HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
joyce lutz

What to take for depression

Hi All - Looking for an antidepressant that doesn't make one more tired than my daughter already is! I feel she needs to take something as she has frequent crying spells and irritability. Any ideas are appreciated. My best to you all
Joyce
joyce lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Pray

Re: What to take for depression

Hi Joyce,

I am so sorry your daughter is having such a hard time. I pray it won't last to long.

In the beginning I cried all of the time also as many of us here. I was offered an anti depressant many many times. It took a year for me to finally give in and I am so sorry I didn't take their advice sooner! I take venlafaxine and it has made a world of difference for me. I actually got my happy back! Your daughter will too. If there is any thing I could say or do to help her or you out please don't hesitate to ask. my email is in my member page.

Gods blessings to you and your daughter. God is good all of the time!

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Paty

Joyce,

My oncologist gave me Lexapro for some time and it made great effects on me. I took this drug for about a year. As I had had depression, anxiety and panic attacks before, these horrible symptoms came back terribly on me during the last year. I saw my psychiatrist and she gave me Tafil and paroxetine and the effects on my symptoms have been great. Almost all symptoms went away, I still think I need a boost for my depression, but I will not know what my doctor thinks until next appointment.

Hope you will find help soon for your daughter. There is always hope.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
sarah

Hello,
I became very moody after going on Femara (maybe the estrogen suppression?) and a friend suggested anti-depressants - I laughed saying I'm never depressed but the mood swings were my form of depression. The chemo doc put me on Paroxotine and it worked. I started on 1/2 a tablet up to 1 and then after about a year back to 1/2 then 1/4 then nothing. It worked for me. I was particularly worried about addiction to them or having to be on them for life having read about a popular drug (Prosac) that for a while a lot of people were taking and apparently you could never get off because of some danger??? but the chemo doc assured me this one had no such problem. However I think anti-depressants effect people differently so you have to be watched carefully when on them. I took it in the morning and had no drugged feeling.
Have her watch lots of funny movies, smiling helps also.
health and happiness
Sarah
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
pibikay

Hema's Onc advised a change of place without any known faces.We went away to a new place and it worked.Final alternative he said he will prescribe an anti depressant.But the change of envoirement worked great
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
laurab

My doctor has prescribed Cymbalta for my depression. It works very well for me. I also saw a psychiatrist who specializes in people with cancer. I no longer see the psychiatrist but have found I cannot stop the Cymbalta. The only side effect I've had from the Cymbalta is dry mouth.
laurab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
MCS

I think it's understable to be depressed after all we have gone or going thru.
I was placed on Lexapro and then Celexa. Oh yeah, I has the happiest busy bunny you've ever seen! I could work till 11pm cleaning while whistling away. This is just not me even before cancer when everyone said I had a Type A+ personality.
So the gp (not the onc-the onc did not want to get involved in this), placed me on Wellbutrin SR. The SR works according to the depression blogs out there better than regular wellbutrin and the generic form-so be aware of that. I take two tablets a day, you will not notice a high, but you will handle things, even the bad ones with more acceptance and you will not be up at 11pm ironing or cleaning the kitchen. Others have had weight gain issues with it, I've had a little bit so you do have to watch your diet.
The most important take away is that these things work differently on diferent people and the doctor just cannot switch up in and out of another because they take a few weeks to take effect.
Also, don't be ashamed that you need this. Many of us regulargly take some form or another, you don't even have to have cancer or experienced cancer in a spouse or child or death.
Depression is not a stigma, ok!!!
I also take Klonopin for anxiety in the morning and Ativan at night as needed. My family has a history of imsomnia, so even before I was diagnosed I was taking ambien. NO, I am not walking zombie and I am not a drug addict. I am calm

xoxo

Maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
rachelhmmd

One needs to be extra careful about the choice of antidepressants if one is also on tamoxifen. Paxil and some of the other antidepressants in that class (SSRI) have been shown to decrease tamoxifen's efficacy.
rachelhmmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
candlegranny

cymbalta is very good
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
mmoons

Hi Joyce-

Get this...I went on EffexorCR for hot flashes. Chemo put me into menopause, like so many of us. The side effect of Effexor was that I went from being edgy and irritable to very balanced. Turns out it is for anxiety and the side effect is no more hot flashes. I am using it the other way around.

I love it. I am more patient with my kids. No change in my personality other than I feel more "even". Does that make sense? No side effects. I am very happy with it.

Thinking of you and your daughter

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
hutchibk

I didn't tolerate Effexor at all, so we tried Remeron. I am not currently on it, but the two different times that I did take it for a year each time, it was fantastic. My significant other called it my happy pill. It definitely increased my appetite and subsequently my weight... I believe it is supposed to have a bit more of an anti-anxiety aspect to it. But it is also anti-depressant. I found it mild and easy for me to tolerate.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
NEDenise

Joyce,
There's a lot of good advice in this thread already...especially...
~there's no reason to be embarrassed or resist trying an antidepressant
~different drugs work for different people
~your doctor should monitor you to be sure you are getting the effect you're looking for
~you can't get "hooked" on antidepressants anymore...medicine has come a long way!

I take Zoloft and I thank God for it everyday. My problem is anxiety, not depression, and Zoloft has been wonderful. My friend took Zoloft and had almost no symptom relief. Everyone is different. And if you don't like how the meds make you feel...you can always stop taking them(under your doctor's supervision), or try a different one.

Someone mention "not being a zombie". I actually feel like the medicine lifts a fog that's been hanging over me. It never makes me hyper, it just let's me think straight, and react appropriately to stress.

Seriously, I know I could never deal with all of this without my medicine.
I'd be a cranky, snappish, weepy mess.

I hope you can convince your daughter to talk to her doctor.
All the best,
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
suzan w

I take Paxil...no side effects for me. Been taking it for years for major chronic depression.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote