining health eventually. I decided these were risks worth taking even though I sure didn't want to. I remember feeling like running out of those doctors offices and not coming back but I asked God to help me be brave and I want to live so I did what I needed to do.

My radiologist said it only would go down a level "like pancake thin". I did have a couple months of persistent severe coughing that was probably related to the radiation I was getting at the time. Because my back also got burned and itchy along with my front, I don't see how it only went down a "Pancake thin" level. However, so far so good so far --I seem to have made out OK. Chemo finished up for me last fall, radiation last winter, and Herceptin ended in June. I feel great, my faithful ticker and lungs are fine and I sure am hoping the cancer stays gone for good.

Bioteene and Silvadeen were very helpful for my radiation burns. I tried aloe vera then aquafer and other over the counter creams but they did not work well for me. It is important to not to use any cream or deoderant before any radiation treatments but to moisurize liberally afterwards (I did multiple times/day and showered before radiation to make sure it was all removed prior to treatment). Despite being very careful I did experience bad burning. On the day you go in "to get tatooed (just tiny dots) and marked with markers (you'll feel like a big map), wear a bra and shirt you don't care about. The marker on your skin stays on throughout radiation (they will touch up as needed) and stains fabric permanently. Through radiation treatment I used a couple of old camisoles that got ruined. A camisole was much more comfortable to me than a bra because of the burns.

I wish you the best!

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
jaykay

Had radiation on left breast after lumpectomy 12 years ago (33x). No ill effects on the heart at all. Used aloe gel religiously and crystal deodorant from Whole Foods. No problems at all.

A walk in the park (for me).
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Sandra in GA

I had radiation following a double mastectomy because I had 21 positive nodes on the diseased side (left). I was very apprehensive because my left arm is my "work arm." I had polio as a small child that affected my right arm, so I have very limited use of it. I did not want to lose use of my left. After much research of all the side effects that could occur, I made a detailed list of questions for my radiation onc. After talking with her and accepting that I had had 21 POSITIVE nodes, I decided to go ahead. Being a nurse, I did decide I would apply ice immediately after each treatment alonw with the 99% Aloe she recommended. I had no burns. At the end of the treatment the onc and her nurse wanted to know what I had done to keep my skin looking so good.

On my scans now, there is a small amount of scaring in the upper lobe of my left lung. It causes me no problems. My heart was not affected. They will use mapping and shields to protect yours. Since my radiation followed my Taxol (was still receiving Herceptin and Tykerb), I started feeling better each week. It was only at the end of the treatments that I began to feel somewhat fatigued. It was no where as severe as the fatigue from the regulat chemo.

I wish you good luck. This treatment was one of the easier ones for me. I suggest you make a list of your questions and concerns and then be open to the answers you recieve. I am glad I did it.

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote