HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Mandamoo

Help with Nail infections

Hi everyone
I have posted my story in the newcomers section but I am wondering if you can help with some advice re: nail infections.

I finished taxotere 2 months ago and am now on navelbine, herceptin and everolimus/placebo. I have looked after my nails religiously throughout but for the past 2 weeks have been dealing with infections in my nail beds. I am taking antibiotics but I have 4 fingernails now affected. The nail is lifted and there is oozing from beneath the nail. Once the oozing starts the pain is minimal. I am dressing them with gauze and sterile dressings. I bathe them in salty water and then put betadine on them but still the infection remains.

I have healthy nail growing at the base - probably 1/3 way up. I have them polished with hardener and dark colour too. My toes seem ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
karen z

Re: Help with Nail infections

I don't know any way around this except for time. I had multiple problems during and after taxol with herceptin (in 2005)- infections, black nails, nails falling off, you name it. At this point most of my nails are fine but I still have one or two that just never grew in correctly (both on my feet- hands are o.k. now). I am not sure I would do much in the way of using nail polish, etc. right now. I think I might just wait it out- but ask your medical team. It seems like mine did not want me covering things up, which might add to my problems.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
laurab

I'm on Herceptin only and having quite a few nail problems including infections. My doctor gave me Keflex (antibiotic) and told me to soak it several times a day with warm water and Epsom Salt. The nail is not normal yet but has improved in just one day.
laurab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
snolan

I had two of my nails get infected they did better when I just cut the nail off and allowed the area to dry up, kept them bandaged when out and about but at home would let them open to air. Once they scabed up infection went away.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Paula O

A friend of mine had a lot of problems with nail infections while on chemo. She told me that 2 things were most helpful to her:
1. Tea Tree Oil (from Health Food Store)
2. Vicks Vapor Rub (seems odd but she said someone else on chemo recc to her because it also worked for them.)

I do not know if she checked with her oncologist about these over the counter treatments.

Hope your nails clear up quickly!

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
harrie

I didn't actually have an infection. I had no exudate come out or pain, but I was able to lift a couple of them up a bit and there was darkening. My onco recommended trea tree oil which I used. It took a while but eventually they went back to normal.
I am not sure, but I vaguely remember someone telling me not to paint them (not absolutely sure about that, but I "think" that's what I was told)

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Mandamoo

Thankyou for all of the tips. I have been on antibiotics now for 3 weeks. Last week I didn't have chemo - just herceptin as my neutrophils were again too low. I now have all 10 fingers bandaged and have had exudate ooze from 7 of those 10 - I am bandaging the remaining 3 to try and reduce the risk of infection. I moved from soaking in salt water to tea tree oil last night so let's see how that works. I have changed antibiotic this week - little improvement so far and am now putting antibiotic ointment in under the top of the nail. I am not polishing them anymore as they are dressed in bandages (lovely sight!). I had been told to polish using hardener and a dark polish to reduce sunlight getting to the nails. 2 out of the 7 seem to still be oozing some exudate at the moment.

Hopefully, the week 0ff chemo will have helped though I am due again on Wednesday... and the ab's don't seem to have helped that much (doesn't help that I am allergic to penicillin).

Thanks so much for the tips.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote